WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=Corfaisus
I got slapped for having an opinion. I feel bad.

My mom wants for me to join the military. I don't want to get sexually assaulted during hazing so I told her no.

No one should be forced into the military when you're in peace time. Stand your ground.

Although I would probably go into my countrys military if my mom would tell me to, you shouldn't be forced by relatives into the military. It's your life, your choices.

EDIT: Although, if you lack discipline, the military is the best place to learn discipline.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=pianotm
Oh, Mirak. I'm so sorry to hear that. May they experience twice the medical problems I've had.

What Piano said. There's no excuse for racism anymore. This is supposed to be a new world. People clinging to prejudice is indicative of the worst kind of people.
On the bright side, while not financially helpful, you don't have to deal with racista?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Thank you for your kind words everyone.

My friend shouldn't have stood up for me. I do appreciate it and i let him know how thankful i was, but the smarter thing would have been to accept the job. I would have worked with him in any case, only they wouldn't know. But yeah, it was the heat of the moment.
@Corfaisus Hold your ground, that's a completely legitimate way to feel (obviously). >.< Find strength in the fact that it's still your life and you don't have to do it.

@Mirak Ugh, it's terrible that you live in a world where you're willing to work for people who hate you for no reason. D: (And, I understand your position, of course, I just find it terrible that you need to be able to reconcile "getting money" and "probably shouldn't work for/with people who hate" me.)
@Corfaisus
Not that I've done the military in the US, but I imagine the hazing is more psychological than physical nowadays. At least, I don't think there's much sexual stuff going on.
Dudesoft
author=SnowOwl
@Corfaisus
Not that I've done the military in the US, but I imagine the hazing is more psychological than physical nowadays. At least, I don't think there's much sexual stuff going on.
Fullmetal Jacket doesn't happen, I bet.

I cannot believe Nintendo is bringing Mario Maker to 3DS, and removed the very reason MM is awesome.
No uploading levels from 3DS. Only local & streetpass sharing. Great for Tokyo and highschool kids. Screw the rest.
Also no searching for User ID, playable levels are random.
-bows low-
"Thank for your patronage and continued support of Nintendo." -straight faced Japanese buisnessman
author=Dudesoft
author=SnowOwl
@Corfaisus
Fullmetal Jacket doesn't happen, I bet.

Was there sexual assault in FMJ? Been a while since I saw it so I can't really remember.
Anyway, while I haven't done the military in the US, I do know the general gist of what the thought behind the hazing is, since I've read some group psychology and talked to a drill sergeant (I think that's what they are called in the US?).
It's basically done to make a group to quickly form bonds. The basic idea is that they make you work really hard, just on the edge of what most people find bearable, but never mentally scarring stuff (unless you consider stuff like cleaning toilets mentally scarring, and in that case you're just a spoiled babby), and generally do shit that makes the group hate the drill sergeant. They certainly throw out some abuse, they might find a personality flaw and hook onto that, but it's not supposed to be mentally scarring.

This gives the group something to talk and bond over no matter what background they have since they all now have something in common. They hate that guy, and they hate what he makes them do.
Hazing aside, your mother's got some weird glitch in her brain if she wants her son to be put in a position where he might be killed or have to deal with the lifelong psychological effects of being in a war zone. I don't think you need to worry about being sexually assaulted, though.
English can be weird. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
GreatRedSpirit
This is my favorite sentence to show how fucked up English can be

wikipedia article
The noun "fuckup", meaning someone who is clumsy and incompetent, and destroys everything they touch. See American.
Mirak
That's 'cause it's not wikipedia, it's uncyclopedia.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
it's important to remember that fuckup =/= fuck up
fuck up means i'm not amused
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=GreatRedSpirit
This is my favorite sentence to show how fucked up English can be

I feel bad for that fucking fucker's fuck. Dix out for fuck
Dudesoft
Just watched Les Miserables for the first time. I think the whole is greater than the parts.
The stand out songs were mired in horrible topics. It was quite a depressing story.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Dudesoft
Just watched Les Miserables for the first time. I think the whole is greater than the parts.
The stand out songs were mired in horrible topics. It was quite a depressing story.

I have never seen the musical...which is silly considering how much I like musicals. That said, I have read the book, and have seen just about every film version except the musical, and the story is EXTREMELY depressing. You even feel bad for Javert at the end when his entire world just falls apart around him, even after everything he put Valjean and Cosette through.

I mean, it's just a miserable, miserable tale.
Dudesoft
author=pianotm
Dudesoft
I have never seen the musical...which is silly considering how much I like musicals. That said, I have read the book, and have seen just about every film version except the musical, and the story is EXTREMELY depressing. You even feel bad for Javert at the end when his entire world just falls apart around him, even after everything he put Valjean and Cosette through.

I mean, it's just a miserable, miserable tale.

Welp, can't say I wasn't warned. It's in the title.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Finally something funny on the omnivore vs herbivore front.

Hidden for dead animal
To shower or to rot in the chair for another 20 minutes after which I'll ask the same question...(and stalk twitter)
Mirak
Luckily it's sunday and usually people don't have to rush their decision making then.