WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

author=Sated
I heard one of the analysts, right before the US presidential debate, comment something like "I give this crowd about a 70/30 split. I think about 30% of viewers are watching tonight because they think the debate will help inform their vote, and the other 70% are just here for entertainment and want to watch the trainwreck." And I thought to myself, "Yep, that's me in the 70%."
You don't need a debate to look at America and see a trainwreck.

Besides for the election this year, it's not that bad.

How about that Brexit though?
It's my honest belief that if Trump wins, America won't have fair elections in 2020.

Nevermind Trump's intellectual and moral bankruptcy. The Republicans currently control the Senate and the House. If you give them the Presidency too, they'll have an unfettered ability to act out their fetish for "fighting vote fraud" which is just a thinly veiled means of obstructing the right to vote, particularly against minorities and the poor. Given the demographic shift of the US away from the dominance of blue collar white men and Evangelicals who make up their base, you can't really blame them.

Hillary's a repugnant person, but she's run-of-the-mill corruption. She'll be four more years of the new boss; same as the old boss. At least with her, there'll definitely be another chance in 2020.

And I hope people have enough good sense not to waste their vote on dipsticks Johnson and Stein, or some dopey "protest vote" nobody gives a shit about.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Yeah, in my opinion the Presidential race is almost like a distraction - the Congress is where all the bullshit happens.

You could have 60% of people voting for a democratic president yes still the senate will be like 70% republican somehow.

I don't know if that's the factror that everyone hates congress EXCEPT their own congressman, or gerrymandering, but god it just paralyzes the country,.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Housekeeping
Say what you want about Hillary's trustworthiness; if half of her policies get through, America would be infinitely better off than being under control of that moronic caricature of a billionaire.

For the first part of his campaign, I seriously thought Trump was just having a giggle with his money. It really just seemed like a joke that only a few people were in on. Then people like Red Pill Philosophy (now known as LifeLibertyNow because Trump) started sucking his wrinkly balls and I was forced to take him seriously.
author=Hexatona
Yeah, in my opinion the Presidential race is almost like a distraction - the Congress is where all the bullshit happens.

You could have 60% of people voting for a democratic president yes still the senate will be like 70% republican somehow.

I don't know if that's the factror that everyone hates congress EXCEPT their own congressman, or gerrymandering, but god it just paralyzes the country,.

Normally I'd agree, but with the Supreme Court hanging in the balance, this election season is vitally important.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Supreme Court - you mean that seat is still unfilled?
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
I don't understand half of these terms... um... president president blah blah president blah vote blah power! Yay!!! >.<
It's really confusing.

They should just vote Kenton for president even though he's canadian, just because that's simpler.
author=Hexatona
Supreme Court - you mean that seat is still unfilled?

That seat, in addition to the other seats that are likely to open up in the next 4-8 years. Those seats.

author=Kloe
I don't understand half of these terms... um... president president blah blah president blah vote blah power! Yay!!! >.<
It's really confusing.

Read up. I'd argue that it's your civic duty to do so.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Feldschlacht IV

Or it would be if she lived in America.
Kloe
author=pianotm
Feldschlacht IV

I'm not sure what civic duty is but from Piano's responce I'm gonna assume mine is to drink tea, so yay!
author=pianotm
Feldschlacht IV

Haha, yikes, I feel like a jerk! I could have sword she did, though! My bad.

This election has made me really on edge, especially with how little the electorate seems to know (or care) about the country but has strong opinions despite this. It's made me kinda knee jerky, so I apologize for being rude.
Kloe
Nah, it's okay!

author=Feldschlacht IV
I could have sword she did!

We shall engage in a sword fight to decide the trut- wait what?
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Canadians For President! (Except Kruz)
The house will be solid R for quite a bit longer, the next census and redistricting isn't until 2020. Plus that means winning on the state level since they're in charge of how the house representatives are broken up (and gerrymandered). A more liberal SCOTUS might be able to do something like giving teeth back to the Voting Rights Act but I'm not sure how it'd turn out.

There's the hope that this'll be a wave election that pushes the house blue but even then it'll only last until the midterms (along with the senate if it flips).
author=Sated
especially with how little the electorate seems to know (or care) about the country but has strong opinions despite this.
Literally every election ever, and also why democracy is awful.

Yes, but it's better than the alternatives.
author=Dyhalto
It's my honest belief that if Trump wins, America won't have fair elections in 2020.

