WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Visitor that animation reminds me of Dumbland. And Happy Tree Friends.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
You know what really bums me out? Over the years, I've seen games that I thought were going to be so cool and I waited patiently for them to come out, only for them to be put on indefinite hiatus or straight up cancelled. Not even expansion packs to games that were already completed got released, so it's not like they didn't already have enough game to prove themselves capable of more content.

Why is it always the games I'm looking for that wind up getting this treatment? Then when I look back on them years later, I've improved so much that those games are no longer worth waiting for because I could literally just run circles around them myself.

Then it's the games that I'm not excited about that get completed, frequent updates/patches, expansion packs and digital shops to buy fanmade memorabilia and shit.
Thoroughly unsurprised to hear that some dolts have started setting their own shoes on fire over a Nike ad with Kaepernick in it.

I have to ask though, since I'm unsure: How does the dichotomy of "You live in the land of the free and can protest/speak out against injustice" and "Not standing for the anthem is treason" work out?

Also, since a lot of people seem to be using soldiers as a "gotcha" on that ad (Even Patt Tillman, which is excellent since it underscores their complete lack of understanding of the world): Can soldiers kneel during the anthem? Who's allowed to protest? We need INFO, people!!!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I suppose it all depends on what sort of injustice you're protesting. Students performing a walk-out which stunts their educational development and also harms the teachers whose job it is to teach and likely drove across the city to do so isn't a good means of protesting.

I went to a baseball game while on a mission trip in Pflugerville and they were paying respects for first responders and those who lost their lives not only in the line of duty but through illnesses and vehicle accidents (killed by a drunk driver). Hearing "Taps" performed live is much different than hearing it played as a joke on Spongebob.

I think the same thing applies to the national anthem; it shouldn't be a celebration of patriotism and pride in the country but as a sort of funeral dirge. In a way, standing for the national anthem is the greatest way to speak out against injustice as the song itself bleeds injustice and strife. Granted, there's almost a religious sense to this which I honestly can't say I appreciate because it goes on to paint a picture of overcoming and faith in the future (stand to pray to your country). There's a framed poster in the bathroom of the church I'm not currently attending that tries to inject America into Scripture (which is wrong), and if I ever get the chance to go back, I'd like to bring that to their attention.

Anyway, if the reason behind the protest is to try and unite the country and let it know that you're hurting, then you really should stand. Let everyone else hurt with you, but keep your heart open to change. If the reason behind the protest is to say "I hate what's happening to me by others", then the protest has no right to be held because there's no actionable goal, only division.
So is your idea of protest just to do what everyone else is doing and just... not? Cause that's sort of what it sounds like. I'm not sure what that would accomplish as a counter point to people making themselves heard through direct, noticeable action.

I mean, if Kaepernick had of never knelt for the anthem, nobody would ever know that he wanted to protest against police violence. If the students of Stoneman Douglas never walked out and marched then their tragedy would have been swept away like all the other school shootings. Maybe they haven't accomplished their goals 100% yet, but their voices reached that mass audience because they took the steps to make themselves heard, which is kind of the entire point of protesting.

I don't buy into the idea that the point of these or other protests is to intentionally cause division. That division may happen, but as an effect of the issue being brought to the public stage, not as a deliberate outcome of the protest.
Corfaisus
author=Roden
I mean, if Kaepernick had of never knelt for the anthem, nobody would ever know that he wanted to protest against police violence.

Good on him for wanting to make himself known as the guy who protested police violence.

author=Roden
If the students of Stoneman Douglas never walked out and marched then their tragedy would have been swept away like all the other school shootings.

The tragedies keep on coming.

With no action taking place, it's just kids getting a free pass to leave class. A fellow student was the voice of reason telling them that the only reason they were out that day was to get out of class.

Knowing that division "may happen" should be a reason not to perform an action that's meant to highlight injustice between different peoples. In the modern age, people could just make a hashtag or a video and share it around on Facebook. It gets the point across- actually, it sort of doesn't because people have tried that before and it led to nothing. I don't know, maybe protesting just makes the protesters look like idiots who want to be heroes with no idea how or capability to follow through. Start discourse in a public forum and let your popularity do the rest. Get some airtime with Larry King.

"What's the likely result of my action?" "How does this affect my cause?"

If the likely result is that people get upset with you and this in turn makes your cause look adversarial to the common citizen, then there's no good reason to follow through with it. Politics is rife with people trying to protest, but it's only making them look like "whiners" (can you believe Russian collusion in the 2016 election is still being discussed even today?) and giving the narrative of "dividing the nation between this and that" more credibility. What this and that are depends on the situation, but the most common seems to be "white" and "black" America, which is why there's such a strong blowback against the "race card" and why it's become an automatic "lose" parameter in this RTS society wants to play. You really might as well just open by calling your opponent a "Nazi" and call it a day.

So who can say what the lasting effect will be on this matter, but the immediate response is pretty heartbreaking.

Of course, people choosing to destroy their property could instead donate their unwanted gear to causes in need. But that would defeat their purpose of, umm. Well, they really just seem determined to burn their stuff.

You know who would love Nike shoes and shirts? Homeless people who've been wearing the same shirt for the past 3 years.

