MEGAUPLOAD HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN BY THE FEDS

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
I wouldn't be too scared of what that guy's saying in the video (at least, not the part I watched). Prison overcrowding is already a problem; they're not going to exacerbate it by arresting a bunch of nerds. Is it something that could happen? Probably. Is it likely to? I don't think so.

EDIT: FUH TOP OF PAGE
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
author=SegNin
PEOPLE, PLEASE STOP SPREADING AROUND WORD THAT MEGAUPLOAD IS BACK OR NOT COMPLETELY DOWN.

Because those sites are fakes!

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-back-120120/

MegaUpload Back? Don’t Be Fooled by Scammers

A few hours after MegaUpload was taken down by the feds the first scammy replacements start to surface.

Tens of thousands of people are visiting these “revived” MegaUpload sites, which have nothing to do with MegaUpload.

If you see a site that looks like MegaUpload, it doesn’t mean that the popular cyberlocker is back.

There is NO official MegaUpload replacement online and it’s highly doubtful that there will be one anytime soon.

So don’t send ad impressions to these sites, or open yourself up to a phishing scam.

Sure, there are plenty of alternatives to MegaUpload, but MegaUpload itself is not back.

Okay, then.
Knock off the "top of page" "new page" "page snype skillz". They're almost as bad as image macros.
halibabica
from GreatRedSpirit
Knock off the "top of page" "new page" "page snype skillz". They're almost as bad as image macros.

Sorry. It bugs me when a small comment of mine ends up where everyone is likely to see it. It makes me feel like I need to develop my thought more...

...so what the heck, I will. The only people who really need to worry about being dragged down with MU are the ones who were doing some serious pirating. Yeah, they nailed that one lady who downloaded 24 songs off Kazaa, but they were just making an example out of her. Can you imagine how costly it would be to do the same to 25% of internet users? Dear lord, it'd never be worth it.

So don't get all panicky if you downloaded something IlLeGaL on MU. They wouldn't target anyone too small-time.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Yeah, they nailed that one lady who downloaded 24 songs off Kazaa, but they were just making an example out of her.

What example, exactly? What message?

"We TOTALLY WILL publically send Native American single mothers to jail/bankrupt them for STUPID BULLSHIT THAT COMPLETELY DOESN'T MATTER."

That's a fucking completely horrible message/example to be sending/setting.

If they didn't consider her to be a PR nightmare to bust, I dread to think how little they'd hesitate to bust most of us.

I mean obviously, they won't bust ALL of us. But the thought that they could randomly target anyone to make an example is pretty scary. (I'd say horrifying, but with everything that can happen in life it doesn't quite qualify as horrifying, and I don't want to exaggerate. Besides, getting into a car is still a greater risk of your life being ruined than illegally downloading shit from the interwebs; being outside in a thunderstorm and getting struck by lightning is probably a greater risk too.)
author=GreatRedSpirit

THANK YOU!! My thoughts exactly.
halibabica
from Max McGee
What example, exactly? What message?

An example of what they can do to you (read: not necessarily what they will).

The message they conveyed instead was more like what you said. Very stupid of them, yes.
That MU video is mostly theoretical possibility / practical crackpottery. Don't let it make you lose sleep.
Trying to do mass fines/imprisonments for copyright infringement will only cause a bloody revolution. Mass extraditions will cause bloody revolutions elsewhere.
At worst, you might win the "Make an example" lottery they do every so often, but if you're worried about those odds, buy a lottery ticket so you can pay it off.

The one thing to note is the part about selective enforcement based on what is connected to who. I stand by my claim that SOPA was deliberately written with intent to protect entrenched groups and stifle competition.

author=GreatRedSpirit

author=Link_2112
THANK YOU!! My thoughts exactly.

Out before the rage.
Booya!

Didn't know about the image macros though. Will avoid them in the future.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
So y'all your megauploaders have to change your game download links.
author=benos
So y'all your megauploaders have to change your game download links.

You betcha tite ayss we gots 'ta. 'Cuz 'das how we roll, nomesane?
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
It looks like most of the sites I stream on are down, namely megavid and sockshare
Anyone else think this is just like limewire? Wait until another site like megaupload becomes big enough, only to possibly have history repeat itself. Well...atleast until internet itself goes through some kind of upgrade or something.
Yeah, this process will basically fracture the file sharing sites until there are basically too many for the USA World Police to effectively track.

I'd post a scene from Disney's Fantasia that would effectively portray the end result, but, well, you know...
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=kentona
I'd post a scene from Disney's Fantasia that would effectively portray the end result, but, well, you know..

Is it the part with the dancing Asian mushrooms?
the one with the hippos and crocs
NOACCEPTANCE772
And the ability to summon the "Office Whores" to deal damage to the enemies.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!
ALL MY GAMES WERE UPLOADED ON MEGA UPLOAD!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Wow... interesting! I would say, wether they shut down MU or not, they're only delaying what is, inevitably, going to happen.
Artists can do that through iTunes already, you set the price and iTunes takes a percentage. Not as good as that, but still way better than the labels.