FAVORITE RPG STORY AND WHY?

Pages: first 1234 next last

Title says it all.

Well, except that I would have you try to ignore some of your total gaming experience ( gameplay, balancing, graphics, etc) and focus specifically on the story.

Character personality/development/interactions can be included in story/writing. Personally, I rate this higher than the overarching story most of the time.

Okay, go.

rabitZ
amusing tassadar, your taste in companionship grows ever more inexplicable
Okay, I like RPG stories where one of the main characters has to make a great sacrifice for good, and in the end isn't necessarily rewarded with great riches and untold power for it. (Funny, I can't really think of any specific example right now, I could bet there was at least one game I played where this happened).

Sometimes, heroes give up a lot of themselves and get nothing more than a pat in the back and the feeling that, at least, they did the right thing. Still, they may end up not winning the girl or the crown to the kingdom. Such is life, and some of the greatest RPG stories are those where you can see this and are left pondering.

EDIT: Some Fire Emblem games have memorable stories. Especially the middle ones. Tactics Ogre also comes to mind. Final Fantasy Tactics, if you see it from the perspective of Delita (though he is not a traditional "hero").
Dhux's Scar, definitely.

It's just too clever and full of the craziest plot twists ever and cosmological stuff.

hrmm... this is a tough one. I really liked the story in FFVI, but it is hard to separate the story from the experience I had with the game. I also played it when I was an impressionable youth (because everyone knows, games that were made when you were coincidentally 13~16 were the best games ever made).

But in any event, I thought that the characters were moving and the plot fantastic and the villain exceptional.

More recently, I played Disgaea on the DS, and the characters and plot and just the overall ludicrousness of the story really struck a cord with me.
I haven't really played a lot of rpg's so my answers are really cliche, ff6,7 and 9 all had great stories. I remember another game I played that was good too but I don't remember it's name. It was kinda like zelda but you leveled up like final fantasy.
I have a hard time coming up with a favourite story. There's just so many aspects that affect it. For example I remember being completely blown away by the story in Deus Ex when I played it. With its twists and turns and on the whole lovely setting. Of course when I see youtube clips of that now all I can see is the bad voice acting and the awkward animations.

But it was really cool when I played it.

Another one I have great memories of is Planescape Torment, however I never finished that game and to be honest I have only got very vague recollections of the game. It's more specific moments that are really great...

And that's where the problem lies, there's so many games with those wonderful, wonderful story moments.

One game with overall great writing but also schitzofrenic writing is one of my all-time favourites Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines. That game had so many of those great moments. (And probably more of them that I never saw) But overall it may have suffered a bit because it went from one extreme to the other in such short timespans. I remember being scared out of my mind in some underground cavern only to end up in a carneval-like environment filled with puns and other bad jokes to then be thrown into a pure action-sequence that had one or two really creepy audio logs.

But as stories goes it was still pretty brilliant.

I guess I'll go Vampire Bloodlines for my favourite RPG story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ovLsFhd-EM
I loved Golden Sun 1 and 2. Hated the 3rd.

Loved The Way.

Breath of Fire 3 was pretty epic too.
Persona 3 and 4 (I've tried to choose between the two before and failed.) I just really like the atmosphere and art style in both of them (both the character designs and just the designs of everything in general. It's hard as hell, most of the time for all the right reasons (I really like the general MegaTen style of when you get an advantage, you REALLY get an advantage, but it also works the other way around.) It has some great characters (4 especially) and music, and is geniunely funny when it tries to be. 3 also has one of the most tragic endings I've ever seen in a video game.

As for western RPGs, I'd probably have to say Baldur's Gate 2 (sadly, I haven't really played a lot of non-RPG Maker western RPGs, so my experience is limited to the Baldur's Gate series, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 and 2 and a shitty game called Soulbringer.)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Restricting myself to commerical RPGs? Probably Vagrant Story, on the basis of the quality of the writing alone. Although the vastness and depth of the Elder Scrolls lore still draws me like a moth to a flame, and I think the quality of the writing and acting in those games is constantly improving, which is a treat to watch happen over time.

Deus Ex is a really solid choice too. And if you want to go vintage, of course I'm partial to the story of the SNES Shadowrun, although the ending is a bit disappointing.
Can't pick only one, since two recent RPG games really stuck to my mind.

Folklore
This game's story was hard to grasp at the beginning, but at the end when all the things made sense, I was like "WOAH, this is awesome!". Especially liked the truth about one of the main characters.

Nier
Deep, awesome story with great cast. Rarely can a game bring a tear(s) to my eye. The past (and fate) of the kickass girl, the story of a loving father and his "sick" daughter, the "true" overarching story... Loved this game's story so much. Watched all the other endings on youtube, and all of them were.... well, I overuse the word, but they WERE awesome.
author=Max McGee
Restricting myself to commerical RPGs? Probably Vagrant Story, on the basis of the quality of the writing alone.

Vagrant Story had another thing going for its story: great directing.

Btw, you don't have to limit yourself to commercial RPGs.
Wizardry 7 because you are dropped on an unknown planet and the story unfolds depending on the choices you make and how you play. It has a bunch of interesting races that you directly interact with by typing stuff in conversations with NPCs. Plenty of mystical lore, too. Good times...
Mother 3 for me is the game with the best story. It's simple but told in such a great way. The characters are all well defined and the game never loses it's pace.

