WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

author=kentona
the trick is to have started at the very beginning with getting the Dragon Warrior pack with a new subscription to Nintendo Power, like I did.

But how do you deal with your precious series randomly changing titles past the 4th one! Assuming you weren't bothered by the skip to Dragon Warrior 7 in the ps1 era. I guess my point is, unless you own the japanese originals, it's impossible to have to have a consistent collection of games up to 11. At least with FF you can own all the gba-makes then go ps1 era to ps2 etc. Only weird thing being FF3 on the DS.
Oh I skipped from 4 to 9
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
It bugged the crap out of me that Final Fantasy Chronicles had Chrono Trigger on it instead of 3 when Final Fantasy Anthology had 5 and 6. Granted, it was a loading time nightmare to play the second-best in the series (I'm talking about 5) but I distinctly wanted a Final Fantasy birthday and I decided that I'd finish my entire collection that year, even if it meant being a kid calling up a Gamestop to see if they had both games there.

Having a legit Final Fantasy 5 was awesome, however. I'm pretty sure I got that before the GBA remake came out (and I've got a funny story about that*) and it was the only reason I really wanted Anthology. I've never liked 6.

*At first I was like "man, Kirby's Adventure was awesome, but they only made it for the NES! Wouldn't it be super cool if they remade it?" Then BAM, it's on the Gameboy. Shortly afterward (probably while playing Anthology) I was like "I love Final Fantasy 5, bla bla bla," then wouldn't you know it, it gets the same treatment. For a while I thought the Nintendo gods were watching over me or something.

P.S: OH MY GOD, I just got blown to pieces by a nostalgia grenade! The early 2000s when my brother introduced me to emulators and it was specifically the SNES emulator with a Dragonball Z fighting game and Final Fantasy 5. He also got Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars (he also went to a used video game store to buy a legit copy of SMW even though he didn't have a SNES just so he could "legally" download the ROM). Fucking DOUG! Do do-do do dodo do do-do do-DO ♪♫

It's like I'm a kid again... I still remember sitting in my brothers room (because he had the computer at the time) and watching the screen turn from blue to default with the opening cutscene of Final Fantasy 5. This is magic... I guhh.... I wanna say Final Fantasy 5 was the first Final Fantasy that I truly got into, but I was probably introduced to 9 first through my school friend's brother and his Playstation. He was like "you should start a file" and I was like "eh, I'd rather not. I'll just watch you play." Flash forward to 2018 and I've sunk 88 hours into the Steam version with 79 achievements (I don't really count the 80th as it was the Excalibur II which I used the speed and level boosts to reach). I can still so clearly see the fuzzy character models on that old TV, though; you know, before they smoothed them over for the Steam release.

And man, that night that I was farting around on Steam and looked up Final Fantasy for whatever reason and saw that a store page for 9 had appeared. I nearly lost my shit! I was like "wh-wh-wh-wh-wh-wh-WHAAAAT?!" Then came the two months or so of waiting for the damn thing to hit shelves and all the false release dates. I swear I checked that shit every day along with everyone else complaining that it wasn't out yet and that one thread I may have started myself discussing how Tetra Master is better than Triple Triad. MAN, what a life.

EDIT: I talked about Kirby's Adventure in there somewhere, but then I just had a nostalgia-fueled nerdgasm over Final Fantasy 5 and 9. Sorry about that, fellas; I just love me some vidja gams.
You're right about Final Fantasy Chronicles being fucking weird because there was also Final Fantasy Origins which had 1 and 2 on it (albeit remade a bit to look much nicer), so not having 3 with 4 makes absolutely NO sense. That said, that's how I met Chrono Trigger so I'm not sad about it - even with the load times. It was just... you know, weird.

With DQ I started with 6, went back to 4, jumped to 5, went to 1, never played 2 or 3 (though I did read an LP of them both) and then went on to 7, 8 and 9. I only learned that 1, 2, 3, and 4, 5, 6 were trilogies when I read the LPs. XD

I played 8 first, then 7 and lastly 9. Tried playing 10 but gave that up for a bad job. Getting 11 when I have some cash.

