THE CRAZE NUMBER

Pages: first 1234 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
A few years ago, maybe four or five, I was well-known around GW and whatnot for being absolutely prolific at creating games and then dumping them. I've been exploring a lot of old files and whatnot, so now you get to see The Craze Number. Some guy the previously-guessed amount of time ago said that "one day Craze would release everything as one giant file." Well, I can't do that as much of it is lost (though I might dig through some old laptops to find some stuff), I think... was it Psyburn? Well, whoever it was, I think that it'd be cool to show the community some of the stuff I've done that I have documented.

This is kind of like a blog, but very much open to discussion and questions. If you want to steal an idea, go ahead. Most likely, 90+ percent or more of what I make from now on will be with Karsuman.

First off, some food for thought: I've been making games since I was in middle school six-seven years ago now. Actually, that's not true - when I didn't have consoles I made board games as a child that I later learned were basically Age of Empires but better. Yeah, lost the rules for those, too. I also made a game about whales, but... let's forget about that. Here's the actual food, I guess: I've probably made at least two hundred hours worth of gameplay in games. I've released at least fifty hours worth of gameplay worth of games, but nobody knows about anything except EMDE!2, Demon Tower and V&V. Yeah.

Posts in this topic will be made on a per-game basis. It will probably start fast and slow down as I have to dig around deeper. If you have any of the games I show, have screenshots from something I've made saved, or even remember some random game you think I made and want me to talk about, post here or PM me. I'll try to cover your request//submission as best I can.
Craze
Final Fantasy Fangame/F3/Forget-me-nots/DRESS

A prince, two snotty nobles and slightly less snotty noble set out on a journey to another castle so that a marriage can take place. Along the way, a bad man (the Kain guy saying "G'night, loves," which is what I would say when quitting IRC in the evenings due to my love of LeBlanc) teleports the travelers to a cave with secret passages and an evil cabal plotting. They escape and then rescue a town taken over by the cabal and do some other stuff and the nobles learn to love and yeah. Then the hero turns into a zombie, his princess bride becomes a magus, and some other stuff and other stuff and yeah. It's a complete game that I'll find the link for on iish's site eventually.

It has a nickname of "DRESS" because the bet was that I couldn't finish a game. I did, however, and as such did not have to wear a dress - except that it had a fatal mistake: I forgot some teleport events and somehow never noticed during testing. I faked a dress; I might post the picture later. It's beautiful.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
I had a really similar idea a few days ago.

The graphics look pretty unique. I might of played it if it ever came out.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
yessssssss

I mean, uh: More please.

EDIT: Why not FFI-2 next?
Craze
I have no idea but it involved FF

It was a game with lots of PCs and it involved Final Fantasy. It was one of my first attempts at facesets. It never had any gameplay and I think the story revolved around a gay paladin or something.
LouisCyphre
Those are some... pretty good facesets!
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Pretty good for a first attempt. The gay paladin story interests me more than the previous game.
Craze
Chasing April

Chasing April was about three friends finding April, a mutual friend and influential woman, paralyzed in front of a fountain. In order to save her before she develops a severe bout of insanity (or something) they go inside her mind and navigate her nightmares...

...not the most original idea, but one of my more poignant. I remember putting a lot of feeling into this game, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted so I dropped it. This began a series of heartfelt projects, iirc. You'll see something very similar when Greatwars comes around; both were heavily inspired by my friendship with trance2 (something you'll see as well).

This was going to be the final boss music: http://pub.gamingw.net/38451/~~FinalBattle&hearts.mp3
In fact, I remember actually building the final boss first - it was pretty awesome. I stole the idea of the villain for later projects: it was a dark magician named Arcturus. Some of my more rabid fans know who I'm talking about. In this case, you fought him at high speed (levitating) over a swamp.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=105413
I think the story revolved around a gay paladin or something.

so it was an ff4 remake?
Craze
tardis: Haha.

arcan: DRESS is a full game. You can download it on iish's site, called Queen's Court (not the gay bar).

chaos: In due time, my friend, in due time. If you have FFI-2 I suggest uploading it so that I can have a download!
Craze
Fuck I have no idea

It says "TSB" in the title but I can't think of any of my games with that abbreviation. =/ Also, yes, I understand that I am absolutely horrible at art.

