WHAT ARE YOU IN THIS FOR?

author=Shinan
Stories eh? In hide tags?

There is the early days story. Which is that I've always wanted to make games, tell stories and whatnot. There was a gaming magazine that talked about a shoot em up maker for the SNES and I thought it was cool. Before that I drew crayon levels in kindergarten and pretended to play through them.

And you know the usual stuff.

There is the middle days story. I found gamemaking stuff. Thought it was awesome. With communities and whatnot. The newbie's excitement. Though before that was also other attempts at boardgame type things. Being introduced to roleplaying games and the dungeon crawler type roleplaying boardgames there were loads and loads of custom campaigns, Blood Bowl leagues and football boardgames that required and arbiter. The idea of a gamemaster was exciting.
And then games could do storytelling suddenly and making an open roleplaying experience in the computer game world wasn't entirely unfeasible. The newbie dream of awesome games.

There is the more recent history. This community. A certain kind of cynisism. I now "know" I can't actually make "that" game. I haven't really made proper games a lot because. Well. There's another thread that I didn't write in. Or I did write but then didn't submit. "What's your audience" My audience is actually me. However I'm insanely hard to please and whenever I have to cut back on stuff to make it doable and sound from a game design perspective I get disappointed in the game. To me it's a shit game.
Nowadays I'm also very interested in game design from a theoretical perspective. I like reading articles on why certain things were decided on. Or interface solutions and presentation of things. What makes for a more pleasant experience in gaming. A good game with a bad interface is a frustrating thing to behold. And a bad game with a good interface can be pleasant enough.

The community. I've been around for a while. It's a fun place to hang out in. Even though I sometimes am obviously an outsider. I don't like anime and jrpgs and people are probably pretty annoyed by my constant ignorant comments and rpg-bashing. I know I would be. But there's the part where there's a lot of awesome people and the fact that it takes time to find your place in a community. It's easy enough to navigate. With an activity level I can manage. It's not too big, not too small.
I'm sort of grandfathered in in a way.

But deep down the dream of making a "significant" game still looms. I need to pull myself together and put in the work needed. Not just complain loudly about never making games. And whatnot.

Of course I'd also like to give back. I'm active enough but often feel like there's so much more I could do. But I'm also scatterbrained so I come up with something then leave it shortly afterwards. (see podcast interviews, This Week in Blogs) But I guess it's better to have tried and... failed than not to have tried at all.

Even if Yoda would disagree.

To be honest at this point I don't even know what I'm writing about. "What am I in this for?" I'm not going to answer it or maybe I already have. In hide tags. Somewhere. I probably want to make games. I also probably would like to be recognised for making games. But like a lot of wannabes I'm still just a wannabe. Most of you others are better than me in that respect.

I'm in it because the forums have show/hide buttons. That's the only reason.
I'll be honest. I only hang out with you losers because I don't have anywhere else to go.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
story :
curiosity and finally quite a bit of pleasure and fun that i find in participating in this communities'forum

A fond and looong lasting interest for amateur rpg games (the eventual authentic creativity in some of them),ending up learning quite a few things in making.

nothing that much better to do...

My hides don't show..?, so you'll never know!( I don't get what I'm doing wrong???!!!)
ok, they do.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
(test, same thing but this time it worked!well all i had to do is go to page 1 and back!)
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
author=Billwilliams
I'll be honest. I only hang out with you losers because I don't have anywhere else to go.

And this makes you a ...?
author=Fallen-Griever
I make games when I find it fun. If I'm not having fun, what's the point? That's why I make them so freakin' slowly! >.<

I can very much relate to this sentiment.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Because it's been a substantial part of my life since I was 12 and it'd be a shame to abandon it now, irrespective of my dwindling interest.
What are YOU in this for?

The beautiful women.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm in it to mess with people's heads. Mostly by abusing "ultra-hide" tech!

More serious: Because I always thought that being a game designer was cool. Had no clue how much work it took, though!
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
author=LockeZ
I do it for the bitches

Seems like you guys are in the wrong business. Stacraft is the only path to bitches.
author=Adon237
author=Billwilliams
And this makes you a ...?

A bitter cynical bastard. ;)
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
author=Despite
I'm secretly in love with k-hos, skie, nessy, ark, mog, dudesoft and rhyme.

Oh and kyrsty, am I forgetting anybody else?
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
All of the other epic people.
Didn't know how to make a hide button until now :P.

If you are here is because you have good humor to open the second hide knowing that there could be another joke. Fortunatly... the next is the serious one XD

I know rpg maker programs for a lot of time. And I always start projects but I don´t finish them. I never really enjoy so much to do it. Those switches and variables kind of bore me. One day I found this community I like it a lot. I start another project but didn´t finish it. And because I didn´t had a project I left the community, I dind´t found reasons to be here. But since february I have been writing a book, I love stories, and is the reason I start all those projects. So I enter again to the community with the intention for writing more than creating a game. Also its a nice community, I still remember many persos I meet since I first arrive. Also there is this summer gammes competition XD
I first started making games for pure fun and wasn't serious about it at all. As I got into it more, I became impressed with making games. I've always wanted to be a game designer when I was little, but my friend introducing me to RM just lit the path even more. Now, I plan to go to college for computer science and work in the gaming industry, among other places. Everything I've done here was and is pretty much a testing ground, although I'm not resting until I finish my series. And I couldn't be any more serious. It's like a life hobby; It's too much fun, and I'm learning a lot from everyone here.

At first I joined this site to put up my games, but then I became more involved with the community. Taking everyone's criticism, advice, etc. and improving my skills is very valuable to me.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Despite
author=Despite
I'm secretly in love with k-hos, skie, nessy, ark, mog, dudesoft and rhyme.
Oh and kyrsty, am I forgetting anybody else?

Daww. The love.

I am not in this for anything anymore. RPG Maker was fun for a while, and is still fun to tinker in. Now the IRC is just fun to hang out in, and drawing pictures for you lovely people makes the world go around.
It's a pashion!

(RM was even my first community...)
author=LockeZ
I do it for the bitches