DragonRuby Game Toolkit is a professional grade (yet beginner friendly) 2D game engine. It's tiny (~3MB), fast as hell, and cross-platform (including consoles).
Free Unrestricted License
You are eligible for a free license if any of the following items pertain to you:
- Your income is below $2000 per month.
- You are under 18 years of age.
- You are a student of any type: traditional public school, home schooling, college, bootcamp, or online.
- You are a teacher, mentor, or parent who wants to teach a kid how to code.
- You are a Raspberry PI enthusiast who wants to build games for it.
- You work/worked in public service or at a charitable organization: for example public office, army, or any 501(c)(3) organization.
Just contact Amir at firstname.lastname@example.org with a short explanation of your current situation and he'll set you up. No questions asked.
So what's so great about DragonRuby Game Toolkit?
- Dirt simple apis capable of creating complex 2D games.
- Fast as hell. Powered by highly optimized C code written by Ryan C. Gordon, the creator of SDL (a library that powers every commercial game engine in the world).
- Battle tested by Amir Rajan, a critically acclaimed indie game dev.
- Tiny. Like really tiny. The entire engine is a few megabytes.
- Hot loaded, realtime coding, optimized to provide constant feedback to the dev. Productive and an absolute joy to use.
- Turn key builds for Windows, MacOS, and Linux with seamless publishing to Itch.io.
- Cross platform: PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Nintendo Switch, XBOX One, and PS4 (mobile and console compilation requires a business entity, NDA verification, and a Professional GTK License, contact us).
The developers have put together a 5-minute intro to DragonRuby GTK, to give you a whirlwind tour of the big ideas:
This is a tech demo sample app that ships with DragonRuby. The GTK's entire API is displayed here.