MISAOS CATEGORIES FOR 2016

Pages: first prev 1234 last
'Game Most Likely To Turn into a Shitty Webcomic '
honestly I don't really understand this one, but it was nominated as a category a few years running back in the day and it was discussed a lot.

'Most Egregious Style Clash'
this one people seemed really keen on it based on this thread's discussion

'Most Obvious Instance That A Game's Author Was High When They Made It'
I like the idea of the category of "trippy" game, and I also understand that having facetious award title names helps build interest in the misaos.
You know, I was thinking, since we're approaching the 10th anniversary of Misaos (on this website, that is), maybe we should have a special awards battle featuring all the classics. We can nominate for any classics and then have them battle it out for this special award. Maybe it can be called "Best Classic over the Past 10 Years" or something like that :)

Of course, this will require a special thread or something.
kentona
'Game Most Likely To Turn into a Shitty Webcomic '
honestly I don't really understand this one, but it was nominated as a category a few years running back in the day and it was discussed a lot.

To be honest the fact that it was nominated "back in the day" is probably a bad sign.

kentona
'Most Egregious Style Clash'
this one people seemed really keen on it based on this thread's discussion

Honestly it was just because this felt more like a negative award, which isn't what the rest of the misaos are? So it feels out of place. It's like if there was a random "Worst Game of the Year" misao.

kentona
'Most Obvious Instance That A Game's Author Was High When They Made It'
I like the idea of the category of "trippy" game, and I also understand that having facetious award title names helps build interest in the misaos.

Yeah, I get that it builds interest, but as we mentioned in the Slack it's kind of shitty thing to say about someone's art- mostly said because the viewer doesn't necessarily understand the piece or the message therein. Idk. I think that there could be better titles, even something like "Weirdest/Strangest Game" or "Most Unique Game" or something like that, which these types of games would fall into.
I would like to rename that award, but keep it, but I can't think of a suitable name. "Weirdest/Strangest Game" is just too bland and generic to really capture the sentiment being the award. Is there a semi-popular AAA game or movie that would work as a reference? Like "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" Award or something.

Imaginarium Supreme Award
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Best commercial game
Most Trippy Game perhaps? Keep it simple. We all know what trippy means and it has both good and bad connotations, so it can work either way.

Encyclopaedia Britannica's Game of the Year award
For the game with the most tongue-twisted, brain-burning dialogue.

The Four Elemental Crystals Award
For the game with the most cliches.

Jam-Packed and Fully-Loaded Award
For that game that turned out to be a lot more than the modest simplicity it originally seemed. Basically, games that turn out to be more than they seem.

After careful consideration, here is the finalized list of 22 categories for the 2016 Misaos:

-----Aesthetics
Raddest Setting
The game you feel had the most clever, inventive, interesting and immersive setting/world for the game to take place in.

Best Sound & Music
The best soundtrack and creative use of sound.

Trippiest Game
The game that was most strange, bizarre, psychedelic, offbeat, and quirky released this year.

Most RTP Game Award Nominations
The game that best uses the engine's default resources.

"Lawsuit Waiting To Happen" Award Nominations
The most non-chalant use of rips in a game.

-----Writing
Best Game Title
The most clever, original, witty, or cool game title of the year.

Best Storytelling and Direction
The project you think is most effective at telling its story. Think in terms of its presentation, writing, clarity, cutscene direction, and originality.

Best Protagonist/Characters
The game that had the best lead or cast.

"Kefka Award" Best Antagonist
(Antagonist means 'Villain')

Best Shyamalan
Game with the most twists or the most mind-blowing twist.

Best Intro
Which start of a game hooked you the most?

Best Finale
An ending can make or break a game. Which game had the best ending?

-----Gameplay/Technical
The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award
The game that displays the most technical prowess and feats of ingenuity in gameplay.

Best Gameplay Balance
The game with the most solid and balanced implementation.

Best Dungeon/Level/Puzzle Design
The best stages/dungeons or cleverest puzzles.

The Most Boss of Fights!
The game that delivers the best battles and challenges.

-----Fun/GOTY
Best Fan-Game
Self-obvious.

Most Fun And Addictive!
The game you had the hardest time putting down.

Best Old-School Game
A game so good it reminds you of the Golden RPG-era.

Sleeper Hit of the Year
The most underrated game of the year. The game everybody hears is good but nobody has bothered to play.

Most Promising Demo
The demo released this year you think has the most potential to be amazing.

Game of the Year
The absolute best game you played from RMN for the current year (any genre).

The 2016 Misaos are now open to nominations! Remember, you can nominate games you play throughout the year, and change your nominations at any time.
Now, as for that, Nessy and I (and maybe some of the other staff) will be compiling a list of the games each month that have come out and are applicable to be nominated for the Misaos. We'll also be giving a little blurb about the games in question. There may be LPs, both single and dual.

Hopefully these topics will point out the games that are out there but go unseen, as well as give you a run down of promising games to try out (and in some cases, entertaining videos to watch instead of playing so that you still get to see some of the games without having to play them yourselves. You know, if you're too busy/lazy/don't feel like/want to try them out).
Oh damn, you're getting rid of the best graphics and artwork category? D:
Yeah, actually why get rid of best graphics and artwork category? Like it or not, graphics form part of a game.

Other than that, though, the rest of the awards sound awesome.
Well why didnt you say somehing earlier?

E:
added.
Hmm I tried to nominate a game with a 2016 download as a test (eg. _fade, Star's Favor and Ara Fell), but the Nominate button isn't working?

EDIT: Not to mention the Misaos page doesn't show 2016.
author=eplipswich
Hmm I tried to nominate a game with a 2016 download as a test (eg. _fade, Star's Favor and Ara Fell), but the Nominate button isn't working?

EDIT: Not to mention the Misaos page doesn't show 2016.

weird.

I just went back in there and saved it again, and it all seems to be working now.
Pages: first prev 1234 last