WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

equivocating specific problems away as the fault of vaguely-defined 'idiots' has never been very useful, imo

things have causes and contexts, and willfully ignoring them doesn't do anything but make you look like an incredibly fair-weather sort of critic
That was not really on my mind, but I was thinking about the Black Materia scene as a specific one that would somehow trigger their inner social justice PTSD. Also about those scenes...the whole Don, and Honeybee Inn thing was meant for laughs.

Let me be clear about something. I didn't insult anyone on this board, and never will, but if you want to call me a "Nobody" then I suggest you go on your merry way, and ignore my posts if it bothers you. You don't like what I said, fine, but to me this shit really does happen, and it already affected a few games recently. Also the Japanese studios are poor liars because their reasoning is usually the same on "why and why" this was going to be changed when reality they are being influenced by today's trends. Even Nomura admitted he was going to change something because of today's society.
or you could cool your heels with the plausibly-deniable insults, tone down the shitty trigger jokes, and stop singing Pagliacci about the off-chance that somewhere, someone might one day put together a feminist critique of a video game.

like, at least wait until somebody says something social justice related to start fuming about ~those dratted sjws~, yeah?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=mawk
god I just realized that going by current trends, there's probably a not-insignificant amount of people who will call basically any non-gameplay changes to the remake 'censorship' regardless of S-E's reasoning or the context behind it

that's a really unpleasant thought

They are censoring the cube-hands because they think modern audiences can't handle them, oh no!

Marketing research, producer policies, and the staff's own weird obsessions will certainly result in tens of thousands of poorly thought out changes in the FF7 remake. And I guess on some level, any amount of "Hey consumers, we have decided what should be in your art, and it's something different than what the original author put in there" technically qualifies as censorship.

But, you know, that's the same as the definition of a remake. So is this type of "censorship" just a derogatory term for "remake?" As long as there's no mass agenda to microwave every copy of the original CD version, I don't think "censorship" is a useful term for anyone to throw around.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
There's been so much time in between now that everyone and their mother has had something to say about FF7 and what could be changed, what could be better or smoother and now people will be clamoring to finally get all those fan ideas in a proper remake.

But hey, for me personally I was never big on FF7. FF9 was my thing and still my favorite "modern" Final Fantasy, with FF5 being first for the older titles.
it's increasingly popular for people to whip up a controversy around internal decisions arrived at independently by developers by pretending that a shadow organization of feminists must have caused it somehow. in general, 'censorship' is becoming a blanket term for any change to a video game in any point of its development that the user dislikes for any reason.

the fact that this is now extending to games that haven't even been made yet is, frankly, dazzling. I am starry-eyed and drifting through a wondrous cosmos.
author=mawk
or you could cool your heels with the plausibly-deniable insults, tone down the shitty trigger jokes, and stop singing Pagliacci about the off-chance that somewhere, someone might one day put together a feminist critique of a video game.

like, at least wait until somebody says something social justice related to start fuming about ~those dratted sjws~, yeah?

Oh I see now. Look, I got nothing against feminists and I appreciate for what they do, but I don't like the extremists they have been attracting since they have more influence than their more level-headed counterparts. The point was there will be people who take something, and make it into something that it isn't, and raise all hell about it, and so far it has worked.

Take that new Street Fighter game. I didn't care what they did as I thought it was appropriate, but FF7 was never really that extreme.
the point is that you're accepting easy answers that let you place a problem on the shoulders of a conveniently vague and distant boogeyman, even in the presence of conflicting evidence. you're acting now as if the FF7 remake has already been censored in some way by feminist critics.

stop and take a breath, friend. the game isn't even out yet, and people making independent decisions due to shifting demographics and opinions within their audience is not the sign of a conspiracy.
You, and others have said this time and again. I want to believe that, but how can I believe that when the games ended up getting changed anyway these days? I don't believe what XXXX-Studio is saying. I think they are lying because they don't want to upset the applecart. I already heard stories they do purposely keep their real reasons silent because they don't want their bottomline to get affected.

