+++ DYNRPG - THE RM2K3 PLUGIN SDK +++

I want to update my preexisting MessageExtender2c (that'll make it 2d, I guess) to add functionality. Mainly, I think there are \w, \x, \y, and \z left. I would want an update to w (make it like the others, case insensitive) to check for mapID (apparently I missed this with the last update, and it's pretty important, since I have like a "You are in (ThisVillage)" thing and it doesn't work without millions of lines).
The other three, I dunno. \x could be Attribute names, \y could be picture id or filename (not sure the diff, really, I can just imagine asking someone what a painting is and having them call it Starry Night), \z could be the same for music (they have this stuff in the DynRpg classes but I can't really test it because it STILL crashes). Alot of this stuff is over my head, and I'm probably missing something obvious that it can display way easier. So x, y, z are kinda open since I don't really have an idea what to display the name of. Maybe z could do something (similar to c and s) instead of displaying?
Update alert! DynDataAccess has been expanded with a large number of new comment commands contributed by DJC. They give access to normally-hidden data about actors, the current battle, database troops, items, enemies, the current map, skills, and terrain. Check it out and download the new version if it looks like something you'd find handy. Special thanks to DJC for his contribution.
The thread (Release) RPGSS v0.9.5
was closed, I think that could be interesting to talk only about that.
The web link with the download and comments below isn't the same.
You can talk about it just fine. Just don't make a page to advertise utilities that have their own util page. Take about it here, where we're already talking about plugins.
Yea i'm sorry about that, I'm new to the forums so made a release thread the same time as submitting the RPGSS utility for download. I should've asked if this was alright beforehand so I apologise for that, Liberty closed the thread & made me aware of the forum rules :)
Do we have "hide 0 MP" plugin? Like if a command doesn't cost anything, just put "Magic Missile" instead of "Magic Missile 0".

It seems like we can do that for the VX stuff.
I just recently added dynRPG for menu clock and now the battling is slower. I know one of the features is monster skill names being displayed longer but its really slowing the gameplay. Is there a way to turn that off? (so that monster skills doesn't slow the game too much)
author=OmegaMagnus11DA
I just recently added dynRPG for menu clock and now the battling is slower. I know one of the features is monster skill names being displayed longer but its really slowing the gameplay. Is there a way to turn that off? (so that monster skills doesn't slow the game too much)

Hmmm, I haven't updated this plugin on the site in several years (v4.1) but I apparently have a "4.2" version but have no recollection of doing. It refactors a couple things that may or may not affect performance. Try this version and let me know if it helps:
https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/40/locker/game_clock.dll

Otherwise, what are your PC specs? Are you using only that plugin right now, or do you have other plugins that might be the cause? Keep in mind RM2k3 is very old and DynRPG is like duct taping a bunch of stuff to it.
I'm working on a plugin to override a game's database values with .csv files, so that you can use spreadsheet magic in tweaking your game balance, change enemy stats mid-game for different difficulty levels, etc. In order to reset things to a baseline whenever the player goes back to the main menu and starts a new game/loads a saved game, I need to keep a record of what the database looked like before the plugin started altering things. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to simply make copies of the database objects in DynRPG...but the rules and guidelines for DynRPG say that instantiating new instances of objects in the RPG class is a no-no. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience or insight about why this is and if it might be safe to skirt it by making new instances for read-only purposes? I wouldn't need to actually use the extra instances except to occasionally copy their values back to the original objects, but I can see how there might be something in the instantiation process itself that throws DynRPG off.
Update alert: DynBattleChoices has been updated with a bugfix. Before, the game would crash if a battler does one action which targets a party position greater than the number of battlers on the non-targeted side, then does another action which targets all of that side (i.e., an actor attacks enemy 5, then does a heal-all skill on their own party). Now...well, it doesn't crash, as you'd probably expect. Thanks to DJC for the bug report which led to this fix.
I have to check if it is present in my project, so I replace it with this version.
author=AubreyTheBard
I'm working on a plugin to override a game's database values with .csv files, so that you can use spreadsheet magic in tweaking your game balance, change enemy stats mid-game for different difficulty levels, etc. In order to reset things to a baseline whenever the player goes back to the main menu and starts a new game/loads a saved game, I need to keep a record of what the database looked like before the plugin started altering things. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to simply make copies of the database objects in DynRPG...but the rules and guidelines for DynRPG say that instantiating new instances of objects in the RPG class is a no-no. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience or insight about why this is and if it might be safe to skirt it by making new instances for read-only purposes? I wouldn't need to actually use the extra instances except to occasionally copy their values back to the original objects, but I can see how there might be something in the instantiation process itself that throws DynRPG off.

