WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

The mouse I ordered from NewEgg.ca is shipping from Germany and went through Hong Kong.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
I really liked partners in time, or any of the Mario Bro RPGs, really.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=kentona
The mouse I ordered from NewEgg.ca is shipping from Germany and went through Hong Kong.

The computer I ordered from NewEgg is shipping from Tennessee and went through Ohio! On it's way to Michigan!

Maybe yours took the scenic route.
I generally liked the GBA RPGs.

I didn't really like Paper Mario, though. The story was really bland, and the game was way, way too linear to be a good RPG. I also hit the cap for badge points rather early, and that took most of the fun of choosing badges away.

Paper Mario: a solid 2 out of 5.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Max McGee
can we please stop pasting the image of the terrible lobster pizza
author=JosephSeraph

Don't be shellfish, Max.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I really liked mario sunshine.
author=FlyingJester
I didn't really like Paper Mario, though. The story was really bland, and the game was way, way too linear to be a good RPG. I also hit the cap for badge points rather early, and that took most of the fun of choosing badges away.

Paper Mario: a solid 2 out of 5.

*Lights torch, grabs pitchfork*

Nah, if I take my nostalia goggles off I can see where ou're coming from- regarding the story at least. I really like the basic, storybook quality it has, and how it does take itself seriously within that framework. The entire game is very charming to me, largely because of how the story interacts with the world and characters.

I don't really see how it's any more or less linear than other big name RPGs, but to each their own. If you want a more interesting story and more badge mechanics you should check out The Thousand Year Door, which focuses a lot more on gameplay.

Mirak

Same. I always felt that the backlash against it was a case of "ask for something different, then complain when it's different". The Fludd was a pretty cool mechanic, and it made for interesting scenarios when you had it taken away in the galaxy-esque levels.

It has a good deal of problems, but so does Super Mario 64, and that game gets all the praise in the universe thrown at it.
author=Pizza
I don't really see how it's any more or less linear than other big name RPGs, but to each their own. If you want a more interesting story and more badge mechanics you should check out The Thousand Year Door, which focuses a lot more on gameplay.

I have played Thousand Year Door, and I like it much better. I generally enjoy its story and setting more because it has a much deeper and more interesting story, and there is a nice play on the paper theme within the gameplay itself.

My big issue with the linearity of Paper Mario is that there are basically no optional items that aren't right in your way. The star pieces go a little way towards that, but they aren't especially well hidden, and no matter which ones you find they buy the same badges in the same order.
Given the rest of the badge system, it feels like a hugely wasted opportunity that every player will finish with a very similar collection of badges to choose from.
Super Mario 3D World is one of the best games ever released for the Wii U console
combining alot of elements from Super Mario Galaxy 1,2.
Mario 64 in comparison didn't excite me as much except for the fact it was
bland 3D environment.
Mirak
Incidentally paper mario and the thousand year door is one of the best games of the gamecube era.

author=Pizza
Mirak
Same. I always felt that the backlash against it was a case of "ask for something different, then complain when it's different". The Fludd was a pretty cool mechanic, and it made for interesting scenarios when you had it taken away in the galaxy-esque levels.

It has a good deal of problems, but so does Super Mario 64, and that game gets all the praise in the universe thrown at it.
It was a different game from the usual mario formula, but what i liked the most was just how beautiful it looked compared to it's predecessor, specially places like noki bay and sirena beach. In general the setting was fun and relaxing at times.
I really liked SMS, too.

I think the idea that it "broke with tradition" is a bit insane, and I thought that back then, too.

In Super Mario 64, coins heal you. You surf on top of koopa shells, you punch goombas. Almost every character that returns from the 2D games acts nothing like it did in the 2D games.

But then again, the 2D games are all over the place, too. In SMB2 (USA), you pull up vegetables from the ground. SMB3 is probably one of the closer games to the original (even counting the handheld games). And you fly using a raccoon tail as the main mechanic in that game. It features an almost entirely new cast of enemies, and the styling is fairly different, too.

Mario games have always been sort of all over the place. Every new game is very different from the last. There is not really a "mario formula", except "run around a bunch of levels, get stars or flagpoles or all the way to the end, rescue princess". And if you are willing to let Shine Sprites pass as stars, Super Mario Sunshine adheres perfectly to the formula of the previous games.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I didn't have n64. As a result, I didn't like Mario 64 once I got a chance to play it years later.
-shot-
I had an N64, but I also didn't have Mario 64. I still have all my old games, and I still don't have it. Somehow, I just never had Super Mario 64. Or Goldeneye. I have tons of other classics--Banjo, Mario Kart, Mario Party (one and two), Jet Force Gemini, Pokemon Stadium (one and two, even with the transfer packs), glover...just no Super Mario 64. Or Goldeneye.

I have no idea how this happens.
I've owned 3 copies of Goldeneye thus far, and they've all been quietly stolen from along the way. I haven't bothered getting a fourth copy yet because I no longer have anyone to really play it with.

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie? Now those are the platform games that deserve SM64's recognition. Fucking masterpieces.
Mirak
I had to play most popular n64 games in an emulator because i didn't own a console and the games i played in the rentals were multiplayer games like mario party and starfox
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Sunshine was a pretty fun Mario game when you look past some of the few, but glaring, terrible decisions made with the game. It's definitely the hardest 3D Mario game out there, both for legitimate and wrong reasons.

I didn't mind the different take on the style and the FLUDD mechanics were well-executed. The problem with the game is all the micro-management you do when you are not doing a straight run-through of the game.

This game somehow made the red coin hunts from SM64 even worse by putting you through awkward challenges that typically involved changing your control scheme to get them, and they didn't play very well. You also had the platforming segments without FLUDD that tended to be ball-crushingly hard and the wonky collision issues/platforming physics tend to hinder your progression even further.

I still like how more involved the HUB world was in this game compared to other 3D Mayros, though, and aside from the challenges that felt painful to play through, the other platforming challenges felt just right for me.
super mario 64, when you look at it through fresh eyes, is basically a tech demo for the n64 in the same niche as pilotwings 64. it's honestly pretty interesting to look at it under those standards, because most of the mechanics and level design are very 'hey, check it out, three-dimensional space!'

it's definitely sparse, though. I think the big thing that's kept it pretty well-remembered is that despite the tiny stages and sometimes fairly barebone objectives, running and jumping just feels really natural and fun
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
The thing that kills enjoying Mario 64 in the present day is the crummy camera controls and the fact that Mario is locked into moving relative to the current camera position instead of the player's input. You only really notice it in key places (such as coming out of the water onto the ramp in Dire Dire Docks), but once you realize it's there, it really ruins the game feel. Other than that, jumping out of the water and grabbing onto ledges is a chore that only becomes more evident the more refined controls in general become.
author=Mirak
I had to play most popular n64 games in an emulator because i didn't own a console and the games i played in the rentals were multiplayer games like mario party and starfox

Starfox 64 is like 90% single player and 10% multiplayer, though. Sometimes I play it with friends--which almost always entails taking turns in single player :P

author=Pizza
Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie? Now those are the platform games that deserve SM64's recognition. Fucking masterpieces.

The faithful still trust in Grunty's last words, and patiently wait for Banjo Threeie. I would buy an XBox One (or Zero, or negative one, or however Microsoft forgets how to count in new and exciting ways) just to play it.
Mirak
I haven't seen anybody give a bit of love to conker's bad furday so it might as well be me *shot*