It's RPG Maker's birthday and you're invited to join in the celebration!
Both RMN and RMW are hosting a dual event that is known in both communities - a Release Something event!
The aim is to release a game - either complete or demo - before the end of the event... but there's a twist! You are also encouraged to release a trailer of your own, or someone else's, games!
If you manage to release something by the end of the event on RMN you'll receive a special badge worth 75 MS! If you manage to release something on RMW you'll receive a special badge as well! In addition to these badges, there are prizes for different category winners, as drawn by random.
After this event we'll also be running an event to play and review the games that are released for this one, so look forward to it!
Check out RMW's thread on this event!
- Release either a new demo, completed game or trailer for your own/someone else's game before the end of the event!
- All releases must have had significant progress made during the event timeline - no taking an old demo or game download and re-releasing it!
- The event starts on the 8th of February.
- The event ends on the 11th of March.
- As this is the birthday for RPG Maker, games must be made in an RPG Maker engine. This includes the games that trailers are made for.
Yes, there are prizes! Degica has been kind enough to share the love! How do you get these prizes? Simple!
A lotto will be held for each category, and you may compete in any category as many times as you like (though rules do apply). At the end of the event a name will be randomly picked from the entries for each category and that person will receive the prize. If the winner in question doesn't want the prize, another name will be drawn at random until such time as the prize has been gifted.
The prizes differ for each category.
Full Game :: One DLC from any RPG Maker or Visual Novel Maker engine up to $30 USD.
- Release a full game within the date of the event.
You may take an older game and complete it for this category. You may have more than one release for this category. Each release will give you an additional ticket in the lottery for this category's prize.
Demo :: One DLC from any RPG Maker or Visual Novel Maker engine up to $15 USD.
- Release a demo within the date of the event.
You may take an older game and add to it for this category. You may have more than one release for this category. Each release will give you an additional ticket in the lottery for this category's prize.
Cutscene :: One DLC from any RPG Maker or Visual Novel Maker engine up to $15 USD.
- Release a cutscene that must be part of the project that you worked on during the event.
You may take an older game and use it to create the cutscene in. You may have more than one entry for this category. Entries may be in video format or demo format for this category. To submit a video, add the link to it into a text-based document and upload that to this page. You must have worked on this entry during the event timeline. Each entry will give you an additional ticket in the lottery for this category's prize.
Boss Battle :: One DLC from any RPG Maker or Visual Novel Maker engine up to $15 USD.
- Release a boss battle that must be part of the project that you worked on during the event.
You may take an older game and use it to create the boss battle in. You may have more than one entry for this category. Entries must be in a playable form - meaning please put them in their own mini-demo and not as part of the game they were taken from. You must have worked on this entry during the event timeline. Each entry will give you an additional ticket in the lottery for this category's prize.
Trailer :: One DLC from any RPG Maker or Visual Novel Maker engine up to $15 USD.
- Release a trailer for your own or someone else's game.
You may use someone else's game as inspiration for your trailer. Entries must be over 30 seconds long. You may not reuse a pre-existing trailer - it must be brand new and created for this event. That said, you may make trailers of games that were made before this event, however if you wish for a challenge, you could check with others to see if any previous games are being remade/worked on and make trailers for those... Each entry will give you an additional ticked in the lottery for this category's prize.
Mapping :: One DLC from any RPG Maker or Visual Novel Maker engine up to $10 USD.
- Release 3-5 maps from your game.
The maps must be made during the event. You must explain how the maps fit into your game (no just making random maps for the sake of taking part - they must come from a project that is being worked on for this event). Screenshots must be of a size to be able to see details clearly. Lighting, effects and the like are also fine, as long as map details can be clearly seen. Each entry will give you an additional ticket in the lottery for this category's prize, however there is a limit of one entry per game released for the event.
NOTE: We reserve the right to pull any entries from any category at any time if it is believed that someone is trying to game the system in any way. We want to make this fair for people and to have fun, after all!
Adding Submissions to RMN- A simple guide
● First, sign up to the event by scrolling to the end of the page and adding your information. If you are working in a team, be sure to head to the top and click on My Team after signing up and add names there.
● Add a game page to the site. To do this, hover over Submission on the black bar at the top of the page and click on Submit Game in the menu that drops down. Fill in the required information on the next few pages, taking care to read the directions required.
● You will have to wait 24-72 hours before it gets either accepted or rejected. (The submissions staff will be around more frequently to handle the increased volume.) If rejected, don’t stress - just change what you’re told to in the PM you get back from submissions staff and resubmit. As long as your grammar and spelling in the description is decent, there’s enough of a description, the mapping looks up to scratch and it abides by the submission rules and guidelines, it should be accepted.
● Of special note, please remember to add at least three different screenshots for your game profile. They should ideally show off the best your game has to offer the player without spoiling. Shots that won't be approved or counted in the three necessary: ones of the same map with different text; bland, empty maps with no details; ones containing terrible graphics that clash horribly; Title or Game Over screens.
● When the game page is accepted, you can add pages and downloads. To do this, hover over your name in the top bar and click on the Manage Games link. Choose your game and on the top left you’ll find some options. You can add a download, blogs, pages and more images via this area.
● Either create your media page or add your download.
● Downloads - These should ideally be either zipped files (you can download winzip or winrar for free on their sites) or packaged in the auto-compression of the later engines (XP, VX and Ace have this option. 2k3 and 2k also have this option but sometimes they don’t work.)
● Downloads - Choose the file from your computer and allow it to load. You can also host off-site by choosing to add a download link instead of a download file, but since RMN has free hosting for game files, it’s generally preferred that people host on site. It does take a while for RMN to upload, though, so be prepared for a wait if your file is quite large.
● Downloads - Once your game is uploaded, come back to this page and click on the Manage Submissions/Submit link in the top-right of the page and choose your download from the drop-down menu. Easy done~
● Media - Go to your game page's public profile (this is the page that everyone will be able to see) and click on the Submit Media link under the Header (left side). Add in the media (you can make it pretty, we won’t mind! ^.~ ). Don't mix your media - if you’re making a trailer and promo/concept art, make a page for the trailer and a separate one for the art. This way it will be easier for those who wish to check it out to find them and make it easier if you want to have media spread over different game profiles.
● Media - Make sure that the Game Lead is the one who adds the media page as I believe there's an approval process for others adding Media. This will cut down time waiting for your submission to be added.
● Media - Head to this page and click on the Submit/Manage Submissions link in the top-right corner of the page. Choose the type and pick the media page that you created.
- 02/09/2018 12:00 AM
- 03/11/2018 11:59 PM
You must be logged in to sign up for RPG Maker 28th Birthday.