WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=Dudesoft
Spay cat. Cat will leave you alone.

I'm assuming the cat has been neutered, unless you're breeding pedigrees or the cat is under 6 months it is irresponsible not to do so.
Hm... if you want kittens, even if they're not pedigrees, it's fine as long as you keep them and give them a good home.

When it comes to spaying, it's interesting to see what it does to a cat.
If a cat is spayed before they're fully grown (that is, still teen-young adult) they tend to stay small and slim.
If a cat is spayed after they're fully grown, they tend to put on a lot of weight and grow fat.

Also, some say it's best to let a female cat have one litter before spaying. This gets rid of the childish tendencies that they display (acting like kittens all the time). If you do this, though, it's recommended that you keep one of the kittens for her to baby, or she'll call consistently for them in her sleep and turn to you as a substitute - often 'teaching' you to catch mice and leaving 'presents' around for you to find.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Liberty, that is very informative!
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=Liberty
When it comes to spaying, it's interesting to see what it does to a cat.
If a cat is spayed before they're fully grown (that is, still teen-young adult) they tend to stay small and slim.
If a cat is spayed after they're fully grown, they tend to put on a lot of weight and grow fat.

Also, some say it's best to let a female cat have one litter before spaying. This gets rid of the childish tendencies that they display (acting like kittens all the time). If you do this, though, it's recommended that you keep one of the kittens for her to baby, or she'll call consistently for them in her sleep and turn to you as a substitute - often 'teaching' you to catch mice and leaving 'presents' around for you to find.

Actually the weight gain is about the change in metabolism, some cats (and dogs) have a drop in metabolism and hence put on weight, others don't. There are a few studies that indicate neutered cats tend towards a larger body type in length rather than width, but if a cat is getting fat, then cutting down on it's food is the healthier option. In regard to the first litter, it's actually healthier for the female cat to not have one as it significantly reduces the risk of certain types of cancers. For male cats it's even healthier as it almost completely removes the risk of FIV. Not to mention neutering increases overall lifespan so you get to keep that treasured pet for years longer. I used to do volunteer work at RSPCA and I listened to the vets and nurses, all of my pets have been 'fixed' because of it.
Odd. I got my information about weight from a very experienced vet (he's been in the business for well over 30 years) and various experts/books about cats. That said, I wasn't saying that they'll get fat and there's no way to stop it, but that they will have a bigger build if neutered after adulthood. Fat can still be managed, but they won't be as small and sleek as if they were neutered before adulthood. It's a hormonal thing - as with eunichs who were castrated before teen years, they tend not to grow as big and burly as those who were castrated afterwards. That's not saying there will be outliers - there's always exceptions - but it's nearly almost the case. And they are more likely to put on weight. It can be managed, sure, but the chances of them being fat cats can be due to that.

As for the mother cat/kitten thing, I learned that through owning cats all my life (and books). The mother cats we've had usually never stopped looking for their babies unless we actually kept one, and they tended to be more mature and settled in nature, while those who were spayed before they had a litter were always more rambunctious and childish. The mother cats would try to 'train' us if one of her kittens weren't present and brought in more live animals than those who weren't mothers - they tended to kill the animals straight out and leave parts of them around.

Health benefit wise, I'm not talking about that because I'm not a vet, but nature-wise that's how it is. Again, there will be outliers and exceptions, but for the most part, we've had cats (and quite a few of them) for all my life so I've seen a lot of their natures and reactions to being spayed/neutered.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I was about to say that I need to stop posting when I'm half asleep, but this was interesting to read. I've never seen my brain dead stupidity provoke such informative discussion before.

Yeah, my cat was spayed before I got her. The reason why she's so clingy is because she accidentally got lost about two years ago. I found her under a neighbor's car about three days later. I guess she thinks of me as her savior or something, because ever since then, she never leaves me alone.

