JANUARY 18 SOPA BLACKOUT

Pages: first 1234 next last
I'll get right to the point:

Reddit's blacking itself out for 12 hours.

Tucows.com is blocking access to downloads for the same period.

Even Wikipedia is considering joining the blackout.

Is RMN?
can reddit not come back please
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Yes! rmn against SOPA!
In any case, that's good news.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
So this is like the internet equivalent of a sit-in or a hunger strike?

Nifty.
Occupy the Internet

I'm for this. Anything to get the word out and get people against it. For me it's felt like I haven't been able to do much about it except educate others because Canada is attached to the US right like siamese twins joined between the ass and the forehead right now and the leading party in my riding don't even bother to show up for debates because they always win with a huge assfuck majority. Fuck SOPA. Fuck PIPA (SOPA but introduced by the Senate). Fuck them all.

now I'm mad
What is this internet blackout? I have never heard of one before.

In any case, will it prevent SOPA somehow? Because i hope it does.
The blackout is mostly to raise the consciousness of SOPA and PIPA to the general populace and try to inform them of how horrible those bills are. Some people don't care until it affects their day to day lives and shaking it up before the bills get anywhere is a step in getting those people on board.
author=Arandomgamemaker
What is this internet blackout? I have never heard of one before.

In any case, will it prevent SOPA somehow? Because i hope it does.

It just means the sites will be down for a while. To simulate what could happen if SOPA exists and is enforced(right?). To really get the point across to the people who frequent the sites.

So will this prevent SOPA somehow? Not directly, but it will be wake up call to some.

*also, this should not be under USER FEEDBACK haha
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I am for it as well. It'll give me time to mak gam.
author=Link_2112

It's a suggestion for something to do with the site, ergo, user feedback.

My logic is infallible.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Otokonoko
from Link_2112

My logic is infallible.
I'd have gone with 'my hair is a bird' instead.
I say we go for it.
I'm for it if it only blocks US users. Because that's what SOPA is going to do right? :P
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Well there's always that IRC channel so whatever.
Dammit! I had this idea ages ago. Ah well, I'm all for it. Now if only we could get google, yt, fb and some of the other big sites in on this, that'd really be sending a message!

EDIT:
JANUARY 18th - SOPA BLACKOUT!
Support keeping the internet unblocked! On the 18th of January various sites are going to hold a blackout to protest against the SOPA bill and simulate what the internet will be like if it passes. You too can help protest against the bill by not engaging in any internet activities during that day! So go outside, read a book, spend time with friends or watch TV and by doing so you add your voice to those protesting the destruction of the internet as we know it. One day can make a difference!

Spread the word!
author=Otokonoko
author=Link_2112

My logic is infallible.

D'oh, my bad. It seemed like one of those topics to spread awareness at first glance.
I really don't see this making much of a difference, but oh well. Good intentions, anyway.
But who cares about this little corner of the internet besides ourselves? And how exactly will a 'blackout' raise any 'awareness' regarding SOPA among us? ...I'm pretty sure all of us already have a stance on the issue. And dare I say, I boubt actual awareness about what the bill does is going to be accomplished. =P

Oh well, I guess during that time I can actually work on my game, for a change. xP
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<
author=alterego
But who cares about this little corner of the internet besides ourselves? And how exactly will a 'blackout' raise any 'awareness' regarding SOPA among us? ...I'm pretty sure all of us already have a stance on the issue. And dare I say, I boubt actual awareness about what the bill does is going to be accomplished. =P

Oh well, I guess during that time I can actually work on my game, for a change. xP

I'm quite sure more people come to this site than those that have accounts on these forums.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=GreatRedSpirit
Occupy the Internet

Like I don't do this every day.
On the other hand, if we stay open on the 18th WE'LL BE THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN! Think of the traffic!!
Pages: first 1234 next last