WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Played Bubsy 3D: The Jack Whatever Retrospective or whatever its called.

I wasn't that moved by it since I watched an LP of it beforehand, but all I can say are the controls are shit, and it was an interesting experience, to say the least.

Now I want to play the real Bubsy 3D.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
This just in: Skullgirls is still AWESOME and FUN.
author=BowelMovement
author=turkeyDawg
My sister and I played some Super Monkey Ball today. Apparently there is a split-screen mode where you race head-to-head on the regular levels. A tiny problem is that the timer never resets, so on some levels it's pretty easy to end up with no players reaching finish because they fell off only once. We did a line-up of 5 of some of the more difficult courses and were tied for first place by the end of it with 0 points each! Still fun as hell, though.

Monkey Billiards ended up being a blast, too, as we decided to only go for trick shots. Honestly, it's hard to say what's more amazing: the shots we got on purpose; or the shots that we missed, but then turned into even more amazing shots. Like, "hit the ball, bounce around the table, and then hit the ball again into the side pocket" kind of amazing. I'm rather sad that there's no replay saving in that mode...
I have a feeling you might really like Monkeys.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that.

Well, I mean, monkeys are pretty awesome. As are other primates.
But really lizards are where it's at.

Monkey Billiards is a mini-game within Super Monkey Ball. I don't have Super Monkey Ball and then also a separate game called Monkey Billiards. Not that there would be anything wrong with that if I did.

But seriously, SMB Expert Mode is fucking hard. I don't usually want to avoid a game simply because it's hard, but hot damn, man, that ish is redank.
Picked up Runbow on Wii U today. Me and my room mate have been enjoying the hell out of it- it's quickly becoming one of my favourite indie games.

I've been playing FFX HD as well, for the first time pretty much. I played the original way back when but didn't get very far and don't remember shit all about it. It's pretty enjoyable so far, although I find it a bit unexpected that my favourite of the main cast so far is Wakka of all people- although I've only just reached Kilika after the Sin attack on the boat, so we'll see how that holds up.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
I started playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance last night.

Up to the AI doggy and almost beat it twice and will once I attempt it again.
author=Ratty524

Prepare to experience eye cancer.

I'd put on protective goggles beforehand.
Ratty524
author=zacheatscrackers
author=Ratty524
Prepare to experience eye cancer.

I'd put on protective goggles beforehand.

I just played it, and I felt a combination of sensory deprevation, depression, aggravation and fatigue from how unfun the game is.

Like seriously, "what could possibly go wrong" with this game? EVERYTHING! I saw some LPs of this shit and thought it was only "kind of" bad, but now that I've beaten the game, I have to conclude that it's nearly abysmal.

This game has two major flaws: It's control scheme and its lack of camera control. You move Bubsy like a tank, with only one button to move him forward and two others to help him turn (he also turns SLOOOOOW), and when jumping, he can't face any other direction other than where you you were facing previously. Top that off with the screwy hitboxes enemies seem to have, and the platforming not only feels wonky, you are making complete "guess-jumps" because you are locked into one POV while jumping on objects that are placed to the side of you. Which brings up the second problem: the camera. You can only control it by moving Bubsy at the same time, and jumping automatically faces you towards the ground.

That would be fine if the level design was built around that, but it sure as hell isn't! There are tight jumps along moving platforms that you have to make in this game, and they may be below you where you can't see them unless you jump. The reverse also applies; you can barely tell what platforms are above you unless you stand still and don't jump. It's near impossible to adequately judge the distance of your jumps in general, because of the way the camera is positioned, and did I mention that this game LOVES to put you through tight jumps and hardcore platforming? Yeah, it's that unplayable.

Another thing to mention is that nearly every enemy in this game can either fire a projectile or charge into you, and they can do it from behind; off screen. Since you have no camera control other than your tank-turning, it makes it impossible to react to sudden back-attacks and you'll get hit CONSTANTLY for seemingly no reason. Trying to bounce off enemies is already a frustrating chore that gets you hit more often than not, so having shit flying towards you from off screen makes the whole experience even worse.

I guess I was expecting this game to either get slightly better or stay at consistent level of suck, but I was wrong, it got WORSE! Levels started implementing gimmicks like underwater levels, which ironically controls better than the regular platforming stages, but not by much. Then the levels start becoming massive, in the sense that they have zero direction. There is no mini-map in this game, so you are bound to get lost. Later levels have these shitty flying rocket-riding sections which demand even more precision platforming, and falling off doesn't lead to death, but painstakingly climbing back ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP of a level to ride the rockets again, all while suffering through the terrible controls and obnoxious enemies.

There are three bosses in this game, too, and they all all terrible. The first one is a fight against some alien scientist that you'd think is impossible until you realize you can... Hover above the energy beams he fires and jump on top of him? You have absolutely no way to telegraph this, because all these beams do is splatter on the floor and glow, it doesn't create a visible whirlwind so the whole thing makes no sense. His arena is also surrounded by teleport tiles to keep you inside, and expect to be conveniently teleported right to the spot where the alien is going to shoot you.