Tell you what, I will apologize to you, and just drop the whole thing. I don't want this conversation to get off the wall.
here's the thing: games get changed. multiple times, throughout the development process, changes are made to a plan. this is true, and has been true for the entire history of video games. before that, it was true for the entire history of filmmaking, and then novels before that.

it's also true that sometimes that upsets people. and when people are upset, it's the easiest thing in the world to tell them that the cause of what's upsetting them is a group of people that they've been conditioned to believe literally anything about. they do it to target harassment, to build their own popularity, and even to try and sell products.

if you personally feel threatened that game companies are making informed decisions and removing gross shit from their games, then I don't know what to tell you. I can only say that the speed with which you've arrived at the conclusion that it's the result of a conspiracy, without a shred of evidence or even a completed game to point at and compare changes with, is absolutely stunning to me.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Because "the games getting changed anyway these days" is NOT the sign of a conspiracy, but rather the dev team deciding to cater to a wider and changed audience, which will of course have people in it that might get upset if the game wasn't changed. That isn't censorship or a conspiracy, that is a business making a decision to improve sales.
I didn't say I didn't agree with all their decisions. Some of what they made was 100% correct, but there sometimes stuff that just make me want to slap my head that literally makes no sense. Don't you remember what Nintendo did back in the 90s? I don't want to see a return of that.

I'm also finding it odd people are thinking Don Corneo's scenes are "gross"? They really didn't show anything explicit, but make the Don look like a fool. He was a walking parody. If that is what this is about. The Honeybee Inn was pretty mild too. The original Honeybee Inn however was not so around the bush about it.

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=SnowOwl
What's gross about it? Been a while since I played it and I don't really remember that part too well.

From start to finish, it's extremely rapey (for both genders, just in case people want to get up their asses about "double standards"). If there was a fade to black while Cloud was in the room full of men who are forcing themselves on him, the original game probably would've never seen a western release.

author=Kaliesto
That was not really on my mind, but I was thinking about the Black Materia scene as a specific one that would somehow trigger their inner social justice PTSD.

A cat-robot gets crushed inside a temple to get turned into a magical artifact. I can't see the "social justice" in that.

author=Kaliesto
Let me be clear about something. I didn't insult anyone on this board, and never will, but if you want to call me a "Nobody" then I suggest you go on your merry way, and ignore my posts if it bothers you.

Special snowflakes all over the ground.

author=mawk
it's increasingly popular for people to whip up a controversy around internal decisions arrived at independently by developers by pretending that a shadow organization of feminists must have caused it somehow. in general, 'censorship' is becoming a blanket term for any change to a video game in any point of its development that the user dislikes for any reason.

the fact that this is now extending to games that haven't even been made yet is, frankly, dazzling. I am starry-eyed and drifting through a wondrous cosmos.

They couldn't get a certain minigame included in time for release? CENSORSHIP!!!

*DLC released next day*

author=Kaliesto
The point was there will be people who take something, and make it into something that it isn't, and raise all hell about it, and so far it has worked.

Sounds like 'the thing that shall not be named so I'll just call it consumer fence'.

author=Kaliesto
Don't you remember what Nintendo did back in the 90s? I don't want to see a return of that.

Educate us. List your sources.
tell me how, exactly, developers removing twenty-odd frames of panty shots from a game out of their own free will is going to bring forth the return of tight publisher-imposed restrictions on blood and religious imagery
author=Kaliesto
Don't you remember what Nintendo did back in the 90s?

...Make good games?

EDIT: Also dang am I ever sick of "it's a parody!" being used as a catch-all excuse. Parodies can be and often are tasteless.
author=mawk
tell me how, exactly, developers removing twenty-odd frames of panty shots from a game out of their own free will is going to bring forth the return of tight publisher-imposed restrictions on blood and religious imagery

I didn't go there. You did. I'm not even thinking about anything sexual because often they tend to be tasteless in the japanese rpgs and should be done away with. All I'm saying you all are turning the whole Don thing into something that it never was.

"Nothing bad was shown"
author=Corfaisus
author=SnowOwl
What's gross about it? Been a while since I played it and I don't really remember that part too well.
From start to finish, it's extremely rapey (for both genders, just in case people want to get up their asses about "double standards"). If there was a fade to black while Cloud was in the room full of men who are forcing themselves on him, the original game probably would've never seen a western release.

Wait hold on now. I don't think they implied that is what happen to Cloud.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
The thing is, even the decisions you don't agree with are made in order to sell more copies of the games.

If you ever find yourself coming to the conclusion that a company is doing something for a reason other than making more money, you should stop and think if you haven't gone wrong somewhere in your thought train. 9 times out of 10 you'll find that you have indeed gone wrong.

Also, no, Cloud did not get raped, but he was still in a room with several men chasing him around like zombies trying to get in his pants against his will.
itt: someone embodying the short-sighted moral panic they believe is ruining games, albeit from the opposite direction