I WANT TO THANK MAXMCGEE

Pages: first prev 123 last
Someone should really lock this now.

Max responded. Mission complete. Let's go home.

See JP? This is why you shouldn't have made a thread. You could have gotten your message across without any potential for bickering.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I just wish that this community wasn't the kind of place where a thread like this was the kind of thread that had to be locked. You know what I mean? Like, this is not...a bad kind of thread. It's not the kind of thread that should be looked at as disruptive or as "asking for trouble". And obviously and hopefully preemptively, I don't mean because it's about me. I mean because in general I don't know what's more benign than expressing appreciation for someone. Is the fabric of our civility really so fragile that we can't handle that?

But I can't really disagree that it should be locked before it gets any worse.
author=Max McGee
I just wish that this community wasn't the kind of place where a thread like this was the kind of thread that had to be locked. You know what I mean? Like, this is not...a bad kind of thread. It's not the kind of thread that should be looked at as disruptive or as "asking for trouble". And obviously and hopefully preemptively, I don't mean because it's about me. I mean because in general I don't know what's more benign than expressing appreciation for someone. Is the fabric of our civility really so fragile that we can't handle that?

But I can't really disagree that it should be locked before it gets any worse.

I agree, but it is what it is.

It's not just this community. This kind of thing happens in real life, too. Mostly in high school.
Max McGee
Mostly in high school.

You'll have to explain that one to me (via PM?).
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Max McGee
I just wish that this community wasn't the kind of place where a thread like this was the kind of thread that had to be locked. You know what I mean? Like, this is not...a bad kind of thread. It's not the kind of thread that should be looked at as disruptive or as "asking for trouble".

You're right, but this is also not a thread that could possibly go anywhere productive. What kind of discussion should have come out of this? A bunch of people also chipping in and praising you? A long, intense, serious discussion about how to appreciate other gamedevs? There's better ways to go about posting a thread that will result in a discussion that is both productive and relevant to game design.

As far as Shinan referencing "shitposts" and "the probability that this thread will go anywhere useful" that's as much on the OP as anybody else. I'm not sure what this thread could have possibly spawned anything other than "welp." and "good for you, you were inspired, yaaaay."

author=Link_2112
It's not just this community. This kind of thing happens in real life, too. Mostly in high school.

yes, let's basically just call the entire community immature and "high school" with smug condescension, that's absolutely the best way to be a good role model in the forums. ugh
The vast majority of people who use RPG Maker have the "high school" mentality going for them.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Allen Hunter
The vast majority of people who use RPG Maker have the "high school" mentality going for them.

At least you made an accurate statement - 'the vast majority of people who use RPG Maker' - instead of directing your comment toward "the community."

Here's the problem with "the community" statements: Any time you make a statement about THE COMMUNITY, you are alleging that every single individual person who comprises RMN other than yourself is guilty of your perceived sins.

I'd like to reiterate that while I agree there's no need for a reasonably harmless thread to take such twists and turns as to need to be locked, the thread was also pretty pointless to begin with and could have been better expressed in a multitude of other ways. I could easily say "it's too bad that this is the kind of community where people feel that it's valid to post an entire thread praising one person for testplaying 15 minutes of your game" but I don't think it has anything to do with 'this community' so much as the standards I would hold to any community at all. It's hard for me to call this thread's posts "flaming" because I see a lot of it as merely teasing and obvious joking. We all have different butt-hurt thresholds.
Oh, Versalia xD You're so opinionated!

author=Versalia
yes, let's basically just call the entire community immature and "high school" with smug condescension, that's absolutely the best way to be a good role model in the forums. ugh

I didn't actually say this. At all. You're exaggerating to the max.

author=Versalia
because I see a lot of it as merely teasing and obvious joking. We all have different butt-hurt thresholds.

I guess your threshold is pretty low :D

I'm glad you realized I was joking, though :) You might have had some kind of meltdown.
Max McGee
Any time you make a statement about THE COMMUNITY, you are alleging that every single individual person who comprises RMN other than yourself is guilty of your perceived sins.

This is false. Specifically, it is similar to the "either you're with us or you're against us" fallacy.

If for instance, you make a statement about the community in which you note that a) there are exceptions and b) you have been guilty of this yourself, then this statement is just not true.
EDIT: Nevermind, I don't want to sound preachy.
@MaxMcGee: I did thank Demonlord5000, I apologized to him if It seemed like I was only giving credit to you. As this particular thread was sent to thank you, though I didn't realize how I worded it, but yes I did say sorry to him. You two, out side of my real life friends were my only testers up to this point.

@Everyone Else: Its a shame that I am asking a this thread to be locked, but I am. It really shouldn't of got to the joke extent it did. Lesson learned and sorry if any embarrassment happened.

EDIT: Also, its was more then just 15 min of testing, but thats besides the point.
DE
*click to edit*
Come on, guys, let's get back on topic! Allow me to give Max some praise for his hard work.

Thank you, Max, for stealing taking my sprites and using them in Eldritch without asking for permission first! And then needlessly resizing them destroying the quality and making me look like a crap spriter. Not that you credited me for them, though!

Yes, I still haven't forgotten, and forgiven, that one.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Link_2112
Someone should lock this.

Someone should stop mini-modding.
Max McGee
author=DE
Come on, guys, let's get back on topic! Allow me to give Max some praise for his hard work.

Thank you, Max, for stealing taking my sprites and using them in Eldritch without asking for permission first! And then needlessly resizing them destroying the quality and making me look like a crap spriter. Not that you credited me for them, though!

Yes, I still haven't forgotten, and forgiven, that one.

Is this like, a thing, that happened? Really? Are you referring to the----nnnnngggggggg.

*deep breath, not worth it, deal with it via PM*

@MaxMcGee: I did thank Demonlord5000, I apologized to him if It seemed like I was only giving credit to you. As this particular thread was sent to thank you, though I didn't realize how I worded it, but yes I did say sorry to him. You two, out side of my real life friends were my only testers up to this point.

JParker1984, didn't mean to sound like I was scolding you or anything like that. I do appreciate this but...yeah...clearly the climate of hate toward me here is so intense that posting anything that goes against that is just a really bad idea and will backfire horribly. Nonetheless, thank you, if nothing else your intent was well taken. It's really not your fault, bro, just....god just fuck certain people around here. You know? I don't mean the whole community but I'm not going to name names either. Because when you name names or call out specific people that's when you get warned, but when you make generalizations about the whole community, you provoke attacks from people who were previously uninvolved.

author=physhal
EDIT: Nevermind, I don't want to sound preachy.

I'm morbidly curious what was here, but I oughtn't be. I agree that sadly this thread has to be locked. Clearly the fact that someone appreciates me and wanted to express it is too controversial for us to discuss civilly without mudslinging and dredging up old grudges. Although I really think that kind of tells you something, sadly.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
This thread was a trainwreck from the start. Locking.

Edit: Any more Max-related drama might result in bans being issued. Just throwing that out there. Craze, do not provoke him. Max, do not respond so such provocation. And to some of the others: I've already warned about dredging up old drama.

This is the fourth time in the last month that this nonsense has occurred.
Pages: first prev 123 last