WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
@Craze: Yea, Michigan has been among the states whipping out the idea of "religious freedom" when coming up with ways to screw over other people, recently. Snyder's a smart guy when it comes to money, but he's still an asshole.

author=Corf
That whole "right to deny service on account of _____" thing is a real pickle. It's not entirely wrong or against the law but it does kind of make you the villain in the eyes of the ones you're denying service to. And it's not even that they're hiding behind their religion or anything, they just seriously believe with all their heart that what they've been told is right and should be upheld at all costs.

The gist of this is the right to follow a religion should be protected, but that doesn't grant people exceptions to laws that everyone else has to follow. Believing in a religion doesn't give you the right to hurt others.

(I keep waiting for someone to invent a religion about, like, street vuvuzuelas or public orgies so people start realizing religion shouldn't be an excuse to break laws.)

I recently started following a couple facebook groups for local cons and I've had to stop myself from diving into every dumb argument, like when someone suggested a panel discussing crossdressing at a local con and the first comment was "keep your fucking gender politics out of my anime". Like, if you don't want to go to a panel, fine, cover your ears and go elsewhere, but don't get mad that other people are talking without you.
slash
street vuvuzuelas

Street Vuvuzela sounds like the best fucking extreme sport of all time.
author=slash
The gist of this is the right to follow a religion being human garbage should be protected ...

ftfy

slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
There's nothing inherently wrong with religion - it's just a bundle of beliefs, y'know? The problem is the tendency for beliefs (religious or not) to get a bunch of unnecessary baggage tied to them and the original purpose and context lost in the process. People don't bother thinking critically about the things they're taught as they grow up, and others suffer for it ;_;
It's not actually about religion (or for the American right specifically, evangelicalism I think). It's just their sword and shield they use to attack others. Jesus vs Jeezus has a nice bite sized version of how religion has been perverted by them.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Seiromem
What does a turtle sound like?

They sort of make wailing and hissing noises.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Eh. If the kids are their wards then I guess in the end they get to decide what's best for them. They can deny parenthood to anyone who's not a devout Catholic or a traditional Muslim or to literally everyone on the planet, if they want. The government probably shouldn't force anyone, including people running adoption agencies, to give up their children, unless the kids are in persistent physical danger.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=LockeZ
Eh. If the kids are their wards then I guess in the end they get to decide what's best for them. They can deny parenthood to anyone who's not a devout Catholic or a traditional Muslim or to literally everyone on the planet, if they want. The government probably shouldn't force anyone, including people running adoption agencies, to give up their children, unless the kids are in persistent physical danger.

Except that numerous state and local governments will also deny adoption based on the religious preferences of the adoptive parents, which is definitely an example of the state giving preference to one religion over others.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Most times when I hear of people being denied services of the not-exactly-life-changing variety, it's flowers or a wedding cake and said establishment crossing their arms and winding up on the news. It's bad business to turn a customer away, but if it's your business, you've got that right.

Churches not willing to host same-sex wedding ceremonies is another one of those things, but on a larger scale. It's all just business under the priestly garments. There should always be a top-tier, wedding planner book-style place to hold the ceremony (as opposed to getting a quicky in Las Vegas by an Elvis Presley impersonator), because this is their special day that they open the gates to the rest of their lives (ideally), but not every place would - and indeed needs to - have their doors open if they don't want to. It's nothing personal, it's just oppression business.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Businesses are entitled to that right. i never understood why people made a big deal about churches not wanting to marry them. There are plenty of establishments, churches included, that would be more than happy to officiate a same-sex marriage. Why would you want to create such a sacred union under such hostility?
As a Christian, I'd much rather get married on the beach or something. I just ain't that attached to the idea of getting married in a church. You know, unless it was like Saint Peters' or something like that in which case - sign me the fuck up because that this is pretty. (Not that I'd be able to, most likely, since my religion isn't Catholic-based. :/)
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I'm in the mood for some mafia.

I need to think up a game type. I've got a Phoenix Wright one written up but its super complicated and needs some revising.
Might be better to use a simpler concept but I've got nothing. Except Full House, for some reason. I never watched that show so I can't use it.

Family Sitcom Mafia. *shrug* Maybe in the hands of someone more skilled than I.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
Where one of those brothers was murdered.
These guys:
Isrieri
Never watched Muppets either. I didn't have a childhood.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Seiromem
These guys:

Nah! Saddler and Waldorf (I think those are their names?) would be in the game solely to heckle the players for being so inefficient at finding the mafia.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
author=Isrieri
Never watched Muppets either. I didn't have a childhood.

The only muppets experience I've ever had was "Muppet Treasure Island"
author=Seiromem
These guys:

Not Waldorf and Statler! ;.;

God, Muppets were my childhood. They're so awesome!
If you've never seen them, you totally should. Not only for the funny jokes but also as a flash back to see famous people from the past like John Denver and Raquel Welsh and a ton of others. It's just a great show all over.
Isrieri
....ahhhhh screw it. I'll just post the PW one and see if there's any takers. If not, I'll try to come up with something else later.