WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The soundtrack from Warcraft 2 was so good that they reused it in both World of Warcraft and Hearthstone, so it's not just you.

Some newer games have some really damn good songs too, of course. But there's definitely a strong tendency in newer games to mostly have music that is part of the background, and feels more like ambiance than a theme song. A lot of the time, ambient background sounds are actually all you get, and there's no music at all for large stretches of the game. This is due partly to the prevalence of voice chat in games, which I understand, but it happens in single-player games too. It's a little hard for me to figure out why massive-budget single-player games like Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Shadow of Mordor and Batman: Arkham Thingy don't have good music playing all the time.

In World of Warcraft, you can change this, but by default, music only plays about 25% of the time and the rest of the time there's silence. It'll start playing a song several minutes after you enter an area, play it once, and then wait about ten minutes quietly before starting it over again. Like, what? What? Since then I've noticed that many other games do the same thing, but without a togglable setting. I don't get it.
Really annoying. Even with voicechat, I always always always listen to music while I'm at it, and you always have the option to turn off the music separately, so that's only a cheap excuse.

But it makes you appreciate a decent soundtrack more. Love listening to Anno1602 or Tzar OST to this day, haha
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Then there are these GTAs and they use the real world's music.
Overall It got boring. For example if you compare Jasper Kyd's old megadrive sounds of Batman and Robin or Red Zone's soundtrack with his current creations, these newcomers show some lack of personality.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats

Pretty interesting when you look at it from this distance. I'm not exactly sure I've ever seen the space between pixels before.
So apparently, freedom of speech is a "centrist" ideology now. Heh; I've heard worse, I just find odd to see that here. But come to think of it. That's really nothing new/shocking when you put it next to: "words/ideas/games are problematic/harmful/get people killed" which are very popular beliefs around here... on a creative community, of all places... for god knows what reason.... But that begs the question. Is the average rmn denizen becoming more, would you say... "radical"? ;) Ah! "Progress".

In other news. Poor LockeZ, he gets so misunderstood. Sometimes I just want to hug him and make games with him forever. <3
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=alterego
So apparently, freedom of speech is a "centrist" ideology now. Heh; I've heard worse, I just find odd to see that here. But come to think of it. That's really nothing new/shocking when you put it next to: "words/ideas/games are problematic/harmful/get people killed" which are very popular beliefs around here... on a creative community, of all places... for god knows what reason.... But that begs the question. Is the average rmn denizen becoming more, would you say... "radical"? ;) Ah! "Progress".

Well, I mean, words, ideas, and games can all dramatically influence people and the way they act. All media and communication can. Heck, I think that's a core principle of creation and creativity - if the stuff we made didn't affect people, why would we bother?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Alterego, I just abandoned that topic and haven't looked at it again since my last post. It makes me almost as mad as the FF7 remake topic.

Slash, to answer your rhetorical question that you didn't expect anyone to answer, I think art has an intrinsic value even if no one ever sees it, simply by adding more beauty to the world.
Honestly, was there an issue with the FF7 topic that I missed completely? Because I've seen a few people complain about it but didn't see anything in it where I read that was bad. Maybe I missed something? I haven't got time nor inclination to re-read the whole damn thing though.

If it's about the outstanding negativity towards the remake, I can totally understand getting tired of it. As far as I'm concerned, we won't know anything until information is released and, based on how the info that was released during FF13's making stacked up to the real game, not even then.
LockeZ
No, forum members weren't being nasty to each-other in the topic, Square Enix developers were just being nasty to us.
author=LockeZ
Some newer games have some really damn good songs too, of course. But there's definitely a strong tendency in newer games to mostly have music that is part of the background, and feels more like ambiance than a theme song. A lot of the time, ambient background sounds are actually all you get, and there's no music at all for large stretches of the game. This is due partly to the prevalence of voice chat in games, which I understand, but it happens in single-player games too. It's a little hard for me to figure out why massive-budget single-player games like Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Shadow of Mordor and Batman: Arkham Thingy don't have good music playing all the time.

