HALI ENTERED AN ART TOURNAMENT

Pages: 1
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
but hali your art sucks ass

A specific kind of art tournament known as an OCT (original character tournament). Basic premise, artists submit a character of their own creation, are paired up against each other, and create a comic in which their character overcomes their opponent's. The entries are submitted and judged, then the better of the two proceeds to the next round.

The one I entered is
! Yes, it's hosted on deviantArt.

This is the second OCT I've been involved in. As some of you may know, I made it all the way to the finals of the last one I participated in! This time around, I decided I'd let you guys in on the fun.

Linked below are the tourney account, character I entered with, and the intro and first round pages. I've already completed my round one entry, and the round's deadline is set for the 14th of March. So we have some time before we'll find out if I move on or not. In the meantime, you can enjoy what I wrote and tell me why I don't stand a chance.

And yes, it is a Pokémon OCT.

Big Sky Carnival

My character, Rayne Daunce.

Intro
Round 1: Vs. Peepaboo

The rest of the pages are linked together through the artist comments on dA.

Wish me luck!
halibabica
All right, the first round of this thing ended just last night! My opponent got their entry up super-late, and after reading it, I'm not particularly worried.

But we won't find out the results for about a week or so. There were 287 entrants, and 209 of them managed to post something, so...that's kind of a lot of judging to be done!
halibabica
If art quality was the only judging category, I might agree.
i'm sorry but i don't think even writing of this caliber can save you...

halibabica
-_-

Yes, pull out the ice pun that is intended to be humorous by being awful. This is a perfectly representative example.

It's hard to tell how much writing will count for in this tourney. The first round can tell a lot. We'll have to wait and see what the judges say. Dangit, now I'm nervous.
halibabica
Well, I didn't get

from Jericho
fucking murdered

...but I did still lose. I scored 82 points for my entry, but my opponent scored 95. It was mostly the weakness of my art that led to this. I wasn't sure how much they'd knock it for, but it didn't fare too well. Although there were a number of weaknesses I could pick out of my opponent's story, they didn't count enough against them.

What's really too bad is that there were a multitude of people that I would have beaten. It was bad luck getting paired up with someone this good so early. There's no way I would have won the tournament, but I could have made it to at least round two or three.

So, what now? Well, the cool thing about this tournament is that they encourage these things called spectator entries. Basically, if you were one of the entrants who lost, you can still participate for points 'n stuff. You get a different prompt than the competitors at the start of each round, and your entries are scored on the same rubric. You can use the points you accumulate at the end to buy some prizes. So I'm gonna do that! Maybe I can get a shirt or something.

EDIT: Welp, round 2 has started! The contestants have their prompt, and the spectators have their own. It's time to start cranking out ideas again.

Not that any of you care.
Pages: 1