[OVER][CONTEST] DYNRPG PLUGIN PROGRAMMING CONTEST - WIN AMAZON GIFT CARDS! - NEW: PATHFINDING PLUGIN SUBMITTED!

Pages: first 1234 next last
EDIT: This contest is now (finally) closed! Vote here: https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/24987/

Hello, everybody!

The first question will probably be: "What is DynRPG?" - A RM2k3 Plugin SDK. Presentation here: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/10254/
Okay, great, now that this is settled, I'll tell you what this is all about:

DynRPG should be
a) promoted
b) tested
c) "equipped" with useful plugins

To give C++ programmers a small incentive, I'll now start this contest!
It's a try. I have no idea whether I even find enough plugin programmers for this...

Goal
Goal of this contest is to create a DynRPG plugin which is as useful as possible. It doesn't need to be too complex - most important is that many RM2k3 users think it's useful for them. Of course the source code should be published too. The latter should be sufficiently documented so that it can help other beginners to understand how to use DynRPG. Plus, the Rules and Guidelines should be paid attention to.

Timeframe
The timeframe isn't completely certain yet. We start with one month. If there are problems (maybe you find critical bugs which I have to fix first), we can extend the timeframe, of course.

Special: Cross-forum contest!
Yes, you read right. This contest is held in three forums:
- RMN (EN): http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/10255/
- Multimediaxis (DE): http://www.multimediaxis.de/threads/134260
- Oniromancie (FR): http://www.rpg-maker.fr/index.php?page=forum&id=19912

I will copy the submissions into the other forums.

Rules
- Everyone who knows C++ is invited to participate.
- Asking questions (of any kind) is welcome.
- The language of the source code, its comments and the documentation has to be English.
- "Copying" from other participants is also welcome, as long as the result won't be exactly the same.
- So: If you creates something, the best thing is to post it here without waiting for the end of the time! Of course you can also directly create a presentation thread (after telling me here).
- At the end of the contest there will be a public poll in all three forums at which the usefulness and usability will be rated. I will also reserve a last word regarding sticking to the guidlines and optimization of the code for myself. The poll is going to be open for one week. Additionally, there will be votes of six jurors (two per forum) (who should test the plugins more thoroughly), in case I find ones. Jurors, put your hands up!

Prizes
You can win:
1. Prize: € 20 / $ 25 Amazon Gift Card
2. Prize: € 15 / $ 20 Amazon Gift Card
3. Prize: € 5 / $ 7 Amazon Gift Card

Additionally, all participants will be mentioned in the next version of the documentation as "testers and plugin pioneers". If you have a website, I will also link to it.

I hope to get a lot of participation and as a result a lot of use for all RM2k3 users!

Best regards,
Cherry
Hand up as juror or as competitor?

If you mean "as juror": Great, I will pick the jurors later. If there are many, I might revise my "2 per forum" idea and increase it. I just want to get the same number from each forum.
Sorry for double post. Delete this.
Man I'd like to join but I only know the basics of C++ and I've never made a plugin before so I don't even know what or how I would go about it.
For those who don't know where to start making the plugin, I'll put the link here since it's pretty obscure on the website :
http://rpg-maker.cherrytree.at/dynrpg/getting_started.html
Does DynRPG work with CodeBlocks compiler? That is the one I use when it comes to C/C++ and so far I am most familiar with.
Code::Blocks is an IDE as far as I know. I don't know which compiler you are using (in the "background"), but GCC is preferred. I do know that it doesn't work with MSVC++, and it certainly works with GCC - that's because

a) Different ASM syntax of different compilers
b) Other differences in optimization, memory layout, exception handling, etc. between compilers

This is important because the SDK works on a very "low level", directly interfacing with Delphi classes and methods, etc., where stuff like this matters.
Sorry I meant IDE not compiler...

I'm also pretty sure Code blocks uses GCC as it's compiler.
Yes, no problem then.

There was an update, please download and patch again! See http://rpg-maker.cherrytree.at/dynrpg/changelog.html (there was also a small bug fixed)

I also added some info to the getting started section.
I'll download the SDK this weekend and see what I can do. I've recently moved on from RM2K/3, but it was your patches that kept me going for so long. And finally I have the chance to give something back.

...right now I'm thinking something along the lines of mode 7.
Mode 7 is probably not easily possible at the moment because you currently cannot access the map tiles, so you don't know what tiles the map contains. There is also no "drawTile" function or anything like that.

You can access the events, though, and use some custom way to draw them.
author=Cherry
Mode 7 is probably not easily possible at the moment because you currently cannot access the map tiles, so you don't know what tiles the map contains. There is also no "drawTile" function or anything like that.

Is there a way I can make a server and client plug-in? But make it peer to peer, I think it is possible if I include the relevant header files right?
So problem. You could even transmit the movements of the players and automatically move them on the other computer... or you could create an Online Battle System using the default battle system... Where ATB values are synced and actions of the users are transmitted to the other computer (and there executed as "enemy" actions).
author=Cherry

I was thinking of doing it through picture scaling rather than tiles. It might not be feasible to make an entire game this way but it's something that might be worth fiddling around with.
oh... yes, that's certainly possible. You could even use some event number #1, set to "below hero" (so that it's the first event to draw), use it to draw your Mode7 background and then the other events - drawn in a scaled and moved way.
If you can't access map tiles, is it possible to do a pixel-based movement plugin? Can you still find out a tile's passable properties & terrain?
No, but you can test for a particular event or the hero whether it is able to move from position A to position B or not. This includes event layer settings, "phasing mode", "forbid event overlap", other events on the target tile and of course the tile properties.

(By the way, whenever I say "no" it means "not yet".)
If I get to do what I want to do by now for my own project, I'll post it here (by now are just controlling stuff like the ATBMode and the ATB bar speed, and managing window properties by configuration -yeah, I don't like autofullscreen ahahaha-).

Hope to see lots of plugins then! It will be fun! And useful for other users,
Orochii Zouveleki
For ATB Stuff, take a look at RPG::System::atbMode and RPG::Battler::atbValue as well as RPG::battleSpeed. You will also need the callbacks onNewGame, onLoadGame and onSaveGame, probably.

For Windows properties it's harder, since the SDK doesn't provide a way to prevent the default behavior, but I will tell you a trick later, when I am at home. For now, look at RPG::Screen and google for the WinAPI function keybd_event.
Pages: first 1234 next last