THE DARKSIDE OF COCOA

Pages: 1
You know, I've always wondered : What's the benefit of using children instead of grown adults for these companies?
If we're talking slavery or slave-level wages, they can pay the same for an adult that they do for a child, and the adult will be more productive because of obvious physical advantages.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Children have no cost of living (since they're supported by their parents) so they can get away with asking for even less than desperate adults.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
For you to become enslaved requires that someone first have absolute power over you, and then that person must decide to sell you off. There aren't many people who have that level of power over adults. How do you enslave a capable adult in this day and age, exactly? (You would have to either risk your life kidnapping people, or run the government.) However, it's much easier to find a parent who is willing to sell their child. The children trust their parents, and can't really fight back.

In some cases there is just a level of social acceptability that plays into it also. For example, in China, it's common for a factory to come into a rural town and pay the local government to have itself classified as a high school. Then all the high school students are legally required to work at the factory for their "education." One of my parents' friends who grew up in China was actually enslaved in one of these factories for two years. From what she said, people are more willing to put up with this, since it's not really a significantly worse education than a normal high school in China. She didn't get paid, but she got out of high school and had work experience instead of history and biology knowledge. That makes a lot of people far more willing to look the other way, whereas they would certainly riot if adults were rounded up and taken forcibly to the factory.
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
We had lessons of this and it's been already exposed, especially of Africa's business partners and workers. Still, slavery is still common as poverty forces people to do this. But, education is a factor as well that kids consider doing this jobs for a living and they can't finish their education because their parents force them to do so.

And hey, I'm still sure that child labor and slavery is still around in the Phil. Old habits do die hard.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
LockeZ
For you to become enslaved requires that someone first have absolute power over you, and then that person must decide to sell you off. There aren't many people who have that level of power over adults. How do you enslave a capable adult in this day and age, exactly?

Migrant workers. They don't know their rights, and even if they did and informed the authorities, they'd be punished for being illegal immigrants anyway, so they're screwed no matter what they do...literally screwed. Often, the farm executives (yes, these large farms are corporate, owned by companies like Archer Daniel Midlands and Monsanto; that's how they can afford a huge staff of migrant workers...you don't think it's cheap to keep slaves do you?) force females of the family into the sex trade.

There is a law in place that protects them, and if they have indeed been exploited, they are ineligible for deportation, but even if everyone involved knows this, nobody cares unless an expensive lawyer tells them to. Of course, because of all the laws protecting corporations, they're immune to any kind of punishment, and only the people directly in charge get punished if caught. Even if higher ups admit to knowing what's going on, nobody can legally do anything.
Vaccaria
author=pianotm
LockeZ
For you to become enslaved requires that someone first have absolute power over you, and then that person must decide to sell you off. There aren't many people who have that level of power over adults. How do you enslave a capable adult in this day and age, exactly?
Migrant workers. They don't know their rights, and even if they did and informed the authorities, they'd be punished for being illegal immigrants anyway, so they're screwed no matter what they do...literally screwed. Often, the farm executives (yes, these large farms are corporate, owned by companies like Archer Daniel Midlands and Monsanto; that's how they can afford a huge staff of migrant workers...you don't think it's cheap to keep slaves do you?) force females of the family into the sex trade.

There is a law in place that protects them, and if they have indeed been exploited, they are ineligible for deportation, but even if everyone involved knows this, nobody cares unless an expensive lawyer tells them to. Of course, because of all the laws protecting corporations, they're immune to any kind of punishment, and only the people directly in charge get punished if caught. Even if higher ups admit to knowing what's going on, nobody can legally do anything.

I'm sure after that incident with Africa, people will be very strict about this kind of thing. Funny though... of how money changes our perception of reality.

Nestle can't escape anyway. And other companies as well.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
KatanaHiroshi
I'm sure after that incident with Africa, people will be very strict about this kind of thing. Funny though... of how money changes our perception of reality.

Nestle can't escape anyway. And other companies as well.

You think they care about Africa? This is Murica, where Trump became the most popular GOP candidate because he hates immigrants. And Nestle? Why should they care what happens in Africa? California is in its fifth year of drought but the government continues let them pump more and more water out of the The Golden State every year (they're up to 13.5 million gallons a year AND their factory is on an Indian Reservation).
Vaccaria
author=Napoleon
"The world suffers a lot, not because of the violence of bad people... it's because of the silence of good people."

Told you, money changes our perception of reality. They may not care, but we care. We're not like them, pianotm. We're not like them.
author=KatanaHiroshi
Told you, money changes our perception of reality.

Exactly. It's disgusting what greed makes people do to others, and as long as it still exists, all of these 'abolished' crimes are just going to continue.

I don't mean to sound like a preacher or anything with what I'm about to write, but there's always hope as long as there is good in the world. It may not change today or tomorrow, but I believe that it matters a lot in the long run.

Something good will happen for those people. Life wasn't made to be hard all the time.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Sometimes people just live hard lives and then die

No, you're right, some people do have really miserable lives. But, I think that really depends on us individually.

I believe good things do happen everyday, it's just up to us if we notice it or not. If we don't, misery follows, and if we continue not to, then you have the suicide cases.

No, I'm not trying at all to say anything calloused towards the people who are stuck in sweat shops and the like; I'm sure that it is terribly hard to find anything good in that sort situation. I was just trying to spread some feelings of hope.

Pages: 1