Nevermind Trump's intellectual and moral bankruptcy. The Republicans currently control the Senate and the House. If you give them the Presidency too, they'll have an unfettered ability to act out their fetish for "fighting vote fraud" which is just a thinly veiled means of obstructing the right to vote, particularly against minorities and the poor. Given the demographic shift of the US away from the dominance of blue collar white men and Evangelicals who make up their base, you can't really blame them.

Hillary's a repugnant person, but she's run-of-the-mill corruption. She'll be four more years of the new boss; same as the old boss. At least with her, there'll definitely be another chance in 2020.

And I hope people have enough good sense not to waste their vote on dipsticks Johnson and Stein, or some dopey "protest vote" nobody gives a shit about.

Pretty much my same thoughts. But it's with very mixed emotions that I even consider the possibility of supporting her.

The DNC is a corrupt establishment - they actively steered the entire primary toward Hillary's nomination and that's basically irrefutable at this point. Whether or not Bernie "supports" Clinton as the lesser of two evils, the whole process was completely immoral. After her nomination, what does Hillary do to take responsibility and repudiate those claims? Absolute nothing - she hires Debbie Wassermann not even two weeks after she resigns. Business-as-usual corruption, indeed.

We're now forced to choose between incredibly watered-down version of Bernie's progressivism via Hillary's campaign, or a crazed and narcissistic Billionaire who is devoid of any morality or higher purpose. It's pretty depressing. Is the woman who pretends to have our best interests at heart actually any better than the alternative?
author=Blindmind
Is the woman who pretends to have our best interests at heart actually any better than the alternative?

In this case? Yes. Especially with the Supreme Court in play? Mega yes.

I have no romantic notions of the whole thing; I have no shame in saying that a run of the mill politician who is beholden to her party is much better than the incompetent billionaire.

Hillary Clinton is mad shady, yo. But the whole narrative of 'she's ultra corrupt and will actively burn down America to get what she wants' is a bit tiring. Whether she genuinely cares about the causes she represents isn't as relevant as whether or not she'll actually enact them, and political maneuvering aside, her long, long record as a politician shows that she's more or less consistent with that in the long term. The idea that she's rubbing her hands together willing to sell out America to the highest bidder is juvenile. Yes, she's shady, but not much more so than the average politician and that's why it's up to us to keep her to task.

People who haven't been paying attention to politics seem to think that Clinton just started her political career, but she was Secretary of State, and before that a Senator. She did well enough in those positions for me feel comfortable that she'd make a decent President.

It's a real shame that the 30 year Republican campaign to make her out to be Literally Satan is working on my otherwise intelligent peers.

author=Blind
We're now forced to choose between incredibly watered-down version of Bernie's progressivism

They have a more or less 90% political overlap.
They have a more or less 90% political overlap.
Do they really? I'd have to read up on that more but I'm pretty sure you're mistaken.

If they do, then great - but even so, it reads as a bit spineless. Not because of sexist/gender reasons etc., but because it infers she doesn't really stand for anything. She's held no moral compass, no obligation to the greater good, no overall consistency - and certainly no fear of the DNC holding her accountable. She changes her song and dance for whoever will fill up her pockets. But as you said, politics-as-usual, right?

The fact is, she's supported some pretty awful ideas in the past; she worked alongside a politician who voted against the Civil Rights Act, she supports mega-corporations, Wall-Street banks, corrupt industries such as Monsanto and BioAgriculture/Pharmaceuticals etc. She openly opposed gay marriage until as recently as two years ago. I can even agree with Trump that she's been an outright liar in regards to the TPP - she voted for the Bill's passing well over ten times, and now claims to oppose it. Something about that isn't quite right...

I'll probably end up voting for her in the end; but I also don't think she should get a free pass simply because of her opponent.

author=Mog
Whether she genuinely cares about the causes she represents isn't as relevant as whether or not she'll actually enact them, and political maneuvering aside, her long, long record as a politician shows that she's more or less consistent with that in the long term. The idea that she's rubbing her hands together willing to sell out America to the highest bidder is juvenile. Yes, she's shady, but not much more so than the average politician and that's why it's up to us to keep her to task.
I don't blame Hillary for the entirety of the what went down in the primary, but it's pretty obvious she was complicit with it. That alone says quite a lot.

In my point of view, it's not about her "burning down America" as the Republican rhetoric often goes...it's making sure does indeed stick to her promises and push her "progressive" agenda. Believe me, that's all I want too - I don't need to like her as a human being per se.

But yeah, I agree with you overall. Hillary at least will answer to public outcry if she deviates too far from her promises, so it will be up to the educated public to hold her feet to the fire.