WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Keep the event ideas rolling!

So on the cards soon is a review event, and we'll be having the 10 hour birthday, but what we've got for that so far is 10 hours for gammak, so ideas are welcome.

There's also a resource-making event that's being considered, though it still needs a bit of timeline work.

Halloween is already reserved (as usual) but some time before then would be dandy for another gammak event.

A NES-type event is a nice idea. Give people a chance to get the taste of McBJ outta their mouths first, though, so that we don't burn everyone out with too many gammak events.
I think even more interesting would be a Gameboy-style game: low resolution, only four shades of gray (or green or I suppose whatever color you choose). I've done some demos with those limitations, and it tends to be really fun to do art that way.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
FlyingJester
I think even more interesting would be a Gameboy-style game: low resolution, only four shades of gray (or green or I suppose whatever color you choose). I've done some demos with those limitations, and it tends to be really fun to do art that way.

You see, the problem with events like this is that they're limited in the variety of people they will attract. That seems almost like it should be a private jam one might personally host on some place like itch.io.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I wish there was a way we could encourage people to try and get away a bit from using premade graphics and make the jump into creating their own original sets, but i agree it's difficult in a site like this because the use of rpgmaker is crippling to this purpose.

Rpg maker has such a bigass barrier to entry when it comes to making graphics for it and it's only getting harder with newer versions. The amount of resources you need to make so that you can achieve even one decent map with custom graphics is intense to say the least, even moreso when people are accustomed to the beautiful non-pixel art rtp maps and feel discouraged when they cannot achieve the same quality on the first few test runs, add to this the fact that many people here have never touched a graphic program, or done anything artistic gam mak oriented, and you're loading them with the task of learning how to use one PLUS learning to draw PLUS learning pixel art to let them start going somewhere. It takes dedication that a simple event won't gather.

I've found that making charsets is one of the only things people will consciously try to do themselves when the character builder integrated in engines like Ace don't suffice, but most people won't even try this, even when there's a base provided, because pixelling hair is not as easy as it looks.
Isn't it funny that "There is no need to worry that I misunderstand what it is you are saying. Indeed, I understand quite well what manner it is you speak of." means the same thing as "Nah, I getcha."

I find that weird.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a reason we encourage all game engines on the site. The first games hosted weren't RM games at all. Really, people just make an assumption based on the name of the site. It's more like we host RPGs over most other kinds of games, which I guess are easier to make in an engine dedicated to that genre than in other engines.

It made me a bit sad that only those who were going to use other makers anyway signed up to the non-RM event, though. We'll very likely have another on in the future, but this time might include some RM-clone-type engines for those who want to make RPGs. Just, you know, say no to RPG Maker engines.

Hell, we should have an RM95 gammak at some people. The engine has a lot of interesting features, and the RTP that comes with it can be used to make NES-type games, the battle system is reminiscent of Dragon Warrior games and it has in-built mouse support... among other things.
Mirak
I don't remember the reason i joined this site. I don't like making rpg's at all. This is why i only got one game up in here, because i made it for the sole event that kind of opened the "if you don't make rpg's that's fine" opportunity for me. (I think i remember i joined because of the community. lmao) EDIT: OHHH i remember now, there was that smbx contest the other month. That was fun too.

Like, i know a few events we've had have also SORT OF given the green light to "not rpg" games but when you're the only one not making an rpg in a mostly rpg-focused crowd you stand out, and not in a good way.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Anyone knows if Ratty still frequents the site? Or has he left?

EDIT: Also where is Sated's low scored review of Pom Gets Wi-fi? I'm sure i was reading it yesterday and now it's gone. EDIT2: It was deleted. I wonder who deleted it though. And why. It's probably one of those mysteries that i will never know the answer for. Oh well.
author=Mirak
I don't remember the reason i joined this site. I don't like making rpg's at all. This is why i only got one game up in here, because i made it for the sole event that kind of opened the "if you don't make rpg's that's fine" opportunity for me....Like, i know a few events we've had have also SORT OF given the green light to "not rpg" games but when you're the only one not making an rpg in a mostly rpg-focused crowd you stand out, and not in a good way.

Erm, this month's stats are out now, and out of the top 25 downloaded games, only 8 or so can actually be described as RPGs. So...

author=Liberty
We'll very likely have another on in the future, but this time might include some RM-clone-type engines for those who want to make RPGs.

OHRRPGCE, here we go! Just discovered this one exists, and there's certainly fun to be had with it. (Also, to dovetail with my earlier point, it seems like most games created for it are not RPGs either.)
author=Mirak
Anyone knows if Ratty still frequents the site? Or has he left?

EDIT: Also where is Sated's low scored review of Pom Gets Wi-fi? I'm sure i was reading it yesterday and now it's gone. EDIT2: It was deleted. I wonder who deleted it though. And why. It's probably one of those mysteries that i will never know the answer for. Oh well.