The second boss is surprisingly easier than the first, at least his attack pattern and strategy isn't as obtuse. It has its fake difficulty, though, due to having a hitbox larger than its graphic and you lack of ability to control the camera means that you can hardly see him as he charges at you from behind, let alone land the specifically timed jumps you need to make.

The final boss is the crappiest of them all, and hard for all the wrong reasons. The objective here is to activate a switch which unlocks atoms for you to launch at the alien king and queen. The way "atoms" work in this game is that you either walk up to them to straight up collect them and do nothing with them, like every other generic platformer, or you can hold the square button to pick up an individual atom to shoot at an enemy. The only way to do the latter is by controlling an atom that's already on the field, you have no ammo reserve of atoms other than from a special power-up. As an added bonus, atoms will self-destruct if you hold them for too long, costing you a life.

Why is this bad in this boss fight? The twin bosses are constantly teleporting and firing projectiles at you, and every atom is positioned towards the edge of the area. With the already terrible controls, you have to CAREFULLY nab an atom without "collecting" it, turn around, then AIM to fire at the boss, all while praying to god that either the bosses don't break your stance by firing a beam at you, missing your shots, or holding the atom long enough for it to blow up in your face. You also only have a limited time to do this because the switch to release the atoms will eventually deactivate. It's a painful, PAINFUL chore of a boss fight.

Because I didn't get all of the stupid collectible rockets that dot the levels, I got the bad ending of this game, but to that all I can say is "fuck you, game, I'm DONE!" Bubsy 3D is shit! x_x

PS I'm surprised there are very few walkthroughs of this game at present. Does this mean I'm one of the few people who managed to get this far in the game at all?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
If the game is such a pain to play as you say then maybe yes, you'd be one of the few privileged persons to endure the game for long enough to get to such a point.
...holy shit, Ratty.

It's okay, buddy. Come into the warm blanket. It's allllll over.
BizarreMonkey
I remember liking Bubsy3D as a kid but then again this is the same youngster who ate bread with mayonnaise and salt on it so I guess impressionable younger me got a kick out of it.
I thought I should play more of the critically acclaimed video game classics - I did try a few, where I liked some but not others.

Super Metroid is amazing. Not much need for talking about it. Only the entry to Maridia is pretty unintuitive.

Final Fantasy is something I couldn't stand. I tried all of 1-7, with most of them having the same problem: All of the games were terribly drawn out, partially bad with conveyance about where to go and completely devoid of depth AND challenge. I also saw pieces of X-2, 12 and 13, which didn't help at all.

Space Invaders is interesting - while the game is massively simplistic, it's surprising how challenging and exciting it was.
BizarreMonkey
For final fantasy, I would recommend 9, it's probably the best in the series.

If you want a good and actually charming RPG though, Epic Battle Fantasy IV has you covered.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
author=BM
If you want a good and actually charming RPG though, Epic Battle Fantasy IV has you covered.

I second this! I've gotten to the final boss on Epic difficulty with a good amount of trouble. Too bad the final boss tears my ass apart, I may actually have to grind a bit for the first time in this game in... ever.
Playing through Evoland 2. Altough I did like the first game, unlike many others, I have to say this one is way better! :D
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3. First Dynasty Warriors sort of game I've ever played. The gameplay is pretty repetitive but, if you like the subject matter, then it's not too bad. Having fun trying out the characters I'm unlocking. I have about seven or eight, but have only used three so far. Right now, I think that Tashigi > Zoro > Luffy.
Ratty524
author=Ilan14
Playing through Evoland 2. Altough I did like the first game, unlike many others, I have to say this one is way better! :D

Why did people NOT like the first game? O_o
I thought I heard that it was not well recieved, or perhaps that's what I heard from some reviewers...
Ratty524
author=Ilan14
I thought I heard that it was not well recieved, or perhaps that's what I heard from some reviewers...

Yeah, I saw some mixed reviews of it myself, but I personally got a kick out of it, and the only thing I didn't really like was the tacked-on RPG mechanics whereas the Zelda-styled combat system was more enjoyable.
I play a lot of games at once...on different systems.

On Computer:
-100% Orange Juice
-Homework Salesman

On 3DS:
-Solitaire 5 in 1
-Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
-Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley
-Mario Kart 7

On Kindle:
-Kuri Pets
-Terraria
-The Blockheads
-Dino Pets
-Tiny City
-Kingdoms and Lords
...you guys get the point of my randomness right?
I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 1, 4, and Untold 2 all at once WHY AM I STARTING A NEW GAME ON EO3 AS WELL
someone save me from the dungeon crawling, I told myself I wouldn't get around to beating 1 and U2 if I added 4 to the mix, and instead of focusing on one and beating it I'm just adding more to the pile, why