IF YOUR GAME HAS THESE WORDS IN ITS TITLE, IT'S A BIG RED FLAG

Pages: first 123456 next last
If your game has these words in its title, it's a big red flag that it probably sucks:

Final
Fantasy
Dragon
Quest
Warrior
Sword
Legend
Adventure
Light
Dark(ness)
Demon
God(dess)
Destiny
Crystal(s)
Saga
Hero
Rune
Legacy
Spirit
Chrono
Time
Conquest
Any DBZ, Naruto, or Bleach related jargon (power level, burst limit, zanpaktou, Sharingan, etc)
Revenge
Ultimate
Eternal

If your game has these words in its title, it's a yellow flag. Proceed with caution.

Any title of nobility
Any land or fief designation referring to a title of nobility
Forgotten
Knight
Wing(s)
Lunar
Angel(ic)
Dream
Mana
Fire
Element
Moon
(x) of (y) - Three words in this format are your game's title.

(And yeah, I'm guilty of having a yellow flag game)
I'll play Alter Aila Genesis, you play Dragon Spirit Legacy. :)
I'll play Alter Aila Genesis, you play Dragon Spirit Legacy. :)
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
You're forgetting "Using 'The' as the first word of the title".
author=Deckiller
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_judge_a_book_by_its_cover

if it's an rpg maker game... yeah I probably will. think the point he's trying to make that more thought should be put in the titles, it's part of the whole marketing thing when you have so many rpg maker games about fantasy and quests. hey remember that game something chronicles? it had a guy fighting dragons in it.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=iishenron
(And yeah, I'm guilty of having a yellow flag game)

And a red one, AND a DBZ related username.

So what was the point of this topic?

See also: Hero's Realm.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
(Noun) of (land).
Story.
Tale.

Possible yellow flags. My first game is noun of land :)
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Best rpgs we know of : Sunst over Imdhal, A blurred line, Nigsek : A monster's tail, then again, The Blue Contestant, Three The Hard Way, The Mirror Lied, Fey : you'll have to admit...
Solitayre: And my old game with the red flag in its title sucks. Like most games that break the rule. That's the point.

If I didn't know anything about the games in this community, I'd skip right over Hero's Realm because of the name.
rabitZ
amusing tassadar, your taste in companionship grows ever more inexplicable
So if my game is called Legacy of the Final Dragon Spirit, that's a flag of what color? :)
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=iishenron
If I didn't know anything about the games in this community, I'd skip right over Hero's Realm because of the name.

Then you'd be missing out on one of the community's best games, which I think was Deckiller's point.

Hell, Hero's Realm is all RTP and FF rips, it has every red flag you can imagine. It's still a great game and I don't think anyone could argue it isn't.
chana
To be totally frank, so could I.

Edit : well, maybe it's a great game, but, as my tastes go, it's not a fun game.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
iish posts this every few years for kicks.

Personally, though, like... I agree with the topic. A lame title is a huge turn-off for me, and I also tend to dislike "TRYING TO B TEH OLDSCHOOLZ" games... NES games weren't actually that great, guys.

Except Crystalis. Crystalis is good.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Quite frankly I can't believe I've never had a game with one of these titles besides that crummy FF8 fangame from way back when.

However, there are games that are good with these sorts of titles...somewhere. In RM* it's generally only newbies who use such titling and it becomes very obvious. I'm sure a developer of a higher calibre who used such a title could still make an excellent game.
chana
I think beyond a certain level of genuine talent put into the game, the title tends to be itself original (as in origin), singular and you won't find that type of words in them.

I tend to stay away from names that have those kind of titles, and i take a while to think of a name... unfortunately i ended up with "Tales of Ether" so i think Tales is probably another yellow flag or something..
I was thinkiing of making a game called "The Eternal Flame"...I guess I'll scrap it... *Cries in the corner*
Pages: first 123456 next last