My FF trip started with 7, jumped to 6, then CT, then 5 and then 8. After that 4, 1 and 2, then 4 again, finally got 9, then 10, 10-2, skipped 11 completely, got 12 then played 3 finally. Got 13, played 14, got 13-2 and decried it as the worst game ever, then 13-3 which wasn't that bad in comparison. Finally got 15 but can't play it without it bluescreening my computer every half hour of play. What I did get to play of it was fun though and I look forward to playing more when I finally save up for a better machine.

...what is order?
Thinking back on it my FF experience was weird too.

-started with FF7 and FF8 on the PC,
-bought the strategy guide for FF9 (didn't own a playstation, half expected it to be on PC at some point I think) really don't know why I got it.
-Eventually found out about emulation in 2002ish, played FF4-6 in order,
-Played me some 10 on a friend's PS2
-played FF3 on a flash cart (like the dirty DS pirate I was).
-Finally got a PS2 which allowed me to play FF9 (which was still buyable new) found out the strategy guide was useless and was infamously so. I was traveling at the time too so I'd randomly go to internet cafes to look up on gamefaqs for stuff instead.
-Never played 11
-Played the demo of 12 on the DQ8 bonus thing
-Decided to play the dawn of souls PSP remake/port thing and did actually beat them

Haven't really bothered with 13 and onward.

strangest thing about FF3, we probably would have gotten a gba/ps1 port if the wonderswan one didn't get canceled https://www.unseen64.net/2012/10/11/final-fantasy-3-wonderswan-color-cancelled/ as FF1 and FF2 were continuously ported from there really.
DQ:
I first played DQ1, then DQ2, then DQ3, then DQ4, then waited many many years (I never owned a PS1 or PS2) and then played DQ9, then bought DQ8 and DQ5 on Android. I have yet to play them. I have also bought DQ4 and DQ6 on DS. At one point, I owned 2 copies of DQ4 on NES, but sold one to Hexatona. Hexatona bought me a copy of DQ8 on PS2. I replayed DQ1 and 2 on emulator this year (I had never finished 2 before, and had to use a guide because my fucking god that game). I haven't even seen or read about DQ7. I love DQ3, 4 and 9. I got DQ1 as part of the Nintendo Power promotion back in the late 80s or early 90s - whenever it was (you got a free copy of the game and a bunch of maps and guides and whatnot if you subscribed to Nintendo Power). It was my gateway RPG. I rented DQ2 a few times, and DQ3 many times, but when the SNES came out and my dad took us to the rental store to peruse used NES games for sale for $15 each, I had a choice between DQ3 and 4. I opted for DQ4 because I hadn't played it yet. (My sister got SMB3). I recently replayed DQ9 and wrapped the main storyline last week.

FF:
I rented FF1 once but didn't understand how magic worked in it (still don't!). I played FF4 (when it was called 2) on the SNES by renting it a bunch. I never finished the game until like 2011 when I finished the FFIV DS remake. It took me 17 years to beat it. I managed not to spoil the game's story in all that time. I played FF6 by renting it, ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, and it inspired me to want to make RPGs for LIFE. (I eventually made Hero's Realm). When the rental store was selling SNES games (when the PS and N64 were new), I bought their copy of FF6 for $45. I still have it. It still works (and still has my saved games). I borrowed my friends PS1 one weekend and started playing FF7. It was good. Never finished it. I have managed not to spoil the story for myself because I intend to finish it one day (I heard that Aeris dies, though :( ). I eventually played FF5 on a translated ROM. It was okay. I had to cheese the final boss because apparently I was severely underleveled. I played FF3DS, but didnt care for it much. I have never played FF2, FF8, FF9, FF10, FF10-2, FF11 or FF15. I played like 10 mins of FF12 and FF13 and FFT and FFTA, and about 2 hours of FF14. I own FF3DS, FF4DS, FF6 (SNES), FF7 (Steam), FF12 (PS2), FF13 (Steam)

I also rented and finished and loved Chrono Trigger. I own it on DS.
Oh, I also still have my friend's PC copy of FF7 in a case for the BladeRunner game. I borrowed it from him in 2000. Hi Ryan! If you're reading this, you can swing by my house and pick it up.

