WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=arcan
I'm wondering if it's legal to remake a fully copyrighted game if I don't intend to profit from it.

Technically, yes, but you have to know how to do it. Okay, here's the thing: if you create an original story, you can't copyright the names or titles or anything like that. You can only copyright content. If you you are taking someone else's work and copy the content word for word, that is called plagiarism. In order to make a remake that is legal, you have to re-envision and rewrite the story from your own vision. You're allowed to make overall elements recognizable. You're not allowed to copy dialogue word for word (fair use laws allow you to do it a few times).

In the fanfiction community, there is a question of what constitute's plagiarism and what doesn't. Fanfiction writers often tend to stay dangerously close to the source material, and are sticklers about details. Technically, fair use allows you to quote the source material from time to time, but if you are rewriting page after page of a scene from an episode of Star Trek, there are grounds for legal action. However, a completely original story using Kirk, Spock, and McCoy is legally untouchable (note, names cannot be copyrighted, only trademarked. Copyrights protect your work from being copied. Trademarks only keep your work from being sold by a third party.).

Paramount spent years trying to shut down the fanfiction community, (which is largely what alienated the Star Trek fans during the 90s and the previous decade...you don't piss on your fans if you want to keep them). They failed, the courts only prosecuting direct plagiarism, and ultimately throwing out everything else.

It is set in stone. You cannot copy what has been written, but the characters in the stories are legally yours to do with as you please as long as you don't sell them.

BTW, graphics fall under the category of copyright-able content, so you'll need to make alterations to appearance.

author=Pizza
author=Adon237
what are furries??
I am the resident expert on this topic. Unfortunately I can't articulate my knowledge in a safe for RMN manner.

Umm...I don't think anyone can.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=LockeZ
author=Adon237
what are furries??
a quick guide:

Cracks me up every time.

author=pianotm
author=Pizza
author=Adon237
what are furries??
I am the resident expert on this topic. Unfortunately I can't articulate my knowledge in a safe for RMN manner.
Umm...I don't think anyone can.

*deep breath*

You see, there are varying definitions of "furry":

1. Those who simply enjoy the spiritual bond between human and animal or placing human-inherent qualities on animals (anthropomorphism). This sort of thing can be found in some ancient cultures where there were gods created to resemble a blend of both kinds which governed a plane of existence or a celestial force. In the modern day, we typically only see such creatures in cartoons as they allow an ease of entry for children into subject matters they may otherwise not care about by engaging with their imaginations. Adults who feel the same way likely have this connection due to some stunted growth during development.
2. Those who genuinely feel like they have a spirit animal inside them and wish to express it outwardly by dressing up in fursuits. This is most likely a symptom of personality disorders but also may be spurred on by the person's exposure to matters concerning the proposed sociological similarities between man and beast.
3. Those who find sexual gratification out of depictions of anthromorph animal-people in explicit situations/positions or otherwise, though mostly the former. This likely has its origin in cartoons which, like 1, carried through into puberty and remained an influence into what a person views as pleasurable. This does not necessarily mean, however, that the person condones any pursuit of bestiality.

You can kind of view 3 as the "gateway drug" of fetishes that many would consider strange (such as bondage, tickling, burping/farting, or expansion-related fetishes) as those whose line is blurred by this will likely find no problem with or may even experience pleasure by tapping into such taboo subject matter. The trigger for such things have been proven to be linked to situations in cartoons that were originally intended for comedic effect (a character being blown up like a balloon and then flying away by a stream of released air) but instead had an adverse reaction in the viewer that resulted in an affinity with said situation.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
so 1) people who like anthropomorphized animals 2) people who believe their soul is of an animals 3) people who like the animals from 1 sexually.

are these able to be combined? or are they just stages that include the previous ones as it progresses

i like how this topic's going.

it's great to be king.

i am also going to cry if they put Diddy Kong in the new SSB
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
It's not something that can necessarily be drawn out on a line as 1 must lead to 2 which eventually leads to 3 or anything. Instead, it depends on the interests of the person. However, they can be combined and, in most cases, are, though there are those who simply exhibit behavior inherent with 1.

The verdict is still out on whether or not those who claim to apply strictly to 1 are being honest or are denying given the nature of their affection.
I don't necessarily know if I can help you guys understand why people feel that affection on the levels that they do, but I can try. Thing is, it's different for me because I exclusively feel romantic love for non-human sentient creatures in general, not just furries. Given that I'm the only vocal member of those people in this site, I should try.

The fact that I do love non-humans exclusively makes me think of it as less of a fetish, especially combined with having those feelings as a young child. I can't figure a reason though- I always thought that you didn't really need one. Just speaking of simple biology, I have no idea what could possibly make an orgamism interested in things that don't even exist.