The ass in face routine is new, though. I need to stop that.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It can be something else. Your Cat may be unhappy about something and this is the most obvious way to get your attention. Or you are and as we all know, cats are very sensitive.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Wait, where is the link to the load of people who are offended?
author=Sated
So President Obama uses the word "nigger" in a valid context to make a valid point and apparently a load of people are offended by that? I don't understand.

Can't wait for the crocodile tears
"US President Barack Obama has used the 'n-word' during an interview to argue that the United States has yet to overcome its issues with racism" thus proving that the United States has yet to overcome its issues with racism.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
People are dumb. The guys on game informer seem to think that the new tom clancy game with open-world gameplay is about fighting a bunch of drug lords wearing white hats...
It showed gameplay with multiple avenues of attacking the same situation and they thought it was different game segments. People are dumb.
When you add race and religion to the mix? Forget it.
There's a big black dude on my crew at work. He comes from the South, and assumes all the people around him are racist to him because he's Black. Uh, hello, welcome to Canada?
I think that... And then on the way to the grocery store some inbred white trash yells at an indian couple to learn English better and stop speaking gobbujabbu (his words). So it is ridiculous.
To say anyone is sane or semi-intelligent, regardless where you go is pointless.
Hell, if I go to Japan, I'd be picked on for being (what was it?) Gaijin? I forget. Racism is EVERYWHERE.
Currently thankful that, while my school was pretty lacking in information, it wasn't this fucked up when it came to sex ed: http://silversatyr.tumblr.com/post/121826326592/the-math-goddess-alexanderrutzou

Damn. That's some crazy shit. I hope none of you guys and gals had to deal with that kind of bullshit in school because it's seriously wrong.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
author=Liberty
Currently thankful that, while my school was pretty lacking in information, it wasn't this fucked up when it came to sex ed
Damn. That's some crazy shit. I hope none of you guys and gals had to deal with that kind of bullshit in school because it's seriously wrong.

Is that recent?
Seriously, I'd think that was what they would have taught me in the 1800s.
Seems my school was all about the safe sex and it being your decision.
"Hey, you want to have sex? Sure sure, that's fine, perfectly normal, just make sure someone has a condom you both had blood tests to check for HIV, and check that you don't have STDs then go for it! Just remember condoms aren't perfect but they work most of the time so if you're okay with risking that (insert relatively low percentage they gave us) of the condom failing then go wild!"
^^^^
A Brief Summary of my health class on Sex Ed, excluding identifying all the STDs.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Sated
author=Max McGee
Wait, where is the link to the load of people who are offended?
I should've said: I got that part from watching my Twitter feed, where most posts were either people complaining or people complaining about people complaining.

I don't always agree with Obama, but I agreed with pretty much everything Obama said in the interview you linked.

I would love to see whoever is butthurt about Obama using the n-word, so I can laugh at them. (Not sure if Social Justice Brigade or Fox News screaming that "RACISM IS OVER"!)

e:

author=Liberty
Currently thankful that, while my school was pretty lacking in information, it wasn't this fucked up when it came to sex ed: http://silversatyr.tumblr.com/post/121826326592/the-math-goddess-alexanderrutzou

This one is the best:

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That stuff isn't "sex ed" Liberty, it's just disapproval of extramarital sex. (I mean, except for the sperm-through-clothing one.)

If you want to disapprove of extramarital sex, though, then disapprove of it because you believe it's morally wrong. Not because you think it makes the sex or the romance worse somehow. Culture in most western countries has changed to the point where it's no longer valid to claim you will disappoint your lovers if you're not chaste until marriage. Be honest with people about your beliefs and they'll take them more seriously. If you try to convince people to do what you believe in by making up bullshit excuses, they won't stay convinced for very long.

To be fair, culture wasn't there yet 30-40 years ago when our parents and pastors were growing up. When they were teenagers and young adults, some of these issues (the ones about how partners will view you) were real. Less common than they were 60-70 years ago but still very real. You can forgive them for wanting to protect kids from what they thought would be heartache and misery.