WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=LockeZ
author=Frogge
It still has a purpose, it's there to make your own game look good and stand out.
This is pure selfishness IMO. Your own game isn't any more important than anyone else's. By hoarding the game-making tools to yourself, you are making gaming as a whole worse, just for the sake of boosting your own ego and renown.

I'm on record as being one of RMN's most vocal people in the "game making is the fucking human instrumentality project" camp; your mileage may vary. I don't encourage anyone to steal resources without permission, but I'll argue to my last breath trying to convince people to give that permission.

How much custom stuff have you made, how much would you actually be willing to give away for free and is it at a level of quality that people would actually use it?
You have literally no moral obligation to freely distribute anything custom you make. It's up to the creator to descide the rights and use.

You aren't being selfish or ego centric. You're slaving away at something for days and weeks on end because you have passion. If you want to keep it for your own use that's damn well fine.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't mind if anyone reuses any of the maps, exposition or dialogue I made for any of my games. I also made several scripts, and some custom tilesets and character sprites, which I wouldn't mind if anyone used. Whether any of them are good enough to be worth using is for other people to decide.

(Edit: Inb4 someone reposts the screenshot of the first map of Iniquity and Vindication repurposed as a Sonic the Hedgehog stage with badly-placed yellow rings.)

I will agree, for the sake of living peacefully in this society, to let it be up to each creator to decide the rights of who can use their art. But morally I think anything that hinders the creation of art is really bad. I think creating art is probably more important than anything else humans do.
I remember years ago when Neverwinter Nights was a thing that content creators would make all sorts of tilesets, monsters, etc, but somewhere down the line it became from being community driven to "For the Glory Hogging". CEP was the answer for some of the problems (though it had it's drawbacks on technical issues), but in reality there a lot of High-Quality work that was never being shared, and being stuck to this day on PW worlds (Multiplayer Worlds). Want to see a badass looking Carrion Crawler? Too bad..we can't let the unwashed masses use our work, but you can enjoy the more crappy looking ones!

We also had problems of Content Creators forcing people to sit in one camp or the other, but didn't think of the possibility to merge their projects together in order to provide a better NWN experience. It baffles me those same people today are still stuck on that train of thought, but not realizing that this is what destroyed the community.

I always preach a Modding community fails when nobody wants to work together for a common goal which is providing what we make, and merge our works together instead of going against each other.

Just thinking about the NWN community leaves me a little sour because there was so much potential, but it was devolved into petty bickering.

This conversation kind of reminded me of it, but I can't say that NWN, and RMN are too similar as there is some differences.

Now I think about it I think it would be neat to see a Technical RMN tool that has a script auto-generator for any basic events since NWN had something like this. It would be good for beginners, and useful for advanced script Users looking to make some shortcuts.

By the way @ Hextona -

I've noticed the same thing with Video Game Remixers, and that does not seem to stop them either to sell their remixes on Bandcamp, and support through Patreon. I don't know how they even get away with that unless they're providing some kind of cut-deal with the original composer. At the same time though..I think the original composers may not really care about it since Video Game Music is not really a big mainstream seller, and probably never will be. Video Game Music seems to be in this really really strange area that I can't really describe.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
"script auto-generator"?

Uh, you mean... the basic RPG Maker interface other than the scripts? Or something else?
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=Kaliesto
Script auto-generator

>Sudo script-add random_
author=LockeZ
"script auto-generator"?

Uh, you mean... the basic RPG Maker interface other than the scripts? Or something else?

Well when I think about it..RMN scripting, and NWN scripting is probably not quite the same, but I think it's better for me to show than to tell -

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/lilac-souls-nwn-script-generator-v23

Let's say you wanted to save time for a door animation with special conditions without having to type it up. You could do it within seconds by setting the conditions with a few clicks provided by the program. That is the best way I could describe it.

===================================================================================

I'm seeing a lot of RMN Korean Spam on here..! All it needs is Soy Sauce!
LockeZ
So... it sounds like it's basically the same as eventing instead of scripting in RPG Maker.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
@LockeZ-Why would NOT sharing your resources make you selfish? Take a look at Ara Fell for example. It uses quite a few custom graphics other than refmap. But those aren't shared publicly. Why? Because they were made for that game, not for other people's usage. Does that mean BadLuck is selfish? I understand that giving them away is a nice act, but not giving them away shouldn't be considered selfish. Because if you made it for your own game in mind without thinking of sharing it would that really be selfish?
And returning to the idea of sharing, let's take a look at the steam game Hero and Daughter. All the character portraits that were used in the game are available for download for free. I find that to be a weird act, mainly because that art was drawn to match the characters of the game.
Kagura: Ah. Mame, it appears the gravitational pull of the black body is far to strong for us to reach the escape velocity.
Xoe: FUCK!!! AH FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK! Oh god I don't want to die!
Kagura: Well jesus neither do I! And I've only been around for a week.
Kloe: Think they will eat us?

