WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Can your girlfriend legally make you sign a contract in chinese ( a language that I cannot read) that bans you from speaking to any japanese or going to japan?

PS. I'm am definitely going to break up with this woman. This is over-controlling, and besides, I want to live in Japan. It's absurd.
For all that not much happened in this week's One Piece chapter, it really felt good to see everyone so happy and just so relieved over finally being free. I think Oda did a great job conveying that sense of "Finally over". X3

@faces: I believe there's something in the law that allows you to not be held accountable when signing something that is deliberately misleading.
Hell, I'd be surprised if there wasn't something in the law that allowed for other-language contracts from being valid if it was misrepresented to the signee wrongly.
Double hell, a contract in only one language without a duplicate in your own language probably wouldn't stand up in the court of law.
Triple hell, Japan might have completely different laws when it comes to contract signage. Just move to a country that has these laws in effect then go to Japan. ;p
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm pretty sure no one can legally make you sign a contract, period.
He probably means that he signed a contract in Chinese which he was told meant one thing but in reality meant another. Or something like that.
Well, let me back track; I was working in Japan as a car salesman, but changed job for a english school, they closed down, revealed to me that they never filed the paperwork for my visa and that my tourist visa would run out 3 weeks later.

So I contacted my taiwanese girlfriend, she set up a apartment for me, helped me get my visa and everything was fine for a while. I even started working at a different school. But lately, we have been fighting and she is developing a xenophobia of anything japanese, and constantly is trying to trim any of it out of my life.

She had me sign a contract in chinese that she said was for the power and electric deposit, and a month later she is taking the same contract and claiming that it will ban me from entering japan or speaking to any japanese what so ever. Seeing how I was only planning to stay in Taiwan til November, when I can re-enter Japan and refile my visa with a different school, I am pretty infuriated. That and, I'm pretty certain such a xenophobic contract is completely illegal when applied to American citizens.

Here's the catch: Payday is 15 days away, and all of my money has been spent on just flying me from Tokyo to Taichung, and getting that apartment and power deposit down. So, if I leave her now, no food. And 15 days is a long time to not eat.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
In America, if you are tricked (provably) into signing anything without your knowledge, it is not binding. This includes being tricked into signing a contract in a language you cannot read, a signature page being removed from the contract you sign and attached to a different contract (this is an old McCarthyist trick that the FBI used to do in the 60s to frame people as communists), and in any other case where there are clauses that are withheld from you. I don't know what the law is in China, but they must have similar codes with regards to contracts, otherwise their own government agencies would be subject to this kind of fraud.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
In China, the law is that if you bribe the government official who's handling your paperwork, your contract is legal, and if not, it's illegal.
pianotm
author=LockeZ
In China, the law is that if you bribe the government official who's handling your paperwork, your contract is legal, and if not, it's illegal.

Yeah, this is a thing. Go ahead and ask. If they fix it, cool beans. If not, don't get mad and make a scene. Just call a lawyer.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D

Holy hell I was expecting something cringy when I first saw this, but this guy has got skill!

Also, I'm curious as to why this thread, of all threads, hasn't been stickied?
The Fire Emblem I knew and loved is gone. FE14/FE: Fates came out in Japan today and I felt nothing.
It isn't stickied because there is no need. It shall always be on top.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Faces, that's some serious drama. Maybe, The contract doesn't say a word about Japan. You can't know without reading. It's time to stay in Taiwan and learn some Chinese.
pianotm
Faces, I thought about your problem. Don't deal with the Chinese offices. Go to the U. S. embassy and explain your situation. They've got lawyers on hand, and in a serious situation, they can provide food and shelter. Since you're an American citizen, they can easily clear up the matter of a fraudulent contract. It shouldn't take very long, either.
Pianotm, I may very well do that. That would be the best option as well; The only thing I worry about is that Taiwan technically does not have a embassy, they have the AIT (American Institute in Taiwan) which acts as the embassy authorized by the american government, but lacks the flexibility. What I might do, is come payday is just take a plane ticket to Korea, and go directly to the embassy there and request aide.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=facesforce
Can your girlfriend legally make you sign a contract in chinese ( a language that I cannot read) that bans you from speaking to any japanese or going to japan?

PS. I'm am definitely going to break up with this woman. This is over-controlling, and besides, I want to live in Japan. It's absurd.

No. Honestly even if the contract was written in English and you knew what it was it's not enforceable. She has no legal avenue to detain you, or prevent your passage to a country that allows you entry. The fact that is wasn't written in a language you understand and she fraudulently represented what it was for, is just icing on the cake and gives you the right for a legal action of your own.

You don't need to go to a third country, go to Japan. If you are still in some way worried about it speak to the embassy in Tokyo. You're going to have to dump her though.

e: One thing, make sure you don't owe her any money. There are lien provisions in a number of countries to prevent debtors absconding, but I'm unsure of Taiwan's rules in regard to this, and they generally only come into effect after being adjudicated by a court or judge. If you aren't planning on leaving until November then sit tight, don't argue with her about it, don't borrow anything from her and when you are ready to go, just go. Don't sign anything else, though.
LockeZ
pianotm's advice sounds 800x more authentic with an edgeworth avatar than with a triangle-hat druid avatar
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
So, after buying 2k3, I have been having legit thoughts about getting off my high horse and making a for-sale game on steam via rmAce. I have a writer on hand who is willing to help with story, and it would give me an outlet to make a long-time dream game where I hand-draw everything.
However, it has been years since I touched RM2k3 (which I am most familiar with) and will need to learn coding for VX. This'll be a few years away. Maybe more, to get right. Should I even bother? Or maybe work on preliminary art, have a full story/game made, then hire a coder with saved up $ to make a battle engine?
I'm tempted by the later, but, yeah... Just don't know.
Maybe better to stay on my high horse. Certainly cheaper.
Do the latter. People are more likely to jump on a pretty game that's almost done than one that isn't. Sad to say, but it's true. If you have pretty screenies to show off, you'll be much more likely to net yourself a decent scripter, plus, because the game will mostly be done, you'll have an even better chance because people will see that you've put a ton of effort in and that you're very likely to finish it.

Go for it Dudes! >.<)b