SUPER MARIO BROS. X HELP THREAD -

Pages: first 123 next last
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Peeps should definitely take a read, or follow along with these tuts. SMBX can be pretty boggling at first. Like; how to make your map wider... or how to make NPCs... or how to make pipes! It's almost counter-intuitive when compared to something easy like RPG Maker.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Timed events. Can't figure them out. Help?

edit: nvm found my answer
Magi
Resident Terrapin
A couple questions: Is there any way to make bloopers float around in the water as well as air? Kind of like how they sometimes did in SMB? I am trying to get them to float around but they just fall without the presence of water.

Also, stars. Can you only have one per stage or one per stage section?

3. Can you extend the length of the p-switch timer through events???
Thanks GRS.

Although I have to disagree, if anything, this is easier than RPG Maker (which is a good thing). Some things can be tricky, like any new program of course, but I've been at it for only about an hour and I'm already on my serious level attempt with no problems! If any of you guys were hesitant to try this because of complexity, don't worry, it's pretty easy to learn!

Suckass interface, though.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Okay so...basically, my question (which is not covered in any of the documentation is) how do you make the map scroll with mario? I don't mean anything advanced like an autoscrolling level. I just mean...okay. I am testplaying a sky level and I am moving upwards as I am moving right. The "camera" pans right but it does not follow me upwards. I tried stretcihing out the upper border and it helped maybe 10% but it doesn't fix the problem no matter how far I stretch it.

This is pretty serious as it doesn't allow me to build any verticality at all into levels.

What am I missing?
Magi
Also, stars. Can you only have one per stage or one per stage section?

An engine limitation is while you can have as many stars in any section and the game will count them all when determining the number of stars in a level. However collecting one star in a level section will turn all stars in that section to 'collected' grey stars (and collecting grey stars won't increase the star count). Stars have to be in their own section as far as I can tell. Otherwise you'll get stars you can't collect since getting one in a section will make them all grey and collecting a grey star won't increase the star count.

For Super RMN Bros., it's one star per submitted level.

Feldschlacht 4
Some things can be tricky, like any new program of course

I agree: You can make a Mario level with some interesting features pretty quickly. My first level even has multiple moving airships moving at their own speeds! Figuring out how to do some things will take time as it is a new editor that nobody knows yet as as everybody pretty much agrees the interface is terrible which isn't making things any easier. See: All the questions on how to expand levels. It's easy but the interface for it is abysmal.

Max
This is pretty serious as it doesn't allow me to build any verticality at all into levels.

The screen won't pan with Mario as long as he is close to the lower border of the map. Expand the top border and give lots of stuff for Mario to move up on. Even a tall staircase or something. I got the screen to follow Mario's upward climb without any tricks besides giving Mario a path to move upwards on.

Everybody
stuff I didn't respond to

I don't know
I have a question; how do I make a level scroll in one section and not another?
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I figured out the problem I was having. It is very stupid.

Feld:
Layers. I think.

Edit:
I love this editor. I'm really happy with my first level (it is a quintessential 1-1 kind of world) even though it was made before I understood how to use layers or events.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Here's a few questions from things I ran into last night.

1) Can I make an event fire off two more events?
2) I need an NPC to fire an event once. The only thing I can think of to stop this is to remove that layer when the event is done.
3) How do you spawn NPCs, like a bullet bill?
4) How do you change the spawn rate of bullet bills from the cannon?
There is a Generator button in the NPC tab. (There is also a directionality button for Left Right Up Down).

So, select Bullet Bill, pick his direction, and press the Generator button. In the new window, select Projectile, and the delay rate. Place bullet bill on the map somewhere (probably on a cannon head).
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I've been trying this out and it's been a little buggy for me, yet cool at the same time.

The game keeps freezing every time a message box appears. I've pressed every key so far and it doesn't go away. :(
It was happening to me, but there was a key that unfroze. I noticed that it was not actually freezing, it's just that the message box wasn't showing. Try pressing z.
Ratty524
The level expansion is frusterating me. I went to level settings > level boundaries> top then I clicked the top edge of my level and nothing seems to be happening.
Scroll up (mouse over the level editor window and use the direction arrows) and click in the grey area.
Ratty524
Great, now I feel stupid. :P Thanks.
Is it possible to disable the SNES controls for a level (I'm thinking of the spin jump)? I'm designing with the NES in mind (and only mushrooms as power ups). I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference but still.

So far I've made a really short beginner's level. I'll have to come up with some nice concept for a proper level.
Program keeps locking out on Windows 7 32-bit once I leave the program running in the background. Anyone else have this problem?
I use XP, so no problems here.

Also some things I noticed/wondered about:
-Where is the Starman (invincibility)?
-Where are the Hammer bros.? I am thinking the SMB3 ones where they'd have things like boomerangs and whatnot.
-It seems like I need far more room to build up to flying speed than I remember
-Having a warp pipe on a scrolling layer leads to instant death
-The "casting delay" on the fireball seems a tad too long.
-I hope the next version contains those ice blocks that you can melt with fireballs! I loved that in SMB3.
It's most likely just me, but when you turn on the music in editor, how the hell do you turn it off? I'm going insane and I cannot find an answer anywhere.
Pages: first 123 next last