Karin: It's highly unlikely dumbass! Even if it wasnt a joke.
Claire: Are you fucking kidding me Karin? How can you say that?!?!
Karin: Look why would a serial kiler leave any kind of paper trail...
Kloe: You think your an expert on serial killers Karin? Couldnt they delete it in a blink of an eye?

Karin: W-well no... Ah...b-but rainbowvein said she's dealt with wierdos in the past.
Karin: They wish to get a rise out of you, for you to react. It's fun for them.
Xoe: You think they are just having fun Karin..?
Karin: LMFAO. I have no fucking clue Xoe.

Claire: Uuuguuu my head hurts... Well it might be safer to sort of go with the joke at least...
Kagura: Well... Maybe if we just orbit around the black body??? Ah. Not really many other options...
Xoe: Could we safely assume it would require far to much effort on there part to seek us out?

Kloe: I feel we MIGHT be safe with that assumption, but it's impossible to know.
Kloe: You know, the greatest novel ever written is still waiting for us.
Karin: Oh fuck... That things scary...

Claire: Yeah if history repeats, and it does. More then likely the name of the novel is very misleading.
Xoe: Yeah I had to stop when I felt the adventure was starting...
Karin: Mhmmm... You see now that your 1080p bear suit was unable to sheild yourself from there radiation?
Xoe: Somehow I think the radiation caused you 4 to exist, actually.
Kloe: Well existance is grande! So much apprecaited Xoe!
Kagura: Thanks Xoe ^_^
Karin: Rahahahah XDXXDXDXD Thanks Xoe!!~!!
Claire: I feel apatheic towards living with the 4 of you.

Xoe: XDXDXDXDXDXD
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Oh cool! I'm in a narative!
And also Welcome Back Xoe, I haven't seen you in ages, I was starting to get worried!
I'm still worried. Or idk ah shiut.

Karin: Over-stimulation avenue is not viable local for your business Xoe. Much like the moon, the cost is to high to maintain, ethically.
Xoe: Well fuck me! Why didn't I think of that sooner!!!!
Karin: Yup. Can't save them but maybe you could safe her?

Kloe: Perhaps. If we do some soul manipulation here and there, maybe change her genetic structure too with some highly toxic radiation..?
Karin: Ahhh Wundabar!!!!! Truly the plan of a genius
Claire: hehe, heh. well she did say shes a programmer, therefore she must be my programmer. just gota somehow clean all that ice off her, start shoving moda down her throat too.
ect ect.

(all start laughing in unison)
LockeZ
I dunno man, I think I explained my viewpoint pretty thoroughly. It benefits only the creator's game and ignores the potential needs of other games. "They weren't shared publicly because the creator didn't plan to share them publicly" isn't a valid explanation, it's tautology.

If you don't think helping other people's games be better is particularly important then I don't have much of an argument. I think it's important though.
Open source FTW.

gim,y all;l ur base
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
So what you are saying is that if you make your own graphics you HAVE to share them? Because that makes no sense. It's like saying you have to share your homework with all the other students because if you don't you are being selfish.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
Resources made for 16 bit console RPGs were made only for those games, yet it doesn't stop most of us from using them in our hobby projects.

So, give them away or not, people who want will use them.

Cool of people who allow others to use their resources, but I understand people who don't. Both make sense for different reasons.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
URGH - Writers of Earth - have you no shame?

Do you know how many books I have just sorted through that follow this whole thing in the description?

"-Artsy Female Name- led a picture-perfect life — until -something-. But then, When a handsome stranger shows up, -Artsy Female Name- will find out -Something-"

Like, Jesus Christ, people. Twilight died eons ago. Let it go.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Hexatona
URGH - Writers of Earth - have you no shame?

Do you know how many books I have just sorted through that follow this whole thing in the description?

"-Artsy Female Name- led a picture-perfect life — until -something-. But then, When a handsome stranger shows up, -Artsy Female Name- will find out -something-"

Like, Jesus Christ, people. Twilight died eons ago. Let it go.

Crediting Twilight for this trope is laughable.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
You cannot tell me with a straight face that these books are not literally aping the formula outlined by Twilight.
LockeZ
Sharing your homework defeats the purpose of homework; its purpose is for each person to learn the material and prove that they've learned it. The homework itself has no intrinsic value, the value comes in the act of figuring out how to do it on your own, because the goal of doing homework is your own self-improvement.

Sharing your graphics fulfills the purpose of the graphics; their purpose is to allow art to be created. Art is intrinsically valuable, and cooperating to create it has no downside because the goal of making art is for the world to have more/better art.