I think this is because you might get memory leak. I think the idea is that you might get the .dyn file made to handle such events clogged with various internal codes and get overstuffed or something...

FileControl that I made had .txt files made, so it may be okay to make non-internal objects (that is, stuff that you can actually look at and delete objects from such as a text file or a chart file (.csv)) provide you can strictly manage what gets created. Tbh, filecontrol has limited success at managing what's created, on an unsaved file, you can sometimes trigger the same code on line after line despite a switch getting turned on because the switch hasn't been saved.

KazString on the other hand uses objects internal to the dyn stuff, and it is much much harder to know how that information is doing since it cannot be checked easily. Of the two, I think something like FileControl is alot less against the rules but maybe I'm wrong. The point is, any objects set aside should probably not be leaky, and should be easily accessible.

Also, who is still making DynRPG stuff? It seems to have hit a slump in terms of popularity. I have no idea how to configure my CodeBlocks properly. I follow the directions as best I can, and somehow get a long list of errors.
I'm still working on the above-mentioned plugin, primarily on Sunday afternoons when I have nothing better to do at my parents' house -- when I'm at my own place I dedicate what little time I have for game dev to a Unity project. My modus operandus for making DynRPG plugins is to figure out I need something for my own game, then make a plugin that addresses it but can be used generally and release it for others. I don't have any plans for more plugins after this one, but who knows.

I decided to solve the problem above by generating external files to hold the baseline data, BTW.
Aubrey, if you do have time and/or energy, I have a definite request.

-Fix RPS+ (or convince Bugmenot to).

Currently, RPS+ is a patch that basically allows specific skills to ignore reflect and be able to be evaded with the Evade status. It also can set a minimum for attacks that are not 0% (immune) attribute or negative% (healing) attribute, making defense stop reducing damage past a certain point. And it can display "Immune" (not essential, but helpful) for 0% attribute.

But as I tested out by removing stuff until it happened, it seems that this error is caused by this. If you can make replacement patch or plugin, I would be really really grateful. Something that allows a minimum damage for anything that isn't immune or absorb, and something that bypasses reflect (the evade part is good but I don't need).
Yeah, it's a shame that that patch doesn't work 100%. It would've REALLY added more to my own game (not that it needed it...it's already feature creep central...). But if I make another game with 2k3, that'd be so nice to have around. >_<
Sorry, changing the built-in combat system's internal workings is definitely outside DynRPG's capabilities, and I don't have the know-how for or the interest to get involved in patch-making.
#MootPointTime

Without any patches, I developed a custom item menu. Xenomic, if you want to use the patch, this might be something to look into, coming up with your own item system.

Here's what I did.
  • I converted Item to a Link to Event type. Since I have the Link To Event Bugfix plugin, this worked without a hitch. But this means of course that the Item is blank until events are added, since Link to Event has no default behavior
  • So I added a common event, if the party member uses Item
  • Aside from making a big custom menu, I decided the simplest method for me was to make a choice of four items inside this common event.
  • Since this alone wouldn't cut it, I made a party menu style event in addition to "equip" four events.
  • I'm pretty sure someone could also make a skill-based "item" menu.
DynRPG desperately needs to be compatible with the Steam version of RM2K3 because as far as I know, we only have the Maniac Patch as an alternative means to expand the features on that engine, unless anyone can provide a link to a larger BattleCharSet and CharSet patch?
author=Seraphic
DynRPG desperately needs to be compatible with the Steam version of RM2K3 because as far as I know, we only have the Maniac Patch as an alternative means to expand the features on that engine, unless anyone can provide a link to a larger BattleCharSet and CharSet patch?

Is this planned? Accordingly to the license agreement, mods are fully allowed. The only thing stopping me from using the legal version is that my game relies on DynRPG patches.