I'll just add this image to further the confusion:

Craze
Disasteriffic! Rose's Pilgrimage

A young man tries to impress a princess, then winds up taking her on a journey to... I never decided, I just wanted to make a game that poked fun at FF10's pilgrimage. The entire game was played in two dimensions, like Valkyrie Profile (sans battles). It also was totally in love with ZOMGPANORAMAS.

I really love FF5 battlechars.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I made another game every similar to this as well but I don't think it has any screenshots anywhere. I made lightmaps for it for awesome shadows that appeared over the player and everything. :<
Craze
I have made so much more than worldsong

Tomorrow: One of my first giant non-linear adventures, chaos's favorite fangame, my first co-op project and something "like fighting knuckles, only with more nuptials."
LouisCyphre
I remember so many of your games it's unnerving.
DRESS/Forget me nots was pretty good, actually. I remember playing it, though I could have sworn it was only a demo. Huh. Maybe I didn't finish it or something?

Roses Pilgrimage? I think I recall those screens shots or something like them from quite a while ago. The name rings a bell as well.

Chasing April looks interesting.

I should do one of these topics - so many games started and left for dead. ;.;
Craze
A Dark World

(This first image was a messagebox text iirc)

Wow. This was one of my first giant non-linear adventures; I think it had at least five hours of gameplay (possibly more) when I eventually dumped it for... who knows. It was a mix of a lot of RM* icons and characters in one single world.

A man and a woman have two big issues: their best friend is acting strangely (a parallel to Greatwars and Chasing April - even using the same charset as April/Dr. Trance) and they're preparing to deal with the Demonvoid Release. The hero and heroine are part of the chosen soldiers to take place during this event; the royalty is going to open up a portal to the demonic dimension and have an army kill everything that comes out. From a logical standpoint of clearing out the horrors, this makes sense... but doubts are flying, and it's just a scary thought overall if something goes wrong.

You travel the world, collecting recruits and - during what I had finished (the majority of one continent) - finding stuff to help protect you during the Demonvoid Release. It was going to go horribly wrong (of course) and you had to eventually climb up demonic towers to purge the new threats. This also went hand-in-hand with my Daybringer/Nightlifter games, where demons darkened the entire world with their evil. The title (A Dark World) was about how it was going to be an eternal night when the Demonvoid Release failed.

SEE HOW MANY REFERENCES TO OTHER GAMES YOU CAN FIND GO
Craze
Demon Tower (Original)

Download link: http://rpgmaker.net/users/Craze/locker/DemonTower.zip
Beware, the dungeon design is randomly generated. =P

Oh, wait, what? You thought that Demon Tower was by itself in the DT franchise? Nope. This is the original Demon Tower, which the one you know now was an evolved form of. In this version, Fighters were useful. XD

It was one of my first forays into serious balancing of roles. At the start of the game, you made your party by picking a Heavy Fighter/Tank (Demon Knight/Jesse or Paladin/Kristoph), a Light Fighter (Master/Felix, Pirate/Stefan, or Prostitute/Ha'naan's equivalent), a Mage (Pyromancer/Princess, Ice Magus/Illinois, or Sage/Eon Feather), and a Healer (Cleric/Apnis or Medic/Martin IV). Their roles were transferred directly into the more recent Demon Tower, made in RMVX. I really liked this way of party creation - I should probably have incorporated it into the most recent Geondun.

The characters themselves didn't exist in this version of the game, and neither really did any story. Fun fact: the final boss of this game was going to use the same graphic that the final boss of Visions & Voices eventually did.

The skill system somewhat like the current DT. In this game, by simply winning battles you'd eventually gain skills for some classes - others required you to hold a character at a certain HP level, attack so many times, or whatever. It was weird.
Craze
Glowheart

yeah idk
Pages: first 1234 next last