My friends who have pondered on it sometimes say that its because I'm an artist, and that maybe I see more romance in "creative" things. Maybe, but that seems really far fetched. If I really had to guess I'd say that I feel as though the love is deeper, as it has to transcend boundaries of entire species, perhaps even as far as DNA, and WHAT the person is. But thats just a shot in the dark.
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
*Runs around updating passwords*
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=BurningTyger

Reminds me of the shitstorm I'm currently dealing with in regards to my AOL account. I could tell it was compromised, but in order to change my password, I have to go through a security question, to which I completely forgot the answer to. Every time I try to reset the security question, however, I get an error page stating that they "don't have enough information to perform that request."

Bullshit.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Travio
author=TehGuy
author=Travio
author=arcan
I'm wondering if it's legal to remake a fully copyrighted game if I don't intend to profit from it.
According to everything that's happened to every Chrono Trigger remake project ever - no.
Well, that's due more to SquareEnix not wanting anyone to do that..

Black Mesa is really the only entire remake that the original devs were completely fine with that I know of, though
More a guide of assume it's not legal until permission is given.

Fanfiction, remix music, and using screenshots or quotes from the game in a forum discussion are actually all exactly as illegal as a remake of the game. Copyright law is extremely broad so that content creators never have to worry about someone skirting around the edge of the laws. They can technically prosecute basically anyone who mentions the game's name, as long as it wasn't part of a news broadcast or an accredited educational curriculum.

The question is not whether it's illegal but whether they will ask you to stop. If what you're making gets enough publicity and they believe it might cut into their profits, they will ask you to stop.

For the record I think they've only shut down two Chrono Trigger fan games? Maybe three? There are a few hundred others they've left alone.

author=BurningTyger
Make sure the sites/games/whatever have actually fixed the Heartbleed bug before you do this! Many haven't yet, and changing your password will only make things worse. (Has RMN fixed it? Was RMN even affected?)

Also, if you didn't log into a particular website/game/whatever between Monday and when they fixed the bug, you don't actually need to change your password. The Heartbleed bug only lets people steal data that is in the server's active memory; i.e., stuff that the computer has been thinking about recently. Thank god, because I easily have over two thousand online accounts.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
To be more specific, I am remaking the board game Catan, but I plan to use my own graphics/sound effects.

I wouldn't sweat it.
Make sure the sites/games/whatever have actually fixed the Heartbleed bug before you do this! Many haven't yet, and changing your password will only make things worse. (Has RMN fixed it? Was RMN even affected?)

HA! Do you guys honestly think anything on RMN is communicated on a secure socket layer? You guys are lucky that we even bother to encrypt passwords in our database.

author=zacheatscrackers
After hearing that Pong is an assist trophy and knowing that Little Mac will be a fighter, I care about nothing else.
I can't wait for the new Megaman game ft. the cast of Smash Bros!
author=LockeZ
author=Travio
author=TehGuy
author=Travio
author=arcan
According to everything that's happened to every Chrono Trigger remake project ever - no.
Well, that's due more to SquareEnix not wanting anyone to do that..

Black Mesa is really the only entire remake that the original devs were completely fine with that I know of, though
More a guide of assume it's not legal until permission is given.
Fanfiction, remix music, and using screenshots or quotes from the game in a forum discussion are actually all exactly as illegal as a remake of the game. Copyright law is extremely broad so that content creators never have to worry about someone skirting around the edge of the laws. They can technically prosecute basically anyone who mentions the game's name, as long as it wasn't part of a news broadcast or an accredited educational curriculum.

The question is not whether it's illegal but whether they will ask you to stop. If what you're making gets enough publicity and they believe it might cut into their profits, they will ask you to stop.

For the record I think they've only shut down two Chrono Trigger fan games? Maybe three? There are a few hundred others they've left alone.

To be fair, the ones they did shut down had actually hacked the roms to use the source information, meaning they were messing with code that Square did not want anyone messing with, ever. I don't think they've ever bothered with an actual game that wasn't a rom hack, though I could be wrong.

Marvel did send a cease and desist on a game before (Marvel Brothel), which is understandable considering the actual content of the game. XD

Not sure I can recall any RM projects that were shut down. I know a few have received warnings from 'companies' but they turned out to be fakes from people who felt like the game was too close to their own games. :/

It may just be my bad memory though. I've an inkling there was at least one other that was cut short due to cease and desist orders, but can't quite recall which it was.

