WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I just had a dream where I was watching a fictitious terrorist leader singing (or lip-syncing) a beautiful song sung by a woman in another language with the occasional line in English (singing about the gold in the hills and other shit) with the distinct intention of being "pretty" (smooth features, fair voice). It was surreal and I woke up curled up into a ball.

EDIT: P-p-p-page snipe.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
The hell's gamergate?

I'm curious but not enough to actually google it.
Seiromem
I can't say I understand any of that.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Basically, a guy accused his indie game developer girlfriend of cheating on him with a journalist and it's blown up into a massive movement that says indie gamers are destroying the industry.
Wasn't it that corrupt journalists were destroying the industry, not indie game devs? Or something?

Basically most people think that Zoe Quinn slept with this game journalist (and possibly a couple others) in order to get better reviews on her game and it's just exploded from there. Both sides of this have some people who've gotten violent (death threats kinda violent) and it's just gotten ridiculously out of hand.

Edit: Though, just btw there IS a lot more to it than this and I can't explain it all without writing a book on it, not to mention that some of my personal bias would leak into said explanation. plus I'm so very very tired of the whole feminism and women in gaming discussion
Seiromem
It's much simpler than I thought, then.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I don't think I've ever seen a bigger example of first-world problems than #GamerGate
PlatinumAshes
I am now certain that you are not scum and are just town trying to play scum as hard as possible.
Any problem involving the game industry is a first world problem.

But in terms of issues that seriously affect the gaming industry, biased and unethical game-journalism is up there.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yeah, pretty much all of this and a lot more. There's also something to be said for the idea that GamerGate is feuled by male chauvanism attacking elements of the gaming industry that threatens the masculinity of this predominantly male field.
Basically GamerGate is (currently) saying that the manchildren who continue to attack women or prominent feminists in the industry are responsible for the... Downfall? Holding back? Corruption of the industry? There was never any issue with indie gaming in general as far as I know, just criticism aimed at developers who didn't "fix" supposed "sexist" things in their games (I use quotes because sometimes the things being criticized weren't really sexist and sometimes they obviously were).

This is my main problem with hashtag based news, nobody seems to have a clear definition of what they're referring to when they add that hashtag into a post. I swear that after reading a lot of tweets/FB messages with the tag some people are just using it to refer to men, or to anybody who plays video games at all.

I honestly believe that half the reason the problem is so bad is due to the fact that information on Twitter is never clear at all. Which is why I hate that website.
author=kentona
sadly, this isn't the first time this has come up for this exact reason.

#StopGamerGate2014

E:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/16/of-gamers-gates-and-disco-demolition-the-roots-of-reactionary-rage.html

Another article linked in the above one that goes into detail of what GamersGate is
http://deadspin.com/the-future-of-the-culture-wars-is-here-and-its-gamerga-1646145844

This will never stop being relevant, will it?

e: It's all born of the same shit, is what I'm saying. Fuck Gamersgate.
author=PlatinumAshes
Any problem involving the game industry is a first world problem.But in terms of issues that seriously affect the gaming industry, biased and unethical game-journalism is up there.

I kinda have issue with this as no... it's not just a first world issue. For some reason people don't think the so-called 3rd world actually has things like gaming systems, mobiles and other technological wonders. They do. And they use them - both male and female.

Just felt compelled to point that out.

As for gamergate, I'm not getting into that since both sides are to blame. That said, when a woman can't talk about sexism in the game industry at a university because threats come in about shooting up the place and the 'feminists' there if she speaks... well, that's fucking bullshit.

(I'd like to point out that all through the 90s gamers were trying to dissuade people from linking video games and school shootings and now the idiots are linking the two again. FFS)
Why does it matter if it takes place or not in the developing world? Never mind the root cause is common across the world it's an attempt to dismiss the issue through a race to the bottom. We can't fight X when Y is so much worse! Then they'll be a Z which is even worse and we can drop the bar so low we'll have to dig under our feet so we can see it when we proudly proclaim that we can step over it.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=seiromem
It's much simpler than I thought, then.

Please note that Kotaku doesn't have any articles related to those games.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
i had a big post about it but essentially its a baseless and misogynistic effort to silence women in the games industry (i can only type with one hand so i am not retyping.)

I'll PM you soon, kentona. plus if you know me as Kyrsty im fine with it being used, but this username came from a time of extreme fandom + my other reasons. I like to think I'm slightly more mature now.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I'm doing research into the matter now, and it sounds fucking ridiculous. What stings me the most is the reaction of the people that essentially boils down to "women can't make games, only men can make games because it's an artsy escape that allows me to stare at jubblies".

In other news, I had a dream that I was flying, so that was fun.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Libby's mafia game drew in a mess-ton of people. The one I was thinking of hosting would support up to 15. Though, I sincerely doubt there would be as much interest in it. At least I will try to aim for minimal amounts of meta-arguments. I will be making crap up (Not 100% making crap up! It will be based on... something!) rather than going by "official" lore.

Well, I'm probably not going to mess with it for a while. The current game will keep people busy enough, and, I'd rather work on my Revive the Dead entry anyway.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Liberty
I kinda have issue with this as no... it's not just a first world issue. For some reason people don't think the so-called 3rd world actually has things like gaming systems, mobiles and other technological wonders. They do. And they use them - both male and female.

mmm...It really depends. Where I'm from (Pakistan), only, like, the top 10% of society ever has enough money to buy latest gen consoles. Also, last I checked most of the country suffers from a lack of 24/7 electricity.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
GRS where do you find these awesome gifs?