WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
I know you are supposed to be fulfilling some devil's advocate role in the conversation, but it almost seems like you are saying it's wrong to have disdain towards your oppressors. Regardless of how "icky" they think being not-straight is, millions(?) of people shouldn't be forced to live life differently because another group of people's guidelines say that shouldn't happen.

Not all Christians are homophobic, hate-filled, and vile idiots. However, most of them aren't particularly "happy" with the concept of homosexuality. One of my best friends (who isn't Catholic, but still Christian, just in case that was somehow relevant) told me that being gay is a sin according to the bible and for that reason it is wrong. She doesn't hate gay people and won't go out of her way to harass them, but she does think gay people should strive to not be gay.

It also just isn't hard-core Christians who hate on gays either. There are people that might believe in God and Jesus in some sense, but do not show much devotion towards it at all that I know, yet they make derogatory and harassing comments and actions towards homosexuals all of the time.

also putting homosexuality anywhere near pedophilia is very offensive. since when does two men/two women being sexually/romantically attracted to each other compare to the heinous thing that is pedophilia? it doesn't matter if people think they are comparable, they are not aside from the fact that they aren't typical.
Adon237
i understand that sexual preference isn't a choice. but pedophilia shouldn't be associated with homosexuality. men having sex with men/women doing the same thing isn't even a bad thing in this world, even more so when compared to an older person doing things to children, who technically cannot give consent. so yeah, pedophilia of all things probably shouldn't have been used.

even if they can't help their attraction to children, pedophilia is actually a bad thing and should be suppressed. homosexuality isn't damaging much of anything, there are plenty of heterosexual people to supply the world with new people if it's effect on population growth was a concern. (which it isn't)

i feel like this should have had it's own topic, we've tainted this thread
I am thinking about pizza
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
thanks for proving my point I guess, by reacting with such immediate and unrestrained disgust toward pedos, and being offended by the idea of mentioning them at all regardless of what was actually being said. pretty much everyone is like that, which was the only thing I was actually saying about pedos: everyone is disgusted by them. I never did compare gays to pedos. Ever. That would be pretty insulting!

I don't think it's wrong to have disdain toward your oppressors, but I think referring to homophobic people as "your oppressors" is wrong. They're not locking you in concentration camps and marching you single-file into incinerators disguised as showers. One of them might have shoved you into a locker when you were 13 but that's not an excuse to hate them all. That's massive negative stereotyping, like hating islam because muslims are all terrorists, or hating homosexuality because gays are all pedos. It's a false stereotype and it's unfair.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I second the 'all pedophiles are not necessarily bad people' sentiment but to say that homophobic people can't be oppressors is..uh..well, just look at Russia.
author=kentona
Nuke the gay whales for Jesus!

Probably wouldn't be the worst or weirdest thing anyone's ever done for the guy.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I didn't say none of them were like that. I simply corrected him for saying that all of them were like that.
Adon237
not sure why it would be ill-advised to react negatively to pedophilia? if you are using how a person reacts to pedophilia as a comparison to how someone reacts to homosexuality, that is putting those two things on the same level?? okay idk

people can still be oppressed without genocide, oppression isn't an all-or-nothing deal, there are different degrees of it

and closet cases are the result of fear of being known as homosexual. i mean even if the danger(not sure if that word is appropriate) is becoming less, it is still a big thing. you can still face totally unjust circumstances simply because of gender preferences, and there are several places in this world where being gay isn't something taken lightly

e: overall being gay still isn't as 'safe' as it should be, and since i am assuming you are not gay lockez you wouldn't know firsthand that being so casually compared to pedophiles (people do it very often) is devastating, and they believe that it is something as heinous as pedophilia.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Won't somebody please think of the children?! ... just not like that.

The thing about pedophilia is that it can be qualified as a debilitating and society-damaging mental illness, while homosexuality isn't damaging in any way as this is, by definition, the attraction to others of the same gender (legal age being implied), so therefore doesn't hold the same level as the prior in terms of something people should oppose.

Not saying that homosexuality should be considered a mental illness as this was dismissed in 1973, and arguing that it might be such would result in otherwise healthy people being sent to mental hospitals to seek treatment that does not exist. It's bad enough there's already enough people out there that believe legitimately mentally ill people are helpless subhumans who are demon possessed (hence so many being pushed towards exorcism).
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Link_2112
author=pianotm
The concept was that aliens were communicating throughout the galaxy searching for intelligent life, and found whales, which many oceanic scientists believe may indeed be more intelligent than humans. When the whales died, the aliens sent a probe to find out why they lost contact. These concepts don't seem so strange once you accept the possibility that humans aren't as great you think they are.
So why couldn't the aliens make contact with humans? Humans are intelligent life. I guess so the point could be made that "maybe we aren't as great as we think we are". Star Trek likes to do that. Even if Whales are more intelligence in certain ways, it doesn't mean that Humans aren't intelligent. All humans are not equal, there are some really stupid people.