Ratty left a while ago. He updates his game on twitter a lot, apparently, so if you want to get in contact with him, that's the most likely place (look for Roden as his nick).
I'm an ill idiot. >.<;

Reviews and games sometimes get removed for various reasons. Sometimes it's done by the creator, sometimes it's done by the staff as part of cleaning up. I've had to retro-actively remove a few games in the past as they ended up either not complying by site rules (having inappropriate content or going back and editing out fixes as a passive-aggressive 'fuck you' to the rules) or just turning out to be not up to our standards/having major issues/developer being an idiot over things (think Konstandin, where they broke the rules repeatedly).

In the case of that review in question, it wasn't really a review at all (since it didn't really talk about what the game was like, just pointed out how it shouldn't have won x or y category because of whatever reasons). Honestly, it was one of those cases where something got through that shouldn't have and in retrospect, got removed. Everyone makes mistakes now and then, so it's to be expected that we double-check back sometimes and go "How'd I miss that one?"

:shrug:
Mirak
What? Ratty and pizza/Roden are the same person?? I mean i should have guessed if that is truly the case but still surprising.

I just wanted them to change me from "developer" to "other(participant)" in the smbx event. ;_;

Edit: Oh and thanks for the heads up for the review thing. Transparency is cool beans.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
author=Mirak
What? Ratty and pizza/Roden are the same person?? I mean i should have guessed if that is truly the case but still surprising.

I'm pretty sure not, I think Libby just confused Ratty (rat is a rodent) and Roden (who's name sounds like rodent and used to be Pizza)
Ugh, that's what I get for answering shit when brain is full of illness. Sorry about that. XD

orz

I think Ratty touches back here now and then, but not often. Pizza left completely.
Roden actually recently deleted his Twitter account (or hidden it) and has taken down all of his games on here too, including Songs From Aelsea. (His reviews and other stuff are still up, though.) I don’t know exactly what happened to him or why he took down his account and all, but it really is a shame.

And as for Ratty, I’m guessing he’s either taking a break from here, lurking around these days, or just has finally decided to call it quits and move on to something else...which also sucks, but it is his decision to do whatever he wants.

author=Mirak
I don't remember the reason i joined this site. I don't like making rpg's at all. This is why i only got one game up in here, because i made it for the sole event that kind of opened the "if you don't make rpg's that's fine" opportunity for me.

Like, i know a few events we've had have also SORT OF given the green light to "not rpg" games but when you're the only one not making an rpg in a mostly rpg-focused crowd you stand out, and not in a good way.

So what? I don’t tend to make RPG’s on here either, and I don’t really care... If anything, making something that isn’t an RPG does give you a bit of an advantage here, as your game tends to stand out a bit more to a more diverse crowd and it shows that you, as a developer, are more than capable of making more than just one type of genre. I mean, for a lot of players and reviewers like myself, RPG’s can definitely take a lot more time to finish and complete compared to any other type of genre here, which makes something that isn’t an RPG a bit more desirable to play in most cases. For example, for certain review events with a limited time frame, I tend to like to stick to playing something that’s either a shorter RPG (about 5 to 8 hours or so) or something else that’s a bit more unique and more suited to my taste. And besides, RPG’s tend to take WAAAY longer to design and complete compared to something else like making a puzzle game or whatever, so it’s probably best to avoid making an RPG for some developers here because of how long that they take to make.

Either way, it’s good to have more developers like you around here, Mirak. It’s nice to see more than just RPG’s on a site like this. Hell, some of the best games that I’ve played and reviewed on here recently were NOT RPG’s, like April Was A Fool and Super Talking Time Bros. 2.5 - The Last Levels to name a few. So continue to uphold the good fight and make whatever you feel like making, regardless about what other people think or feel on here.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
i mean is anybody actually being mean or unthoughtful to mirak about not making rpg maker games? your post sounds so dreary... i guess you're the opposite though, breaking rm* to make your own stuff for the past decade. to each their own ;V

what am i thinking about? everything in my head currently goes into the gam mak thinking and watcha playing topics so idk. oh, i still think we should combine all those "what are you working on" and screenshot threads into one in the gam mak forum but w/e, i've been saying that for years ;V

edit: or be WIP and nuke them in favor of blog/screenshot/article page in place of it
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Mirak
Exactly one third of our featured games are not RPGs. I think you're nuts.

Now, if you try to make a first person shooter it'll probably stand out in a bad way. Most of our non-RPGs are either adventure games, horror games, dating sims, or platformers, and almost all of them are 2D. The crowd that likes RPG Maker tends to also like other types of games with exploration, with plot, and with old-school graphics. (I did help make a shooter game though. But it's Pokemon-themed and 2D.)

author=Craze
i still think we should combine all those "what are you working on" and screenshot threads into one in the gam mak forum but w/e, i've been saying that for years ;V
We used to only have two of them and then you made the third one!
Craze
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Feld's is even more inexcusable. Every post in both of them could've been in either this thread or the screenshot topic.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
this needs to be settled in a deathmatch
Craze
esby we've

we've done that before though
ESBY
extreme disappointment
shao kahn would be disappointed that you both still live