WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

I'm not totally disagreeing with that. Once I saw the trailer for the remake that I noticed immediately that Barret was no longer a walking stereotype. They did him right so far as I can tell.
Kaliesto
Also the Japanese studios are poor liars because their reasoning is usually the same on "why and why" this was going to be changed when reality they are being influenced by today's trends. Even Nomura admitted he was going to change something because of today's society.

Frankly I've never quite understood the surprise surrounding creators changing their work to more closely align with the societal values of their target audience.

...like, is this not how our capitalist society operates on a base level, or what?

Being influenced by modern trends is not new in the world of art.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
The FF7 Remake going to be the largest, highest budget game ever made. Every decision being made for this game is not 'is this true to the source material?' or even 'will this give the player the best possible experience?" but 'will this sell more copies of the game?"

This is the top line item in every meeting about this game's production. All they care about is sales and that's all the motivates their every decision. "What do the shadowy SJWs think" isn't even in their top 100 things that they're worried about.

Please don't turn this argument into personal attacks.
I am all about New Barrett right now, honestly. making him more of a solid leader, and playing up Cloud's status as a young, cocky, largely-untested fighter by making him a little scrawnier, are both really strong decisions that say good things to me about their direction. I've never really been fond of how hard they've tried to make Cloud into a detached coolguy in most of the games since, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they're stepping away from that even given how much is hinging on this game's success.

I feel like I've said this all already, but at least it's something different to talk about.
My point was that changes should not be based on ridiculous decisions. That is all I was trying to say. For example the scene that was removed from FF6 concerning Celes was a scapegoat to a real world problem that has no relation to it. It also minorly ruin the impact you should have when it came to the empire.

I just don't wish to see anymore repeats of that nonsense decision making.

I apologize I got overly passionate with this whole discussion. With the stories I'm reading these days coming from businesses, and colleges that I often wonder just how far they reached in terms of influence.

what's important is to recognize that what seems ridiculous to you might be very significant from someone else's standpoint. experiences, backgrounds, and other circumstances change our perspectives, and it's not good to dismiss something out of hand just because you don't personally feel affected by it. the root of what bothers me with so much of this is the way people leap so quickly from 'this is a social criticism' to 'this person must feel offended' to 'this person's offense is ridiculous and unfounded, and deserves shame'.

I should apologize, too. I deal with a lot of this, so it's very easy for me to get my back up about this subject.
author=mawk
I should apologize, too.

That's a first. (confirmed)
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Now everybody hug.

Do it.
GROUP HUG!

(my cloud is ready)
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
This group hug brought to you by Slack.
The group-chat
for the chatty group.

EDIT: I'm thinking right now that I need to find out how to get back onto slack I lost my password.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Guys, I think I just figured out how to create awesome sounding fantasy names for your towns.

1) Take any household object.

2) Butcher the spelling.

3) Add whatever prefix, suffix, or addition to make it sound more like a town.

Bam. Perfect fantasy name. Let's give it a try:

Light bulb -> Bylbenvale.
Garbage Can -> Jerbagenvale.
Kitchen sink -> Kai'chan Seek: City of Cleansing.
Coffee -> Kaiyafei: The City that Never Sleeps.

What can you all come up with?
Suddha Fort: The Carbonated Stronghold

Kebourd: The Typed Democracy

Hm, that's not bad! Not bad at all...
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Waffle Iron -> Walfiryn
Rolling Pin -> Rolling Pines (just minor butchering for that one)
Stove -> Stoftown
Dish Rack --> Deescharck Keep

Also...*HUGS*
author=Link_2112
author=mawk
I should apologize, too.

not remotely.

e: also, how long have you been saving that incredibly petty and predictable line
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=mawk
author=Link_2112
author=mawk
I should apologize, too.
not remotely.

e: also, how long have you been saving that incredibly petty and predictable line

Probably as long as he was sitting on my "manchild" remark. Pheh.
ff7 drama

Say what you will, but if the shoe was in the other foot, people wouldn't be so complacent about this... I think the endless quips about "cis-straight-white-males" or "scantily-clad women" that exist out there, are a testament to the fact that people aren't so accepting of developers being able to make their own "independent choices" or whatever. And that stuff doesn't always stays in the realm of critical media analysis either. It forages well into the shaming of developers and their audiences too.

Likewise, think about this. What if Square released the game with an option to take out or include the things that people are objecting to? (whichever it i's the "default" state of the game doesn't matter) That would make for a sound business decision, wouldn't it? That way they could cater to the full spectrum of their audience at virtually no cost. Everyone would get to play the version of the game that they want to play, and be happy. Right? ...Yeah, I don't see that happening. There would be outrage. xD

To be fair, there's dumb people on all sides of the argument that gent bent out of shape over things that does not deserve that kind of reaction. And it's Ok to get upset at them. But I guess what I'm trying to say here is... let's not tear each other apart on their behalf? idk
_
Yes, yes, I know this subject had blown over already. But I wanted to pitch in. Sue me. ;p
The problem with making changes is this: They might remove someones favourite scene, which was a large part of the reason this person liked the game. Would said person still enjoy the remake? Probably not.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=SnowOwl
The problem with making changes is this: They might remove someones favourite scene, which was a large part of the reason this person liked the game. Would said person still enjoy the remake? Probably not.

My favorite scene was Tifa's tits.

author=alterego
ff7 drama
Say what you will, but if the shoe was in the other foot, people wouldn't be so complacent about this... I think the endless quips about "cis-straight-white-males" or "scantily-clad women" that exist out there, are a testament to the fact that people aren't so accepting of developers being able to make their own "independent choices" or whatever. And that stuff doesn't always stays in the realm of critical media analysis either. It forages well into the shaming of developers and their audiences too.

Likewise, think about this. What if Square released the game with an option to take out or include the things that people are objecting to? (whichever it i's the "default" state of the game doesn't matter) That would make for a sound business decision, wouldn't it? That way they could cater to the full spectrum of their audience at virtually no cost. Everyone would get to play the version of the game that they want to play, and be happy. Right? ...Yeah, I don't see that happening. There would be outrage. xD

To be fair, there's dumb people on all sides of the argument that gent bent out of shape over things that does not deserve that kind of reaction. And it's Ok to get upset at them. But I guess what I'm trying to say here is... let's not tear each other apart on their behalf? idk
_
Yes, yes, I know this subject had blown over already. But I wanted to pitch in. Sue me. ;p

They kind of did this with that one Halo re-release, but they made the mistake of making the token black guy less black.

@5:50
author=SnowOwl

Or they may improve the scenes OR make better scenes to replace them.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of the remake. We'll still have the original after all, but a whole new re-imagining is going to be awesome.