I don't think it's so much for voice chat as it is being able to hear the enemies and such. I hear FPS fanatics talk about surround sound setups all the time and how much easier it makes it to not get snuck up on. Given how "stealth" has been a mandatory checkbox for a while now, I suppose it's only natural that there's no music during neutral situations. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure the reasoning is just following the cinema/immersion angle.
I just try to hope for at least one thing done better than the original. At least we can be sure that the translation will be better... I say but then I remember FF13-2 which was complete bullshit and why the fuck were they thinking?! ugh ugh ugh
LockeZ
Ok, to step back from my snarky position for a while and reply in kind with a brief and honest answer: Of course, media can influence people. That's one hell of a vague statement, though, but one I can still agree with. When you change "influence" to "harm", however, you're framing the discussion in a very specific way. And that's where I start having an issue with it. The only logical conclusion of something being deemed "harmful" is to try and get rid of it to some degree or fashion. But because that intrinsic value that all forms of art/speech have, I think our focus as artists should be to "build up" not to "tear down"... But that's just me and my centr-ist opinion. xD
_
I haven't been around much lately, and I'm not about to read another several-pages-long thread, specially if it is as bad as the other one. But I'm just bummed out that a remake of FF6 (or even FF5) didn't came before FF7. I feel cheated. =(
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I totally agree that we should let people create and say what they want. If the leader of the KKK wants to write a manifesto, let him. But, intrinsic value or not, I definitely retain my right to criticize it and recommend others against reading it. Libraries retain the freedom to not keep a copy of it. Amazon retains the freedom not to sell it. That's them using their own right to free speech. I assume it's the same reason RMN chooses not to host obscenely ludicrous games, like the one where you molest people for points, or whatever.

Other things I'm thinking: man, writing dialog is hard :P
LockeZ
A Confederate Flag Turned Me Gay, an erotic novel for Kindle.

This is it guys. We've reached the pinnacle of human achievement. We can stop now.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Liberty
I just try to hope for at least one thing done better than the original. At least we can be sure that the translation will be better... I say but then I remember FF13-2 which was complete bullshit and why the fuck were they thinking?! ugh ugh ugh

When I first heard there was a remake bandwagon, I jumped on it for maybe...15 or 20 minutes, and then as I thought about it, I realized, you know what? 90 percent of all remakes suck 10 pound sweaty donkey balls. I don't want a remake. I want a remaster with updated graphics. Steam sells an HD remaster of FFVII. No updated graphics, but it looks really sharp and it's a much better translation. When I saw that my favorite mistranslation, "This guy are sick," had been fixed, I kind of missed it. I'm really very pleased with what I got off of Steam. It was well worth it. I wouldn't have bought it except that my PS2 has a problem in its disc tray, I didn't want to mess up my discs, and really missed playing FFVII. Also, I know that if I ever want to, I can add the Tifa bootleg patch to get updated character sprites, though I probably won't.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=LockeZ

This is it guys. We've reached the pinnacle of human achievement. We can stop now.

*lights candle, puts on soft music* I know how I'm spending my evening

(I'm at work so I'm not clicking that link but I'm gonna assume it's sexy as heck)
author=LockeZ

LockeZ, LockeZ, LockeZ... you think that's weird?
http://www.amazon.com/Gay-For-Living-Billionaire-Plane-ebook/dp/B00SX6HS5I
This guy has written a LOT of crazy stuff. Such titles include:
"Gaygent Brontosaurus"
"Glazed by the gay living donuts"
"My ass is haunted by the gay unicorn colonel"
"Reamed by my reaction to the title of this book"
"Pounded by the gay colour changing dress"
"Pounded in the butt by my own butt."

And his best seller:
"Pounded in the butt by my book 'Pounded in the butt by my own butt'"

And of course, the classic:

"Angry man pounded by the fear of his latent gayness over a dinosaur transitioning into a unicorn."

No. I'm not kidding. Seriously.