BEST GAME OPENINGS: RPG VERSION

Pages: first 12 next last
Basically post the best RPG introduction movie or scene. If nothing else we have something good to look at but seeing some of these movies make me want to play these games again. Also I dont want to see someone else's top 50 list, post your own favorite.

The entire first twenty minutes of FFX. It's not even my favorite FF, or even top three, but god damn, dat opening
I really forgot about FFX's intro probably one of my favorites in an RPG.
Tales of Destiny American version's opening (better music than the Japanese one). It feels just like what a perfect Fantasy JRPG should be like.
I remember playing the game for the first time when I was 12 and I would purposedly save and reset every hour or so just to watch the opening again.

Ronove
More like Misao Stealing Prince
Avee, I believe I did the exact same thing. So much better than the Japanese opening for sure. I think I actually did that for FFVIII and Chrono Cross too.

And I also loved this opening to bits too:
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Forever and always.

It's so good, that in the highly superior (in terms of "being a fun game") sequel makes a direct reference to it during the time travel sequence. (The weapons that Canaan ejects fall... almost directly on top of Jr. in war-torn Second Miltia, the URTV that Canaan and chaos are trying to save. XD )

The part around 4:15 when the title pops up as the bay door opens... sigh. <3
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Yes. The fact that it's not prerendered is what makes it even more amazing. That scene really shows off the potential of the PS2 hardware.
Tau
RMN sex symbol

This isn't bad.

Whenever a thread like this arises, S3 must be among the first to be mentioned. So here it is.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I find the first and third games to be a bit more fun, but I still love Xenosaga II. I and II had great intros, and III had a functional intro for fans of the story (but not for new players). Most of my faves are already posted here: FF8, Chrono Cross, FFX, Suikoden III, Xenosaga II, etc. But also:

My top 10 intros, because I'm so indecisive (it's not top 50 so :P):
1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Chrono Cross
3. Xenosaga II
4. Xenosaga I
5. Suikoden III
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Xenogears
8. Final Fantasy XIII
9. Final Fantasy XII
10. Final Fantasy X
@Ronove: God yes. Wild Arms is fucking epic.
I think the second ones intros are my favorite by far.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Oh, god yes. I can name a lot of games that have long intro music videos that play every time you start the game. But I can name exactly two games in which I watched the entire video through to the end every single time I turned on the game. Those games are Wild ARMs and Wild ARMs 2.

Okay, let's get something different up in this bitch: an MMORPG. This is probably about sixty-five times more meaningful if you played Warcraft 3 and/or know anything about Arthas's story. But it's totally understandable even without prior knowledge. Everything you really need to know is in the FMV.

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I find those WOW videos truly amazing and ssometimes really beautiful to watch.

For the longest time, I thought it was Tom Waits who did the "War Never Changes" speech... particularly for F2.

Just... yes.

The intro might have been the best thing about DE:IW, unfortunately.
Apart from Fallout, this is also a gem:

Mostly because it's short. But it's also so very much to the point.

(I guess there's also a "real" opening in the game. Which is also quite excellent but this short bit always stuck in my mind as something special)
I'd quote Kaine's opening narration of Nier, but really I think you need to listen to the voice acting in order to get the full effect. The rest of the opening isn't bad, either! Music helps.

Otherwise, Chrono Cross's opening is legendary, even to this day. Persona 3's is pretty great as well, at least partially because it lays the major themes of the story and visual motifs out on the table in roughly one or two minutes. There's a lot of great Atlus OPs, actually.
Best RPG has best opening:
Pages: first 12 next last