[FEB] MISAO MONTHLY ROUND-UP

Pages: first 12 next last
This year we're going to try and put into spotlight the games that come through the site which are eligible for the Misaos. This is one of many threads that will pop up over the course of the year to show the various games out there available for voting.

The aim of these threads is to get people talking and giving their opinions on the games that are eligible for this years' Misaos. Some of the staff have played some of the games and given their thoughts, and anyone who has played any of the games listed here can give a small summary of what they thought (or provide a link to reviews, Let's Plays or Let's Tries) and it will be added to the relevant post.

• Green, orange or red names in the posts below indicate games that have some summaries/content added.

• Greenmeans that it was well-received. Orange means that the game was mixed/average. Red means that people don't recommend the game/that it was badly received this month.

• Blue or Black names indicate games with no summaries/content.

• If you want to give a small summary about a game leave a post with the name and the content and it'll be added under the name of the game in the appropriate list. You can include a link to a review, Let's Play, Let's Try or the like with that, but we're really looking for quick little blurbs about each game so that people can just check under the name and see what others thought.

Dream Reality

A Quest for Heroes

Star Isis

Mafiosi 3

Ascending Dreams

RPG Fighter League

Elemental

Restless Dreams

Forsaken

Dragon Ascension

Blackened Souls

Dynastia 1 and 2

Chains of Fate

Battle Royale

_fade

Fable of Heroes III: The Starcrystal

Nakaishi Wars
Red_Nova
What little I've seen from the cast shows promise. They have a decent enough range in personalities that makes me curious to see how they would behave in a more complete game. However, the battles were pretty slow and uninteresting, as you can win by just spamming the ranged attack that comes standard with everyone. I'd recommend playing it without a full party size to get some challenge.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven

You Will be Loved

SMT: The Reborn World

Boss Blitz

BLANK

DEVIL::ender

Black Galax: Revert

Copy Cat
Ratty524
Copycat is a nice little romp for those looking for a short, cute little game to pass the time, but to anyone looking for a more moving or in-depth experience, it’ll sadly leave you unsatisfied. Truly, there isn’t a lot wrong with the game itself, but throughout my entire playthrough, I was witnessing great ideas being sadly under-utilized, and I was left hungry for more.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RMN: Make My Score~<3
Liberty
It's fun enough, though it can get a bit repetitive after a while and there are some bugs that need ironing out. That said, you get to date your fellow RMN members which is kinda cool.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red_Nova
It's a neat little time-killer that lets you date other RMN members. I kinda wanted to see the identity of the others that we didn't choose at the end just to glean a little insight into who answered what without having to replay the thing fifty million times, but I assume that's part of the show the game was emulating, so whatever.
I forgot what I answered in the questionnaire last year, but I honestly don't want to remember. I feel like I would cringe so hard I'd turn inside out.
CashmereCat
A decent RMN-flavoured Blind Date game probably more interesting to those engaged in the RMN community, and made more or less engaging by how interesting or dull the contestants you get rolled are. I was left wanting a way to find my best suited candidate out of all the candidates involved, not just the three I get randomly assigned each round, to get a true match for me, rather than choosing out of the three I happened upon. A dating simulator is the natural progression to this...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fable of Gretel

Three Cheers for the Strawman
Liberty
It's a neat little game that makes you examine your own feelings of worth. The battles are pretty cool once you know what to do and have all the tools, and there's two different endings. It can leave you feeling a bit down, though, but overall I quite enjoyed it. Also, it's short so there's no reason not to try it out.
Gourd_Clae
The atmosphere in this game is killer and the empathy I felt for the main character was very strong. The battles were decent albeit somewhat flawed due to the incorporation of randomness in other wise puzzle-like battles. Either way, the narrative is told in a compelling manner, and the game is worth checking out!

Virgin Ritual

The Hunt

Paradox of Creation

Erayu
Liberty
It's a longer game and a bit on the annoying side when it comes to movement, but overall it has an interesting plot and the amount of work put into the graphical details is really cool. So many poses!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dust

Fable of Heroes II: The Dark Ritual

Three Cheers for the Strawman

The atmosphere in this game is killer and the empathy I felt for the main character was very strong. The battles were decent albeit somewhat flawed due to the incorporation of randomness in otherwise carefully laid out puzzle-like battles. Either way, the narrative is told in a compelling manner, and the game is worth checking out!