Well, yes, but again, what the writers were going for was the concept that humans are so different that the aliens couldn't comprehend us as a sentient species, much like the same way scientists insist dogs aren't sentient, even though common sense clearly shows that a dog thinks, feels, and even ruminates the same way we do. It doesn't change the fact that we will never be able to comprehend the thought processes of dog or ever decipher and learn his language, thus, we thoughtlessly dismiss him as a lower life form. It doesn't mean we think he's stupid. It just means we can't understand him. Remember that the alien probe was programmed in whale song. We do not understand whale song. We will never understand whale song. It is just as unlikely that those beings that speak whale song will ever understand English, French, Spanish, German, Chinese, or Swahili, just those beings that speak these languages will never understand dog barking.

It's all idea in prose anyway. This is the kind of stuff that Bradbury and Asimov ordinarily writes, and Star Trek doesn't usually go in that direction so this one was kind of out there. The Motion Picture was another one that based its plot on a futurist concept and that one ended up being a bit boring. Star Trek usually leans more fantasy than sci-fi, and sci-fi can be hard to get if you're not ready for it.
author=kentona

Stay away from my family
pianotm
author=LockeZ
I did very specifically say "pedophiles who haven't raped anyone" in order to prevent your stupid tirade about child abuse. It apparently didn't work because you only read every other word or something and decided to rant for a page and a half anyway.

I don't actually particularly care about whatever we were supposed talking about before I got a concussion when your train wreck of thought crashed. (Dicks, I think?) Not enough to argue any more, at least. Mostly I just think that being offended simply that other people are offended is probably kind of stupid.

☪☮⚥✡☥☯✞

Cute wingdings, but you didn't have to go to the trouble for me. So, at what point did you stop being civil, and how exactly is my train wreck of thought any worse or longer than some of the verbal ejaculations I've seen you post?

Note also, that here, I encourage you to express yourself, instead of just dismissing you. There's another way I could have taken this, but have decided to be polite instead.

author=alterego
As far as I know, "pedophile" is a term that belongs only to realm of psychiatry. If colloquially speaking, people conflate it with the actual act of abusing a child, is either due to ignorance, which is understandable to a point; or because they don't care about the difference, which is just dumb. So no, is nothing like "murderers who haven't killed anyone" and all that...

Precisely. Just having thoughts of it doesn't make you one in psychological terms. Pedophilia falls under the heading of obsession. Obsessions are not dangerous if they do not affect your life. Thinking about something isn't enough. You have to think about it to the extent that it adversely affects your daily life before you can be clinically classified as a pedophile.

author=LockeZ
author=unity
Other people just draw that line in a slightly different place - if they condemn homosexuality even if it doesn't harm anyone, you should at least be able to empathize with them, even though you disagree.

Villainizing them as hate-spewing idiots, as I see too often, doesn't help make things any more civil. Them villainizing homosexuals as corrupters trying to tear down society isn't improving matters either. As with most issues, both sides need to be able to recognize the other as a legitimate point of view that can be debated against, instead of a threat to modern civilization that needs to be stomped out as soon as possible.
Frankly, nobody is evil; not even pedophiles. Still, if nobody is evil, then nobody is good. How we are is all dependent on how we direct our focus. Being gay, straight, or pedophile may not be a choice, but any of these people have the power to change their minds. Being an oppressor, hating, raging, is a choice, yet it seems that the vast majority of people are incapable of changing their minds once they've decided that everyone they don't like deserves to burn.

author=LockeZ
It's possible to think something is wrong without thinking that everyone who disagrees with you is either insane, evil, or an idiot.

And how shall I take your unprovoked response to me? Never mind...I almost forgot I'm being polite.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Why are we having a discussion about whether or not labeling people is wrong?
author=Isrieri

Because my mentioning of my desire to bang aliens started something terrible?

I'm sort of proud, honestly.
pianotm
author=Isrieri

Because we're bored and there are no video games with ninja orangutans to play.
Adon237
i am thinking about warmer weather and why it isn't here yet
I am thinking about how nice and warm it's been for the past few days, compared to how cold it was earlier this month. :D
LockeZ
author=pianotm
So, at what point did you stop being civil?
Let's see, I set my avatar as House in 2012 in order to go along with my lack of civility. So, probably a little while before that.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Pizza
author=kentona
Stay away from my family

It's not our fault that your family was born delicious.