E:

https://twitter.com/kentonagbone/status/979741152462045184
I had that! Trying to play FF7 on my old Windows 95 computer, 120 Mhz with turbo I think. It didn't run at full speed and the squat minigame was impossible for lil'me (I'll blame how slow the game was) but I made it all the way to the northern crater on disk 2... until the game froze in the FMV where Cloud gives Sephiroth the black materia. I could never get past that point until later when I got a PS1 and FF7 and actually played the game at full speed. Also it sounded way better on the PS1. I remember installing the Yamaha soundfont that game with the game so the PC midis would sound better/more accurate, but it screwed up all the other midis and how they sound.
DQ7 is one of the nicest ones in the series, imo. Definitely worth getting.

Of the FF's you haven't played yet, kentona, you might like 9 the most. It's more fantasy-esque than the others and has a lot of cool places, sidequests and just plain silliness. The others are a bit too... modernistic fantasy I guess you could call it? Like with alien races/technology and attitudes that are more... modern stylised? It's hard to describe. They're less about the adventure and more internally conflictive? Ugh, hard to describe.
author=kentona
Oh, I also still have my friend's PC copy of FF7 in a case for the BladeRunner game. I borrowed it from him in 2000. Hi Ryan! If you're reading this, you can swing by my house and pick it up.

E:

https://twitter.com/kentonagbone/status/979741152462045184

Blade Runner was better though.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
FF7 has not aged well at all. It's hard to tell where you can and can't walk half the time. Watching Nick and Josh play it on Continued! and they had the same exact problem I did with the very beginning of the game! Took me like 15 minutes just to navigate that one room of Sector 6. Also, Cloud running up hanging wires just looks wonk as shit.

It's sort of like how Arin described Skyward Sword's motion controls, but replace that with Final Fantasy and pre-rendered graphics.
author=kentona
I replayed DQ1 and 2 on emulator this year (I had never finished 2 before, and had to use a guide because my fucking god that game).

Yeah fuck that shit. I mainly started with the GBC remakes (though truth be told I actually discovered DQ through the Monsters series because I was a huge pokemon fan. DQM is better than pokemon btw better breeding system better everything). DQ2 is just insane once you get the boat and realize you can just DIE if one enemy gets a single group sleep spell on you. I'm trying to think of a plan to replay that game if I ever feel like it, I have beaten DQ1 though just not 2 or 3. 8 is the only one I've had extensive experience with.

@GRS: I eventually rebought FF8 and FF7 on the PS1 but it completely fucked me up when listening to the music. Even though I hadn't played the games for like 10 years I felt something was "off" about it. Had no idea about the midi replacement thing until I actually investigated. I actually bought FF8 on PC twice just because one of the discs were scratched. I remember not being able to do the train coupling mission and asking my babysitter to do it every time because I think I would just replay FF8 over and over until I got to the broken disc.
Yah you better believe I was save-state-scumming the shit out of DQ2. I'm too old for that shit.
author=GreatRedSpirit
I had that! Trying to play FF7 on my old Windows 95 computer, 120 Mhz with turbo I think. It didn't run at full speed and the squat minigame was impossible for lil'me (I'll blame how slow the game was) but I made it all the way to the northern crater on disk 2... until the game froze in the FMV where Cloud gives Sephiroth the black materia. I could never get past that point until later when I got a PS1 and FF7 and actually played the game at full speed. Also it sounded way better on the PS1. I remember installing the Yamaha soundfont that game with the game so the PC midis would sound better/more accurate, but it screwed up all the other midis and how they sound.
I REMEMBER THAT.

Also, my friend had to come over to my place to play it because his PC was a 133mhz Cyrix and FF7 wouldn't play on Cyrix processors. The funny thing was my PC was a Pentium 75, and the game played SO SLOW. The 10 minute countdown escape at the very beginning was hilarious - it took us 20 mins to actually leave the reactor, but there was still over 5 mins left on the timer.

