WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?

Didn't finish Freakonomics. I'm not as into economic fun facts as kentona. :< Finished General, but I didn't like it as much as Garcia Marquez's other books. Too dark and repetitive. But I guess it was mostly non-fiction

If On a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino and Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov. Both are intwesting. I can see Lolita getting annoying and Winter's Night getting frustrating though. We'll see.
post=Orig
If On a Winter's Night a Travelerby Italo Calvino and Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov
these are both fantastic

re-reading Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy for the umpteenth time because it is the best book and also because i want to forget that the film adaptation will probably be godawful

going to read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse afterward because i've always wanted to but never have and finally manned up and bought a copy
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Is that trilogy worth reading or should I just watch the movies? They seem really interesting but I gots lotsa other books to read.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Orig
i]The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

!!!!!!!

I read this recently. Fucking governess. I'm actually written a skit between the governess and her employer on a date right now (for a class; I do not do nineteenth century fanfics).
Death with Interruptions by José Saramago.
Invisible Cities is my favourite Italo Calvino book (actually possibly my favourite book period??), I've tried to get into If On A Winter's Night a few times but idk the central conceit always seemed too cutesy to me.

I'm reading a collection of William Blake poems, they rule, they're good poems 5/5. I am not even POETRY GUY in general but I like them a whole lot. The only thing is that the latter half of the book is mostly selections from Blake's longer "prophetic" books which are like ridiculously dense private mythologies which read like Phillip K. Dick's schizophrenic christianity in "Valis" or possibly just some of the stuff here http://www.phoenixsourcedistributors.com/

Jerusalem tells the story of the fall of Albion, Blake's embodiment of man, Britain, or the western world as a whole.

The poetic narrative takes the form of a "drama of the psyche", couched in the dense symbolism of Blake's self-constructed mythology.

Because it includes a cast of billions, Jerusalem can seem confusing. The poem does not have a linear plot. Characters morph in and out of each other. A character can be a person and a place. Jerusalem, the Emanation of Albion, is a woman and a city. Albion, "the Universal Humanity," is a man and a land (Britain). He contains twelve sons who co-inhere with the twelve tribes of Israel, as well as Four Zoas. Every Zoa (embodying a life principle) has an Emanation (a feminine figure through which the human can become divine). The Zoas and Emanations include:

Tharmas, the primal man, linked with Enion, an earth mother.
Urthona, the spirit of inspiration, embodied in Los, the prophetic artist, who forges a city of art in his furnaces. Enitharmon, his Emanation, weaves beams of beauty.
Luvah, the "feeling-function" Zoa is Albion's spectre, whose counterpart, Vala, is Jerusalem's shadow. Vala eroticises war.
Urizen embodies Reason. Gracious Ahania is his Emanation.

This is like a final fantasy game jesus christ COLLECT THE FOUR ZOAS> I want to get into it at some point but I suspect it's more effort than I'm willing to spend at the moment!
I dig Italo Calvino's style and Invisible Cities sounds really interesting, so I'll be sure to check it out eventually. Winter's Night is pretty cutesy when it comes down to it, basically being a love-letter to the act of reading, but it's really unique, a mystery novel strung together by a series of really beautiful scenes with cliffhanger endings. Kinda like dreams.

Death with Interruptions was interesting. I'll have to give it a good amount of thought. I know what it's about, but there aren't any definite messages, everything is really allegorical and vague.

Reading Anthem by Ayn Rand on audiobook because I hate myself. The first five minutes summed up everything the book has to stay, but it keeps going and going and going... COLLECTIVISM IS SIN. EGO IS THE ONLY RIGHTEOUS PATH. ROOOAR. I am Ayn Rand now excuse me while I have sex with people who are not my husband.

Now I wanna read a young adult book. Something simple but still good. I have The Giver which I heard good things about, but my cute little friend wants me to read Harry Potter since I was too busy reading things that were way above me in elementary and middle school. Anyone have any other good suggestions for young adult books?
The Takers - RW Ridley

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

Will start soon:

The Shack - WM Paul Young
The Lost Hero - Rick Riordan

author=Orig
Is that trilogy worth reading or should I just watch the movies? They seem really interesting but I gots lotsa other books to read.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

Personally, I think so. I just received the movie and I'm going to watch it tonight hopefully, once I get finished with my writing-two-pages-a-day-quota. I'm going to read the second book after I get through my current pile.

There's a lot of backstory in 'Tattoo', which I know bothered some people although I wasn't bothered by it. The plot, I thought was good and I didn't have issues with the writing itself (although the characters love to drink coffee, smoke, and fuck).

You can't really box it into a specific genre, and I'm a sucker for things that can't be easily defined. It's an acquired taste for sure, but I loved it. Make of that what you will. =P
That just means you have either
A) good tastes
or
B)weird tastes
and yes youcan fit into both(I know I do)
Hm, I'll consider it. They seem fairly well written, but even though the adventure/mystery aspect sounds really cool I dunno if there's enough substance to back it up.

I listened to the John Cleese recording of The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. It was beautiful.

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami. The stories are either good or decent. Some are okay. And others are awesome.

Now I'm listening to TTC lectures, currently one on poetry. They're cool beans and it's like woah man I'm smart all of a sudden. William Wordsworth William Carlos Williams why so many "w"s I bet that means something stylistically duuuude

Also trucking through The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli, in case I ever become a fascist dictator.
I'm reading the 3rd rangers apprentice book
author=Orig
Reading Anthem by Ayn Rand on audiobook because I hate myself. The first five minutes summed up everything the book has to stay
more like summed up everything ayn rand has to say :iceburn:

Invisible Cities is a better book than If On A Winter's Night, i think, but the latter still is very neat if nothing else. as much as i hate the word 'cutesy' i guess it describes the book p t well. i'd say it's worth reading in any case

oh and i also hate myself and am reading ulillillia's seminal novel The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters. if someone ever asks me "what is asperger's syndrome?" my response will be opening this book to any given page and reading it aloud. please pm me if you would like to come to my house and murder me (the sooner the better)
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Nearly finished The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
I am currently reading...

Tim Waggoner's Nekropolis
I'm currently reading The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger and The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya (Hardback woop!)
Stephen King - IT
Douglas Clegg - Nightmare House
I read three novels.

Kokoro by Soseki
No Longer Human by Dazai
Twenty-four Eyes by Tsuboi

I really liked all of them. Kokoro had a strange style. Not in the modern sense of strange though.
Kokoro was real cool. Didn't over stay its welcome and seems to be a good summation of a lot of the key themes to Japanese literature. Or at least the stuff I've read. No Longer Human was badass, I remember I read the whole thing in one night. I almost feel like it's an "extreme" version of Kokoro.

Heart of Darkness by Joesph Conrad. I'm reading it for English class. First part was boring and I got frustrated with it, second part was much better, and now the third part is excellent.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Bram Stroker's Dracula.