EARTHBOUND CONFIRMED FOR VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Pages: first 12 next last
I may have to try this game eventually.
This makes me so happy. :)

Kentona, I really really really recommend Earthbound! It is my all time favorite RPG. And when you're finished with it, wait patiently for Mother 3 to be translated, because I think it'll snag the throne and be the best RPG ever!

Earthbound is awesome if:
- You like the Dragon Quest series, because they're very similar in game play.
- You like humor. Earthbound has the best humor in any game ever.
- You like adventures set in modern day settings.
- You like a weirdness/sillyness. Your first weapon is a cracked bat, and at one point in the game, you fight a giant pile of puke. Not to mention hippies and skater punks.

Also, the game isn't all about jokes. Well it is, but it also has a good story and a great way of telling. It's very interesting that the creator of EB (Itoi) isn't really a game designer. He's a copyright artist, and the Mother series is his only involvement in game creation. I wonder if this has anything to do with the creativity of the game. Perhaps it is so unique because Itoi wasn't really in it for the business it self, but just to make his unique vision come true... He's a bit like us perhaps.
I'm quite looking forward to this. I have never played earthbound before and from all the hype it is getting i will definitely be checking this out.
author=Chartley link=topic=1005.msg13932#msg13932 date=1209776624
- You like adventures set in modern day settings.
I hate modern day settings. And not just in games, but also in novels and short stories, movies, and TV (unless it's a comedy).

If I feel like I have time to play this, I may download it. But so far my list of games to play is growing fast - Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest VIII, Disgaea, The Simpsons Game, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Command & Conquer 3, Warhammer 40,000, etc....
Well, it's not exactly a typical modern day setting. At all.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Thats funny cause the Exact same topic was pretty much made at GW but in more depth instead of OMG!!! haha. Ive could never get into this game for some reason, but if I had a Wii I would at least try it again on the virtual console.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I loved Earthbound, but porting it to Wii and making it all 3D? Eh, I dunno. :-\
Ha, it's not going to be 3D. It'll be the exact same as it was on SNES.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
You know Ken I should report you for that one word post but.. the report would just go to you and you would just laugh it off haha. Ive always wanted to know what made Earthbound so great since I couldn't play it past an hour?
author=Tau link=topic=1005.msg13994#msg13994 date=1209842017
Ive always wanted to know what made Earthbound so great since I couldn't play it past an hour?

Ask Tim Rodgers.

http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=mother2

You know Ken I should report you for that one word post but.. the report would just go to you and you would just laugh it off haha. Ive always wanted to know what made Earthbound so great since I couldn't play it past an hour?
Earthbound is a post modern Dragon Quest clone that subverted expectations about what it meant to be a Dragon Quest clone, and ultimately just had an attitude that hadn't really been seen before or since (except maybe Mother 3, which I can't tell about since my Japanese sucks, but which seems to have the same attitude at any rate).

If it clicks with you, it clicks with you hard. It is very much a cult video game. And that cult's name is Happy Happyism. Blue, blue.
author=yamata no orochi link=topic=1005.msg14005#msg14005 date=1209856706
Ive always wanted to know what made Earthbound so great since I couldn't play it past an hour?

Ask Tim Rodgers.

http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=mother2

yay, he has all the answers. Still, i'm quite looking forward to this.
This is good news. Somehow, I rarely am able to get the full experience from games via emulator, so it'll be neat to play this officially, for once. I missed out back in the SNES days, so! :)
YDS
member of the bull moose party
Maybe I am a stubborn old goat, but Earthbound and "3D" just doesn't belong in the same sentence. They better use the LSD inspired backgrounds for fighting scenes, though.
Where did you hear that it will be in 3D Veridianne? It'll be the exact same as the SNES version. So yes, the trippy backgrounds will be there. The hippies will be there too!
Yeah, guys, Virtual Console games are just games from older systems legally emulated on the Wii. There've only been like two times that the games in question have changed at all from their earlier incarnations--Mario Kart for SNES lost the ability to do ghosts and Pokemon Snap gained the ability to save pictures to the Wii's memory or share them with friends. I think that's it.
I don't own a Wii, but it's great that Earthbound is finally getting some love.

I first played this game on SNES along with my friend who owned the game, and I fell in love with it. It's just so quirky, and you really can't even put your finger on why. I'd like to try Mother and Mother 3 someday as well, since I hear that Mother 3 is especially good.
Pages: first 12 next last