WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Hah. That thecatamites post seems like a newer, texty version of Space Funeral. The joke is the same, anyway. I like our small community, but I do think it's funny and good to be able to take the piss once in a while ^^

I definitely do have miss parts of being an active forum member, lots of discussions, long posts. Plus there's that weird nostalgia for arguing and debating back and forth and doubling down on every design opinion like someone had offended me personally. That said, I think a lot is because it all happened during my easily-influenced and overly-romanticized teenage years.

I like a lot the larger en masse indie scene has brought to us, but I do miss little niche corners of the internet, and remembering and befriending (or be-rivaling) individual posters on a message board. It reminds me of those old days in an MMO where there'd only be a couple hundred people on a server and you'd make log on and see the same people every day.

I wonder if there's a way to recreate that, in the age of reddit and twitter and just-so-dang-many-people?
I think the only thing that comes close is Discord groups maybe? But even then that has a very high frequency of "I can't keep up with this world anymore..." since there are so many groups starting and dying. Ragnarok Online private servers was probably the most close-knit it ever got for me when it comes to logging on to see every day personalities.

I think it's getting harder to approach people online as an adult these days. Way less naive way easier to keep to yourself and own methods. Now online I kind of view as potentially socially awkward as any face to face irl situation. It feels like "Growing up on the internet" is different nowadays too that social media has blended more with irl nowadays. I'm kind of surprised young people still have an interest in RM though, there's probably a group just waiting to socialize at some point in the future. It's just there isn't just one phenomenon tying it together anymore (FF7 in oldschool rm's case).

Happyvania!
It's... kinda throwing me for a loop brainwise of Castlevania music that also sounds like half of something I'd hear on the radio. Also that album art is incredible.
author=GreatRedSpirit

Happyvania!
It's... kinda throwing me for a loop brainwise of Castlevania music that also sounds like half of something I'd hear on the radio. Also that album art is incredible.

I feel like I'm having a stroke when I listen to this

amazing 10/10
author=slash
Hah. That thecatamites post seems like a newer, texty version of Space Funeral. The joke is the same, anyway. I like our small community, but I do think it's funny and good to be able to take the piss once in a while ^^

I definitely do have miss parts of being an active forum member, lots of discussions, long posts. Plus there's that weird nostalgia for arguing and debating back and forth and doubling down on every design opinion like someone had offended me personally. That said, I think a lot is because it all happened during my easily-influenced and overly-romanticized teenage years.

I like a lot the larger en masse indie scene has brought to us, but I do miss little niche corners of the internet, and remembering and befriending (or be-rivaling) individual posters on a message board. It reminds me of those old days in an MMO where there'd only be a couple hundred people on a server and you'd make log on and see the same people every day.

I wonder if there's a way to recreate that, in the age of reddit and twitter and just-so-dang-many-people?

Honestly, I am feeling the need for that, and i think there are still places like that around. Is why I like popping back in.
There are also some discord groups that are like that. Just a tiny group of kindred spirits in some sort of way, it's like a little family.

I hope they will exist, and I think they will. it is just such a nice feeling

Edit: Happyvania IS AWESOME
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
omg that happyvania is amazing
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
the names of the tracks jfc
author=Mirak
the names of the tracks jfc

Yes.
it makes me so happy for no good reason, I love it
I found the painting =)
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Let's have some real talk here.
I think I will leave RM (and probably all gammak ambitions) next year. I would like to finish some stuff first. Just to have this chapter of my life closed. But is it really worth it? This feels like an important year for me and there are so many other things to focus on. I should focus on school, my art projects, my writing, becoming independent, friends and girls more than on gams. I can't really abandon the sentimental feelings I got for games and gammak and my former dreams of working in the industry. I keep returning to it and to my projects.
What do you think is the best path here?

Also, I don't plan on leaving rmn, just gammak.
Hey man, I tore up my goals of working in the indie scene after I had my dreams and chances pissed on right out of the college gates- college for gamedev, mind you. Lotsa money injected into that fire.

If I can maintain my passion for the things I want to make, I think you can to. It's a time and priority thing, not a giving up thing.
Yeah I dunno, you don't have to cut out gamedev completely. Sometimes its fine to just dedicate a bit of your day to something even if it isn't contributing as much as a full weekend. I've been through so many different phases of activity/inactivity to count that I don't really think much of it, or bother declaring it. That's just me though.
Yeah, same. I'm just as invested in gamedev as I ever was, but since my digital art is so much more rewarding and profitable I spend most of my time making that. I maybe work on games once or twice a week, but its just as gratifying- and who knows, if you put one out and it does well then you might work on it even more.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yeah, time being an issue is something I could easily overcome. My issue is that I'm not sure this is my passion anymore. I do many creative activities and this is only one of them and honestly, they can't go all in different directions and I don't see a way to chain them.
My games are dark or melancholic power fantasies about ethics.
My writing is all over the place but mostly focused on everyday reality of working class.
My art projects are strictly analogue and so far I've been avoiding digital painting, 3d modeling and such. I just don't want to spend more time on computer.

So, the thing for me is to decide, where to focus with my creative energy as I don't have enough anymore. I can't let go drawing and painting entirely and writing is something i'm somehow good at (in my language).

But I get your points. I think I'll try to continue and to actually focus more on gammak in following months and take a real break (break in ambitions) afterwards.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Cap, you can do what I do, and work on a game approximately 5 minutes a day

I'm trying to figure out if this lady I met last weekend fancies me or is just super friendly. You would think at the age of 26 I'd have figured this stuff out by now, but NOPE
protip: you never have it figured out

Source: dude, trust me.
People who act like they have it all figured out are either wrong or just faking it.
I have it figured out. I am not wrong. I am not faking it. Whatever kentona does, do the opposite. You will receive all the babes and all the hunks. You will receive all the profits and you will finish your games.
That makes sense, actually. Where is anti-Canada?
Anything that actually exists and is not a myth.