DEUS EX STYLE SOCIAL INTERACTIONS IN RPG MAKER

Pages: 1
To be honest I don't know if this thread belongs in here or the help thread...
The purpose of this thread is to discuss how one could achieve Deus Ex style social interactions. I am testing this in RPG maker 2003. I don't know if this works in the more recent version.

Well to be more specific, I've only played Human Revolution, and so I don't know if it applies to the previous games, so I'm really talking about Deus Ex Human Revolution style social Interactions. For those of you who didn't play that game I suppose you could look it up on youtube. It's basically a kind of persuasion system to get information or to cause certain things to happen. Actually here's a nice example, for those playing this game be warned of spoilers this is one that is much more late in the game. I chose it because it shows one that matters between life and death. Here.

My attempt at this is to work with variables for persuasion levels(look at a youtube video for DXHR with the CASIE aug). It all works out in theory, making different choices subtract or add in the values of a variable. To be honest I think I'm having a tough time explaining it words so I'll give you a little attempt at it. It's something I conjured up in about an hour or so.
Test
Try playtesting that. What I also want you to do is to look at the events and maybe fiddle around with them. See if you can spot any flaws or even better methods. Share your insights.
I didn't look at any of the references you provided(no time), but I did think about doing this before.

The plan was to use different maps.

Make multiple copies of towns and have the teleporting events check the variables and send you to the corresponding town. I mean, you either have to put endless branches/pages in events or make copies of the events with unique messages(or use call events xD then you clutter up the database). I figure it might be easier to manage with different copies of maps. So you'd have to finalize the towns, make the standard NPC's, then make copies where they all start hating you/liking you/whatever else. With some branching within them, of course.

I never attempted this at all yet, but that's just one theory.
I don't see how this is different from choosing an option, alter the variables, and check for conditional branches later. In RM2003, you'll need a lot of patience and many variables if you want to apply this to every NPC.
author=hima
I don't see how this is different from choosing an option, alter the variables, and check for conditional branches later. In RM2003, you'll need a lot of patience and many variables if you want to apply this to every NPC.
Well yes the little test example I provided was quite sloppy and a bit of a rough draft more. And no I don't need this to apply all NPCs, so I really don't need too many variables. In Deus Ex there were only some Key sequences when this kind of encounter happened. I might have maybe 10. The purpose of this, well in deus ex, was to gain extra experience(there was no grinding), extra information, and a more mental feeling as being more part of it (simple word choices make diffences). It was a nice and fun aspect that I would simply like to recreate. I plan on going a little further and having it affect the story as a whole and maybe even branch out.

And Link, by making more maps, are you basically trying to save variables and switches? Cuz what you seem to be talking about is more morality. For that I figured you'd have a morality variable, and different actions would raise or lower the value of that variable and you'd basically have multiple Even pages depending on the value of the variable. Now the thing with multiple maps is that one can change the maps to be more barren/rich depending on choice much like In Fable 2 when you choose who to give the arrest warrants to as a child. (give em to the thug and the towns gone rotten, give em to the guard and the town's gone beautiful)
author=link
I figure it might be easier to manage with different copies of maps. So you'd have to finalize the towns, make the standard NPC's, then make copies where they all start hating you/liking you/whatever else. With some branching within them, of course.

are you joking? like im not seeing it, unless this is completely different from the OP's system.
The original Deus Ex is pretty much my favorite gaming experience ever, so naturally I've tried to shoehorn some DE elements into just about every game I've made. The conversation battles from HR are no exception to this.

These "conversation battles" are easy to boil down to basic principles. The characters have an approach that they are weak too. Reason here, press here, get defensive here, refocus here and you win. Think of the enemy's resolve against whatever you are trying to convince them to do/tell you as a number, like hp. Using the right approach reduces that number. Using the PERFECT approach reduces it even more. Screwing up either doesn't change it, or adds to it. This way you can get a couple of wrong choices, but still pull it off if you pick up a couple of perfect answers.

I find it easier to manage npc reactions to the player via event pages. Have a variable for each alterable NPC's opinion of the player. Make multiple copies of the event page with the different opinion thresholds as the trigger, and put whatever content you want in the events.
author=Darken
author=link
I figure it might be easier to manage with different copies of maps. So you'd have to finalize the towns, make the standard NPC's, then make copies where they all start hating you/liking you/whatever else. With some branching within them, of course.
are you joking? like im not seeing it, unless this is completely different from the OP's system.

Yeah, I'll admit, I just skimmed over the OP(and I stated I didn't look at the links) and don't know anything about Deus Ex xD So it probably is completely different. Was just throwing in a random thought on something far more complicated and pointless than is really needed.
Pages: 1