VarWidthTextPatch for RM2k3 v1.08
By Cherry (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This patch will allow variable-width text to be used in RM2k3, by setting a width for each character. Additionally, it can allow using a font with up to 14 pixels height per character.
Note that this does NOT work well in all situations! It does not change the positioning of anything in the game, so most built-in menus will look incorrect. It is therefore targeted towards people who have almost everything already custom in their game except for message boxes. Of course, for this patch to have any use, you would also have to use a matching custom font (using one of the font changing utilities around).
The 14-pixel-height feature is optional. If this feature is used, all text is moved up 1 pixel compared to its normal rendering position (!), and the last 14 rows of the system graphic's color are read instead of the last 12, so it starts reading 2 pixels earlier.
USAGE WITH MANUAL PATCHING:
1) Apply the supplied RPG_RT_varwidthtext.ips file to your RPG_RT.exe with a tool like Lunar IPS
2) Open RPG_RT.exe in a hex editor and edit as follows:
Change the bytes at offset 0x250XX, with XX being the corresponding hex ASCII character code, to the desired character width. For example, change the width of character capital A (ASCII code 0x41) to 10 by modifying the byte at offset 0x25041 to 0x0A (= decimal 10).
3) If you want to use the 14-pixel-height feature, additionally apply the RPG_RT_fontheight14.ips file to your RPG_RT.exe
Don't forget to make a backup before patching!
USAGE WITH DYNRPG v0.20+:
1) Copy the supplied RPG_RT_varwidthtext.ips file into the DynPatches folder (create if not existing)
2) Locate the section [QuickPatches] in DynRPG.ini (create if not existing) and add lines as follows:
Add a line like this for every character whose width you want to modify:
...where XX is the hex ASCII character code and Y is the width. For example, to change the width of the character capital A (ASCII code 0x41) to 10, you would add this line:
3) If you want to use the 14-pixel-height feature, additionally copy the RPG_RT_fontheight14.ips file into the DynPatches folder
* The width of the half-space character (\_) can be controlled through ASCII character 1's width.
* When this patch is applied, the first pixel column of the text color boxes in the system graphic will be applied will be applied for all pixel columns of the rendered text (the other 11 columns are ignored).
* The maximum width for a character is 16 pixels.
* EXFONT characters are still 12 pixels wide.