A "COVER" ABILITY?

Pages: 1
Yes....well....i was wondering, is it possible to do a Cover ability, like in the SNES era of Final Fantasy.

You know....

"RANDOM HERO selects Cover."
"Enemy attacks"
"RANDOM HERO takes damage for ally"

Would this be possible to do in 2K3? Because i am clueless when it comes to re-allocating enemy attacks.
I believe it is technically possible; you mostly have to work your way around a switch for the cover activation mode, but I think you will have to make extra pages like if "Monster" targets "Hero" then have a fork suggesting if "Covering" is turned ON then probably have a still sprite of the defender as a battle graphic targeted at the victim the monster wanted to attack (which means you must inflict a dummy condition of "Normal" to the defender except you don't see him in his appropriate spot in battle since he is busy blocking attacks for his allies).

I haven't really tried this, but I imagine this must be somewhat relevant to the actual thing? Then just refer to the damage algorithms (I swear I had a link to it but cannot find it) to do the damage instead to the defender.
I came up with a goofy way of doing it a long time ago. Basically I had an element type that only the tank was vulnerable to. I created duplicate monster abilities, where the second version targeted the entire party but used the elemental affinity I had created. It was awkward, and more of a taunt than a cover ability.
Or just have the cover ability turn on a switch that you use to limit what actions the monsters can take. Create duplicate versions of their skills that have that switch as their activation condition, a high enough priority to prevent regular skills from triggering and are switches themselves. Then just handle the animation and damage to the tank through battle events.

This is the reason a game I'm working on has only three possible party members who can do it, and yeah, I use it as more of a taunt/Heat (Xenosaga terminology) move than a pure Cover.
I see...I'll be sure to try these ideas out!
Hm...so there's no "true" way of setting up a Cover ability as I suspected then? Seems quite daunting to do, though probably much easier if only one character had the ability and one set up duplicates of everything and whatnot, right?
Well...i'm already implimenting Spell leveling,Scan,Steal,enemy skills,FF6-like limit breaks, recruitable monsters, AND a custom party system, so i think i might live without this. (I'll go mad from the above anyway. <_<)

Thank you, anyway, everybody! I really do appreciate the effort!
Pages: 1