To put this all in perspective, I've been forced to deal with people who won't even so much as open their mouths for the sake of improving the situation that sees multiple people taking advantage of the good intentions of others. I've tried to open my mouth but have been met with silence. I've actually gone out there and spoken up, so I think I'm justified in feeling just a little bit disappointed.

But there's always weird shit online to cheer me up.
(can you believe Russian collusion in the 2016 election is still being discussed even today?)

Yes, since it was and is a huge problem in America and beyond. The same thing is going on with the Midterms, the same sort of thing is going down in other countries like Sweden and Germany as well. Continuing to dismiss it as some "sore loser" thing is only gonna wind up hurting more people in the end, since you're giving a dictatorial regime free pass to influence the rest of the world to suit them personally.

And I mean to be fair, I probably wouldn't want to go to class either if I felt like there was a danger of being fucking shot. What onus do you have to feel at risk doing normal, every day things just because your government refuses to even consider fixing a problem?

I can't get on with your insistence that any action that causes division isn't worth taking. That's a self defeating argument. If we lived on that principle nothing would ever get done anywhere.

EDIT:

As an aside, please don't punch down on amateurish/"cringey" art. That's a low blow, a low blow that reinforces the idea that instant skill is the only way to get good at something or express yourself.
(can you believe Russian collusion in the 2016 election is still being discussed even today?)

Absolutely. This is a serious issue. You know that it's only 2018 right? This issue will be discussed and dissected for decades.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
please stop engaging corf
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=ESBY

too late
corf engaged
battle mode activated
initiating esby terminating sequence
Corfaisus
author=ESBY
author=ESBY
is this some QAnon shit

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm just over here being part of the 90% of the community that has no business making games.

author=Roden
As an aside, please don't punch down on amateurish/"cringey" art. That's a low blow, a low blow that reinforces the idea that instant skill is the only way to get good at something or express yourself.

Dude, at least I'm not being shitty to their face. They don't even know I'm talking here so it really doesn't affect them in any way, and unless you go out of your way to tell them about it (making you the one to negatively affect them), it'll never get to them. I know people who play that game and, frankly, they're better off alone. I'm not reinforcing anything, especially something that argues that "instant skill" and "get good" can share the same space.

Besides, I'm overly certain they know their limitations. Google image background? Check. Copy-paste details (grass)? Check. This says nothing about how the characters are drawn but the absolute lack of attention to detail that went into establishing the setting. You can be a shit tier artist (we all start there; some of us end there, too) as long as you're trying. You can't copy-paste hand drawn stuff, yet you can throw any old messy line into a program and distort and rotate it until it's perfect. If you aren't trying, people have every right to voice their disgust at your lack of artistic discipline.

I've seen RPG Maker games that are exactly the same. Rips for nostalgia while copy-pasting scripts to mask the godawful battle system. Mashing enter for the first 3 hours, then finally reaching a point where I had to use one item right before the final strike so one of my troops wouldn't miss out on EXP for being dead. The characters are one-dimensional and the story is nonexistent. I sank nearly 6 hours into a game and had next to nothing to show for it but disappointment. This from a veteran of the community.

Don't target the default layer of the boss or they'll counter attack. Press down then mash enter on the other layer to win.
Instead of coming up with reasons to shit on amateur artists/devs and "prove" that they "aren't trying", try this:

"Being supportive, helpful, and welcoming of new creators"
“Old angry white guys are not a core demographic for Nike.”

lol

Saw this on an article about Nike and the laughable #NikeBoycott tag on Twitter.
Owning the Libs by burning brand name products you spent lots of money on
author=Cap_H
Visitor that animation reminds me of Dumbland. And Happy Tree Friends.

Dumbland is so fucking good!
I am thinking aloud about how Nike, through various subsidiaries, manufactures 99.5% of seat belts. Just... thinking aloud. That's all! What people do with that knowledge is not my responsibility!

(I actually don't know if popehat is correct on this but it's funny)
So, apparently Amazon just hit 1 Trillion dollars in worth?

https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff-bezos-owns-five-massive-homes-across-the-united-states-2017-10#manhattan-7

Fun time to remember that Jeffy B owns 5 castles across the US, while hundreds upon hundreds of people can't afford healthcare, food, rent, etc.

"Capitalism is the best system!!!!!"
Corfaisus
This is an outrage! I'm never buying their corn muffins again!

Speaking of corn muffins:

After playing a bit of Dragon Quest 11 and thinking about the series as a whole. I realized it's basically impossible to play the series in a consistent localization. You have the first 4 Dragon "Warrior" games with their straight laced localization (along with the GBC remakes up to 3 where some words and stuff are shortened). You have the fan translated SNES rom localizations (that probably have their own set of nuances) or you can use the heavily accented DS remakes that has the more standardized spell names. Then you go back to Dragon "Warrior" 7 or the 3DS edition (pick ur poison basically). Then you can finally move on to Dragon Quest 8 which the Square Enix localization team got their start on standardizing spell names and a bit of the accents (mainly in VA). Then you move back to Dragon Quest 9 when the localization team have retained their "standards" from the DS remakes (that came after 8), then can't play 10 at all. Until finally 11 where it seems the balance of taking liberty and being accurate seems to balance out.

Regardless of your preferences it's sadly very inconsistent to muddle through.

Yes I've been thinking about this while trying to get to sleep.
the trick is to have started at the very beginning with getting the Dragon Warrior pack with a new subscription to Nintendo Power, like I did.