Oh, and before you start updating your passwords, check that the site is no longer a risk or it'll be for naught. There's a site that checks for you (Here!) and I know Tumblr is currently safe (it's the only one I bothered changing XD).
They shut down a major one that wasn't hacking ROM code:
Chrono Ressurection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Resurrection

This wasn't even intended as a full remake and they still got shoved with a C&D. They've shut down anything that could be seen as actually being made by them, which is pretty much what the legal issue with copyright on remakes is - could this particular thing, under any circumstance, be presumed to have at some point had some involvement with Company X?

Remaking Catan is another thing entirely; you can't put a copyright on mechanics, only the materials used and their presentation. Yes, this is a major point of contention and annoyance in the communities that make tabletop games - a company like Onyx Path/White Wolf can't stop me from using the Storyteller system in my own published material... so long as I don't call it the Storyteller system and don't make any reference inferring it might be the Storyteller system and don't make use of any of their material. This has lead to both fun innovation in the tabletop world and horridly horrid theft of material. In theory, the same sort of thing applies to video games as well; you can make a spiritual successor of something using all the mechanics ripped perfectly... so long as you aren't using the proprietary parts, ie. the presentation.
Well, as long as you don't use the code. Remember, Square tried to patent the ATB system but only managed to get the code since an IDEA can't be copyrighted. Pity for them~ :DDD

So, they're very touchy about their code being touched and their image being confused too, it seems. (Don't blame them for the code at all and trademarks make sense to protect especially when it comes to a game like CT which is highly regarded as one of the best jRPGs of all time.)
The actual code itself is part of proprietary presentation. ;) If the outcome is the same mechanics wise but different on the code side, it's not an infringement of the proprietary... thing (oh god, words escaping).

Then again, I'm not a lawyer and the practice is only from legal advice from a Canadian stand point - the company I work for last year had a subtask assigned to us to examine a potential copyright infringement by an open source project. After three days spent examining the two sets of code, legal advice came down that it would be impossible to press the case because, while the end result played the same, the process of getting to that end result was vastly different (and, in fact and very amusingly, the open source version was the better way to get to the end result).
It's software patents! Just hire somebody who can make it awful and vague enough then you to can get a patent on minigames during loading screens!

Or patent the most exalted video game idea of all time.

PLAYER quotes MARX
"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."
WORLD is inflicted with SERFDOM
No, you're right. Square tried to take the idea and make it inaccessible to anyone else but they were overruled. Thus, only the code itself is theirs, not the actual idea. I like to think there was a lot of hair-pulling and mouth-frothing when the next RPG came out that used the same system. XD

Don't get me wrong, Square is a company I've loved during my youth, but they have kinda slipped a bit and it is nice to see them frothing at the mouth a little, eating that ol' humble pie. They could do with a few more chomps and then, hopefully, rise from the ashes as a better company.

@GRS: Wait a goddamn minute! WTF!? I should have patented that while I had the chance. >.<;
author=Liberty
No, you're right. Square tried to take the idea and make it inaccessible to anyone else but they were overruled. Thus, only the code itself is theirs, not the actual idea. I like to think there was a lot of hair-pulling and mouth-frothing when the next RPG came out that used the same system. XD

Don't get me wrong, Square is a company I've loved during my youth, but they have kinda slipped a bit and it is nice to see them frothing at the mouth a little, eating that ol' humble pie. They could do with a few more chomps and then, hopefully, rise from the ashes as a better company.

Square Enix as a company is, at least, starting to come to it's senses. Between the view from Bravely Default's massive success and Yoshida actively speaking out about them being a decade behind the times and doing it wrong (and being able to get away with it because hey, he saved the company from bankruptcy), I think the company as a whole is finally realizing it needs to go back to doing things how it used to do it.

author=GreatRedSpirit
Or patent the most exalted video game idea of all time.

PLAYER quotes MARX
"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."
WORLD is inflicted with SERFDOM

I just read through all the flow charts in there and I'm laughing. Thank you - my last few hours of planned work time today will now have to be postponed until I can get back on track. ;)
I found one of SE's ATB patnets!

US5390937
Abstract
Disclosed in a video game of enhanced realism in which actual combat is closely simulated. The game is so adapted that an enemy character on a display screen may launch an attack against a player character on the same screen, even while the player character is in the process of inputting a command, at elapse of a set time period specific to the enemy character. The attack is made without an interruption in the flow of time of the game.

(There might be more, I found the patent numbers from somebody else asking a related question)

I assume this one was never challenged or revoked, it has payments on it as of 2006. It's expired now though and getting smacked with ATB Active was a thing in Square games but not others (that I know of).

e: Square sunk a massive amount of time and capital making FF14 a not-awful game and it turned out pretty well! That and Bravely Default have done wonders for reinspiring faith in them again (although I hope they edge away from AAA game development because it hasn't been working well with them so far)