I used to consider Final Fantasy VI as having the best story, but part of that was just a nostalgic feeling. After playing through it again while paying close attention to the story, I realized there were a few parts I didn't like as much. It's still a close second though!
Final Fantasy IX

I've played that game like a million times okay ;___;
I adore it. <3
I like that people are finally willing to admit that the amazing-ness of a game might just be a result of nostalgic attachment.

That being said, two particular RPG Stories that I instantly think of as being of superior quality are Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger.

Final Fantasy 6's story is very dark. Particularly dark for the time. There is a whole host of characters who I felt were all fairly well developed, and they all had interesting stories and interactions with one another. Edgar and Sabin's brotherhood, Relm and Shadow's hidden back story. Gau's mysterious upbringing. I particularly liked how the sides of the characters constantly fluctuated and flexed. There was a blur between good and evil for a large part of the story. Edgar's initial allegiance with the Empire, Ghestalt's change of heart. Celes' defection. And of course, the ultimately troubling initial introduction to the World of Ruin. It toyed with themes that were unheard of for the Final Fantasy series.

Chrono Trigger is also a fond memory for me for some of the same reasons. In short, the bleak future. The futility of their efforts. Chrono's untimely sacrifice and death. The fallen Kingdom of Zeal. These were all themes that are difficult to portray, particularly in a visual entertainment media and for the time (and possibly even still) are exceptional examples of how to do it properly.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
prexus
I like that people are finally willing to admit that the amazing-ness of a game might just be a result of nostalgic attachment.

That being said, two particular RPG Stories that I instantly think of as being of superior quality are Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger.

Final Fantasy 6's story is very dark. Particularly dark for the time. There is a whole host of characters who I felt were all fairly well developed, and they all had interesting stories and interactions with one another. Edgar and Sabin's brotherhood, Relm and Shadow's hidden back story. Gau's mysterious upbringing. I particularly liked how the sides of the characters constantly fluctuated and flexed. There was a blur between good and evil for a large part of the story. Edgar's initial allegiance with the Empire, Ghestalt's change of heart. Celes' defection. And of course, the ultimately troubling initial introduction to the World of Ruin. It toyed with themes that were unheard of for the Final Fantasy series.

Um. See, what you're saying about nostalgia applies completely to FFVI. So much of that is based on stuff you've filled in, because it was absent/left out/not actually developed in the least. There is so little dialogue in that game... not nearly enough to develop the, what, twelve PCs? Characters like Umaro and Gogo get basically nothing, and most other characters are pretty blah.

If you have Sabin when you go rescue "Gerad," there is, like, one bonus line of dialogue. That's the crux of my argument, really: FFVI has potential, but the amazingness is not actually there. One more generation and it could have been terrific, but it was overreaching what it could actually fit onto an SNES cartridge.

Did it toy with themes? Yes, absolutely. Did it actually execute them well? In my heretical beliefs, nope. It furthers a thin plot just barely, and people have pretended the rest is there.

One concession: Shadow/the dreams. That's some cool shit.

My favorite RPG story is Radiant Historia's. Stocke is probably my most favorite MC from any game ever, and Empress Protea is one of the most amazingly well-done antagonists. The entire story is a bunch of subversions, aversions and completely straightly-played tropes that gel together so well.

Oh, wait, Radiant Historia has two stories. It takes place on two parallel timelines that Stocke jumps between, and back and forth on, at the player's will. Seeing the differences in the characters, how your party members interact, the reactions to racism, Protea's involvement, one depressing death scene that was handled so well...

askldfhnasdklfnl I need to go through and 100% this game. I've beaten it but not gotten the "true" ending.

Stocke is my favorite MC ever because he's so bloody honest. And I don't mean that in the typical anti-hero "brutally honest" way, I mean... he's, like, a dude. With feelings. And an incredible knack for learning how to do cool shit. I guess what I'm saying is that he's not over-the-top, but he's still strong and intelligent. He's not dramatic or flat, but still shows emotion (although his reactions during the death scene were dramatic, but fully warranted and holy shit I swear Stocke is gay, despite the true ending). He's both proud and humble; he's confident, but needs a boost now and then. He asks what's right, trying to follow a "good" path, but sometimes takes bad advice for whatever reason.

He's hot and honest.

Atlus posted four interviews with the writers and artists involved with the game's design and development, all of which are worthwhile reads. I don't remember how spoilery they are, but it shouldn't be too bad. Great stuff if you're into serious dev work.

http://www.atlus.com/radianthistoria/interview.html
I never really thought dialogue, which is your main argument in FFVI discussions, Craze, is the be all end all of atmosphere, immersion, and impression. Shadow of the Colussus is a prime, if not the best example. I played FFVI only a relative few years ago and I agree with prexus all the way.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Feldschlacht IV
I never really thought dialogue, which is your main argument in FFVI discussions, Craze, is the be all end all of atmosphere, immersion, and impression. Shadow of the Colussus is a prime, if not the best example. I played FFVI only a relative few years ago and I agree with prexus all the way.

I played through FFVI last year with an analytic eye and just... couldn't find this stuff. It loses so much due to the hardware and how much it tries to do, but can't fit in.

I also find it a fairly boring game to play, so there's that, but I just, like, don't get the hype over any of the aspects (except, again, Shadow. Damn).
I guess that's a big difference between you and I that we've explored before; I just can't play through games with an analytic eye.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=emmych
Final Fantasy IX

I've played that game like a million times okay ;___;
I adore it. <3

This x10000000
The best FF game, ever.

I also adore it. <3

(I always love seeing people who say they adore it, it's so underrated)
Pages: first 1234 next last