This thread seems like a really good idea - I hope it kicks my butt into checking out more gams! <3

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Is it cool if I quote my review of Copycat here?

author=Ratty
Copycat is a nice little romp for those looking for a short, cute little game to pass the time, but to anyone looking for a more moving or in-depth experience, it’ll sadly leave you unsatisfied. Truly, there isn’t a lot wrong with the game itself, but throughout my entire playthrough, I was witnessing great ideas being sadly under-utilized, and I was left hungry for more.
That's fine. If you want to add a link to the review, I'll also add that in.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
... Were all these released just in February? Wow there are so. Many. Games. I feel so bad for not keeping up with these...

I guess, since it's the only one I played last month, here's my short thoughts on RMN: Make My Score~<3

It's a neat little time-killer that lets you date other RMN members. I kinda wanted to see the identity of the others that we didn't choose at the end just to glean a little insight into who answered what without having to replay the thing fifty million times, but I assume that's part of the show the game was emulating, so whatever.
I forgot what I answered in the questionnaire last year, but I honestly don't want to remember. I feel like I would cringe so hard I'd turn inside out.
Yup, these are the games that were released in just February. I should add a link to the January thread in the OP. I'll be doing this every month and I think around the 6-month mark make a thread with the top-rated (over 3.5 stars) and unrated ones so that people can see what the best games are on the site and also which ones need some love.

It's my hope that keeping peoples' eyes on the games list will give some exposure so that we don't have all the same games for each category.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
T-there was a January thread? The OP said this was the first in the series, though.

*Checks*

Oh man I don't know what is anything anymore.
Hey, this is a really cool idea!
Red_Nova
Just played Nakaishi Wars.

What little I've seen from the cast shows promise. They have a decent enough range in personalities that makes me curious to see how they would behave in a more complete game. However, the battles were pretty slow and uninteresting, as you can win by just spamming the ranged attack that comes standard with everyone. I'd recommend playing it without a full party size to get some challenge.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
My thoughts about ~RMN: Make My Score~

A decent RMN-flavoured Blind Date game probably more interesting to those engaged in the RMN community, and made more or less engaging by how interesting or dull the contestants you get rolled are. I was left wanting a way to find my best suited candidate out of all the candidates involved, not just the three I get randomly assigned each round, to get a true match for me, rather than choosing out of the three I happened upon. A dating simulator is the natural progression to this...

Just a question... what about those games that one has already written a review for? Should one provide a quick summary for them also?
unity
You're magical to me.
Or just link to the review? Or both? ^_^
Red_Nova
The third bullet in the first post said you can do either one. So yeah, definitely link the reviews.
CashmereCat
I would've thought that should be included on the list automatically. Maybe this page can be for paragraph-long summaries rather than pages-long reviews.
Red_Nova
If you want to add in paragraph-long summaries instead, then you're more than free to. Linking a review is just an option.
CashmereCat
Ah, right. I was just wondering what was the point of linking reviews to each game manually, when you can just visit the gamepage and they'll be there.

Edit: Anyway, as for Misao discussion, I think that Three Cheers will be up there on my top games of the year in the end, but perhaps not lengthy enough to bring it in for the long haul. I still need to play Ascending Dreams. It looks like a worthy contender.

Edit #2: RMN make my score seems a little short and niche to be considered overall, but may be a contender in a playful category. Erayu also looks promising, having been in development for so long and with much support.
It is for SHORT summaries. Any links to reviews/LPs/LTs are secondary. I should clarify that the links are the optional part and the short paragraph is the thing we're really looking for.

The thread is partly a quick "I want to play a new game. Let me see which of the newer ones are up my alley/what's worth checking out." and partly "What games should I keep an eye on for the Misao voting/nominating? Which ones count for it?"
Hello Liberty.
I think
Fable of Heroes II: The Dark Ritual was released 2015(?)Just wanted to tell.
Pages: first 12 next last