GOING COMMERCIAL?

I read this piece today:

Why Do Developers Give Away Their Games For Free?

I know some people make games as a hobby, and some do as a job. But seeing all these people who originally made games for free starting to make commercial games (Terry Cavanagh's VVVVVV would be another example) made me wonder: how many people who make games for free would start making them for money, given the chance?

-Do you make games for money?
-Given the chance, would you work on commercial games?
-Do you aspire to make games for money one day?
-Why would you NOT make games for money?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
My life's goal is to sell out
- No
- Yes
- Maybe
- If they ask me to adapt Twilight... or something like that.
kentona
I am tired of Earth. These people. I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives.
Nope!

Yep!

that will always be the dream

time/effort/lack of skill
That's the plan upon release.

Might be if we end up passing the barriers to success.

Trying to.

Because I won the lottery.
Ah, this is an interesting question indeed. But the thing we all know about is resources and credit. Those are probably the only two things that bind us from making games commercial. The problem is, if a game IS going to be commercial it has to be by your own hand, which comes at a heavy cost time wise because you need to make it look the worth, as well as the game itself.

Me personally, I don't make games for money, but I rather make them for the personal experience as well as a learning curve. When I feel I've developed enough to make good story-lines / zones and custom art worth paying for, then I'll consider it. I've seen people selling games with worse quality than games that are made for free. Again, this falls back down to resources.

If you can make a game with everything custom or done by your own development team, that is commercial material. You won't see a similar style / game with its resources like that around anywhere, and if you do, you can take legal action because it is your copyright.

Don't get me wrong though, if I was given the chance to be part of a commercially developed game, I would take up the offer as a Storyline writer / character creator and mapper. It really depends on what type of game we're talking about here. In RPG Maker terms, Enterbrain even said themselves you can sell RPG Maker games for money provided that nothing you sell is of enterbrain's material.

The only real reason I would NOT make games for money is because again, of quality, you can never be too certain about that, especially these days with so many types of gamers out there.

Overall, it really depends on what your intentions are in terms of how far you're going to take it in terms of a game developer, some do it as a hobby, but they prefer to maintain it at that, some don't like selling because it may hinder their development skills or simply strip away the fun from making games, while others see it as a career and reap at any moment to find some way to make profit from their game.

It really just depends if you're ready to journey into the marketing side of things in terms of your hobby.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
-Not videogames. Not yet.
-Like...other people's? Like a big studio or something? I don't see that happening. But if you mean selling my own, then yes, assuming that I ever produce something complete, legally sellable, and worth selling. I mean I'm not saying that I turned them down, just that I literally can't imagine being hired at this point.
-Already do, but if you mean videogames then yes, I aspire like a motherfucker.
-Because I am seriously afraid of my rep/controversy/enemies hamstringing my business endeavor before it gets off the ground. And because finding enough public domain/original/non-stolen resources to make a game is fucking hard.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
-Yes

-Absolutely yes, although I'd probably like a small team, and admittedly I'm a bit of a control freak so I'd have to work with people who are on the same wavelength

-Yes, even moreso than I do now

-I make games not for money now, although they're usually just game jam games or school projects, or just little fun things I throw together. They can help raise people's awareness of you (this guy makes GAMES?), they can be experimental pieces that you use for a commercial product in the future, and obviously I just love making games so fucking much
Wow, really? Am I the only one who makes games just as a hobby and would not go commercial under any circumstances?
kentona
I am tired of Earth. These people. I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives.
I'm not going to lie - I am in need of money. (people, send me money plz)
author=calunio
Wow, really? Am I the only one who makes games just as a hobby and would not go commercial under any circumstances?

Well I never said I would be freely WILLING to go in, it just depends on your circumstances. If you were offered a place in a development in which you excel, then who wouldn't? Like I said, it depends on how far you want to take it as in terms of your career or hobby.
-nope

-i would love to

-it'd be nice but i'm not banking on it

-I wouldn't make games for money if they weren't something I believed in
author=Essenceblade
If you were offered a place in a development in which you excel, then who wouldn't?

Me.

I'm surprised that making games is everybody's dream job.
author=calunio

I'll never ever try to go commercial. I have too many reasons to list, but just take a look at what's out there now (in the RM market). The free games you find here are much better.
author=calunio

I'm pretty much the same, my reason for not caring about money is not making my hobby into a job.

Once people start paying you then you have to start worrying about some imaginary super high quality that you're never going to actually reach and making sure you make something people will actually buy instead of making something you enjoyed making and playing.

And of course there will be people who will hate you more just because you're making 5$ off a game and they think that your game selling for even $1 should be a crime punishable by death.

Nope

Nope

Nope

Can't be bothered to learn to program properly and I am clearly too lazy.

Now what about if I have a career but make games as a hobby then decide to sell them? Does that count as making games for a living? Think of it as something to be done on the side as a way to earning little income.

Making games is far from being my dream job unless I had some exceptional programming skills. Getting the graphics and sound effects don't really bother me because I could just make mobile games and those require pixel art rather than high resolution graphics. Besides there are plenty of open source websites that let you download free sound effects, I'm sure I could find some free music on the internet too.

I'm probably more likely to make games for money if I knew how to use GameMaker and was really good at it.
Ronove
More like Misao Stealing Prince

No, but I tried once with a buddy; it was really stressful however and the project fell through hard.

It'd be nice! But I want to focus on making it in my vision and not worrying about the money making part until I can get into a groove of making games. Right now it's not in a good groove to make a commercial game.

Not really. It's a hobby for me and I find when money gets added in, if you're not prepared, it's a lot more stress to deal with. I have other things I want to do than to make games for money.

^ See above.
Do you make games for money?
Not yet.

Given the chance, would you work on commercial games?
I might write for someone else's project if paid fairly for my work, but I probably won't be asked to.
Big industry stuff with deadlines and supervisors and shit, nope. Won't touch with a pole.

Do you aspire to make games for money one day?
Yes and no. My income comes from elsewhere, so I don't intend to use it as a means of elevating my standard of living. But I would like it if the games I headed adn sold were able to afford my contracted/commissioned artists a full-time occupation.

Why would you NOT make games for money?
Because I'm an artist and I need an outlet. If there's a conscious afterlife, only knowledge of what I did comes with me. I won't submit myself to dissatisfaction or mediocrity for mere money.

The way I look at it, going commercial enables me to make better games faster because I can use revenue to pay my artists/musicians/spriters/etc. It's more of an expansion on my hobby rather than some form of 'selling out'.
But otherwise, yeah, you are.
I make games so I can play the kind of games I want to play, and so other people who like these kind of games can play them too. Game design will always stay a hobby for me for the sake of common sense:

Selling games as an amateur is not a steady source of income. Retail values and sales won't ever come close to these of the worst professional games.

The only chance of any amateur releasing games for a living is to gather a team and develop online, multiplayer games, work on it 40 hours a week, read lots of documentation on game design and marketing, add members-only material worth its cost, etc.
It's a full-time job. Unlike a hobby it is most of the time stressful, frustrating and exhausting. And it is a lot less about "talent" and "quality game design" than most people might think.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
And of course there will be people who will hate you more just because you're making 5$ off a game and they think that your game selling for even $1 should be a crime punishable by death.

This.