GAME DESIGN FORUM SECTION

Pages: 1
I really think RMN needs a new way to organize stuff in the Game Demos & Design section of the forum. The way it is now is completely cluttered with no way to separate demo and game topic from discussion on game design and such. I'm not suggesting anything near as drastic as what GW was suggesting, but it really needs to be organized better as its currently a mess.
This is one of the things that will be addressed in RMN v3.

Last I've heard, the plan was to integrate a mini-forum with each game. Then there would be an aggregate main forum that would show the most recently updated topics within the mini-forums.

The game forum we have now would then be specifically for design discussion, I gather.
I do agree with Immortal in some sense, but I've also always considered RMN's basic setup to be appropriately proportional to it's member-base. Now that we're finally moving closer toward serious expansion, a change may indeed be in order.
I know you probably hear this all the time, but I'm new so bear with me. When do you think RMN v3 will be completed?
YDS
member of the bull moose party
A lot sooner than a certain other site.

To be honest, I don't know for sure, but from what I estimate, a few more months? Someone check on that.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I think it's fine the way it is, the community as it is right now isn't big enough, and what they were suggesting wasn't that wrong at all. Maybe when the community gets bigger something like this can be done.
author=Tau link=topic=1023.msg14395#msg14395 date=1209965005
I think it's fine the way it is, the community as it is right now isn't big enough, and what they were suggesting wasn't that wrong at all. Maybe when the community gets bigger something like this can be done.

For one of the people advocating that everyone drop the whole GW thing, the comment I bolded above had no place in this topic at all as it had nothing to do with my question and really just comes off like you're trying to start something. Seriously, I mentioned GW in passing, it wasn't meant to be addressed.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I didn't really mean anything by it but whatever ;). The rest still stands though, I think the community isn't big enough for something like that yet though.
It has been growing though. Especially recently. But yeah, from the sounds of it this is going to be addressed in RMN v3. So yeah, a mod can lock this if they want. I was really only waiting to hear from WIP when v3 was planned to be out.
But rmv2 only came out like 3 or 4 months ago. Isn't it a bit soon to be creating a whole new thing again. But i guess that if the amount of members increases then it could prove to be very useful.

As for the game and demo i do agree that it can get cluttered at times. My suggestion would be to have a demo and full game section for all the gaming topics and then have the rest for game and design discussions. Mostly what immortal said.
It is most likely not going to be done that way, demondestiny.

The games section is going to be a much more involved part of the site in v3.
Until recently, there wasn't enough activity to warrant splitting Game Demo & Design.

RMNv2 was released (and a little rushed) in time for the Misaos. A lot of the features we wanted weren't ready for that release. We (and by We I mean WIP) began work on RMNv3 immediately after v2.

RMNv3 will be ready when it's ready.

In the meantime, I will bring up the issue of splitting GD&D in the secret mod hideout.
author=demondestiny link=topic=1023.msg14446#msg14446 date=1209985960
But rmv2 only came out like 3 or 4 months ago. Isn't it a bit soon to be creating a whole new thing again. But i guess that if the amount of members increases then it could prove to be very useful.

Well the original RMN was in the works for literally MORE THAN FIVE YEARS and it was the biggest, longest-running and lamest joke in the #mr2k IRC channel for years. I think WIP is iterating so frequently in order to make up for taking so long to finish it in the first place (I think it turned out splendidly).
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
author=brandonabley link=topic=1023.msg14491#msg14491 date=1210003430
Well the original RMN was in the works for literally MORE THAN FIVE YEARS and it was the biggest, longest-running and lamest joke in the #mr2k IRC channel for years. I think WIP is iterating so frequently in order to make up for taking so long to finish it in the first place (I think it turned out splendidly).

For the record, it was only four years, almost to the day!

Also, we actually released the site several times (2 PHP based sites, 2 CMS based sites, one really bad Python version and then RMN v1). Two of them even lasted for four months! However, we were always in private beta and we'd always change back to Python to accomodate WIP. He'd get going really hard and then, in a flash, his mind would jump from RMN to, like, FFVI fangames or ika paint tools or something and we would be hosed.

However, he's pretty focused now and I am proud of his accomplishment. For my next goal I want to teach WIP diplomacy and tact. Wish me luck.
Pages: 1