(eventually we discovered Diablo and C&C and Starcraft and Duke Nukem 3D and Quake and played the shit out of them instead)
E:
oh, and Descent! that game was the best FPS to play. Still is! 6 degrees of movement. I gotta get me a copy of Overload.
DW2 is rude. The entire endgame (Road to Rohne to Hargon's Castle) is the RPG equivalent to act 6 of Ninja Gaiden except any death takes you back to 6-1 like if you died to a final boss. Instant death, high power attacks, final boss cna fully heal itself, and big slogs of dungeons with few healing means (2nd character gets a revive spell and you can only carry one Leaf of Yggdrasil at a time, the only other revive item). I think the strongest non-cursed sword was in the Road to Rhone dungeon and you have to fall in a random hole to find it I think. Thank god the dude in the Rhone monument revives you, he only restored HP in the JP version (also password saves, oh god)

The Cutting Room Floor comments that the original JP release got postponed a bit because it was initially even harder but doesn't cite a source for that.

I heard the later releases fixed more things. The 2nd character has more equipment choices so they can contribute more in combat, late game enemies aren't as awful, stuff like that. Or save state. Or gitgud and beat the game anyways in sub 2 hours 30 minutes. (NESCardinality is fun and good to watch)

Also I remember Descent from the demo disk days. Too many degrees of movement gave me a headache, I settled for replaying the first stage of Crusader No Remorse instead.

Feels fucking good to listen to a real leader speak every once in a while
Corfaisus
I like that he's not playing sides. Speaking of the freedom to worship God in our ways is kind of a hot button issue today it seems because God = bad and world = good. Spend five minutes with someone who's truly spiritually driven and they'll tell you that world = bad - no matter who or what they worship - because world = me, not you. Time spent in meditation seeking answers is time not spent pursuing worldly passions.

And yes, both sides are to blame for the problems we're facing now. I'm proud of him for being intellectually honest and saying that it was the Democrats of the day that were gung ho about slavery and discrimination laws pre-civil rights movement. Republicans will take that and run with it, but only until the modern day when they end up responsible for the bruises.

"Trump is a symptom, not the cause." Well put, Mr. President. If we didn't have a problem in society, Trump wouldn't have ever made it into office. He capitalized on the problem that was already there and had been building for oh so many years beforehand. The progressives were right with that one by not letting the "microaggressions" go unnoticed by this idealistic "we're past that" era that the conservatives tried to push. Sure, maybe the progressives actually ended up inspiring their own set of problems, but that was because they still functioned under the "if you're not with us, you're a fascist/racist/homophobe against us" method of debating, which did absolutely no one any good and what likely led to Obama being seen as the greatest divider of Americans in modern history and a tool by the Democrats to undermine our Christian values of family and accountability.

If we were being honest and actually sought reconciliation and understanding, we'd be in a much better place by now. All sides with even an ounce of social weight want to maintain this "status quo" because it gives them "power". Addressing the problem makes everyone uneasy, it seems. Some churches even (the kings of "get the fuck out", or at least that's what secular society claims) buckle when faced with tough decisions inside the body. I'm fully convinced that - if nothing is done soon - my own church (which I've been all but banished from) will enter a "season of decay" because they're entertaining the world instead of seeking correction in those who are taking advantage of its well-meaning nature.

Bullshit people into trusting you, twist in just the right way and suddenly you've got all the power. I've seen it happen, and that's how society got itself in this horrible mess. Don't believe me? "Fake news"... that's all they needed to say. It's character assassination (like the fascist/racist/homophobe cards) that immediately discredits the other person and that I've personally fallen victim to by some jack-off who wants everything for themselves.

Only by denying the world and holding ourselves accountable will we ever find peace and equality. If we can all just admit that - when left to our own designs - we'll always choose poorly, nobody will take the "holier-than-thou" route (religious and secularism) and wave power over others. At the end of the day, we all suck, okay?
Corfaisus

"Can you believe I get paid to do this?"

I don't care what the salary is, I couldn't sit in a chair and ask some bozo the same question over and over again and have him weasel out of it by saying "I'm not sure" when I (off the top) told him to be sure about his answer. I guess the best way to get a job here is to wait out the clock instead of giving a direct answer. If you say "yes", you'll no longer be able to serve in many of the offices you'd otherwise be eligible for. If you feign ignorance (even if it's a lie), you might get the job.

A guilty child could get this job. "Did you eat the last cookie?" *complete silence*
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=AlaskanEmily
author=Kaliesto
Gay Frogs.
Best frogs.

Thanks