FOR THE FORMER GW/SWERS

Pages: first 12 next last
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
For any former Gaming/Salt World members who don't hang out on both sites- I thought you should know that Drule has stepped down from the position of Admin and has left SW. He's handed over the site to Dada and Ramirez and furthermore said he hoped his departure would encourage anyone who had kept away due to any of his actions to return. He plans to work on some of his ideas and work them into new forms.
Did people leave because of Drule?

Maybe he was somehow the personification of the problems. But GW's problems run a lot deeper than that. (mostly GW nowadays is completely irrelevant combined with old baggage that makes it difficult to ever become relevant again)

Of course it's not like most GWers want it to become "relevant" again. It's a mostly insular community that has its own fun times.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I still hang out in SW irc sometimes, but yeah. The site is purposefully not about indie game dev anymore. They changed the direction and name of the site because some of the popular people were embarrassed to mention they attend "Gaming World" forums and play with rpgmaker in their late twenties.
Now its just a place where former GW people hang out to talk about regular stuff, and is most devoid of personality.

I feel bad for Bartek. I know the guy irl and he's nice. When they changed the site entirely, it's like they dumped on him. It'll be interesting to see where Rami and Dada take the site because they're both cool dudes.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Drule wasn't the reason I left. Had some good times (And bad of course) at GW and saw some great stuff come out of there, but it was time to move on. RMN I had already became apart of for a while and was just the perfect next step.
I don't think Drule had anything to do with people leaving or if it did it was a small minority. I only left because it stopped giving a crap about game making in general and just devolved into some troll community.
People were leaving because of Drule? that's news to me, as well.

In any event, I am too busy dumping on WIP by changing and running RMN these days.
BurningTyger
It may re
author=supremewarrior
I don't think Drule had anything to do with people leaving or if it did it was a small minority. I only left because it stopped giving a crap about game making in general and just devolved into some troll community.
There's been some discussion about taking it back towards indie gaming again, which is why I thought you guys might be interested..
author=BurningTyger
It may re
author=supremewarrior
There's been some discussion about taking it back towards indie gaming again, which is why I thought you guys might be interested..
Well that really depends to be honest. If you could just rewind time and set GW back to the good old days(about year 2002 circa) when everyone was enthusiastic about making their own games then it would be cool, but whether that happens or not is really up to the GW community.

I don't think it will happen to be honest but if it does, some members might not come back anyway because they have already settled down here on RMN
Tau
RMN sex symbol
If GW6 happened on time maybe GW would still be very active in game development? I think I still have a picture of GW6 *Looks for it*

I did indeed.
I don't know... I was never only around GamingW post-2005, and it seemed by then there was already a pretty large divide between the community that stuck to game dev and the community that was the real community. Almost all of the big names I remember from development found other homes after Saltworld, and I doubt there's any real way for them to go back to a focus on indie gaming. It might not be a bad thing, either.
Ah, Gamingw, the old battlegrounds. So, Drule stepped down, eh? I hardly noticed a lot of his activities seeing how I usually hanged around at the RM side of the community.
I don't know, GamingW always had an unfriendly stigma attached to it, but there really was some good stuff produced. The reason I pulled away from there wasn't because of anyone or anything in particular, I just generally visit less forums and have less time for indie game making these days.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=BurningTyger
It may re
author=supremewarrior

Contrary-wise. I talked to dada on irc, and he shot that down. They aren't changing it.
I was there from 2001-2009 and it started out a great place to be but then they pretty much abandoned the part of the community that made it fun in the first place. They started to consider rpg maker inferior and put a big wall and divide between rm game designers and "indie" game designers. I remember trying to tell them several times that it was a bad idea but they just talked down to anyone who had an opinion on the matter...it was kinda pathetic the way they went down. But that was really how it started, I even remember several topics were created to voices reason, that their handling was really incompetent but again they just brushed it all off. In a way it is in it's current state today because they just flat out chose to put on deaf ears, but honestly some bad signs from the get go was just how rude 80% of the members were to each other and this was sadly considered acceptable. GW pre 2005 was a thriving, productive place to be and after 2005 it went to garbage.

I immediately went straight here to RMN, stopped public RPG making for a year or two....enhanced and further developed my own unique style and now I'm back again. RMN has stayed true to itself so I hope that doesn't change.
yea dont think changing it back to INDIE WORLD will save it or anything, it has lost its original user base (aka rpg maker kids) to RMN, other RM sites, and just the fact that a lot of people grew out of it. it's kind of depressing (lol SALT WORLD) but I'm glad the archive was revived so i can relive the ancient texts. Drule's approach to everything was p much a failure, then again who knows if any approach could be better. man this GW discussion just... repeats itself sometimes.
BurningTyger
author=Darken
yea dont think changing it back to INDIE WORLD will save it or anything, it has lost its original user base (aka rpg maker kids) to RMN, other RM sites, and just the fact that a lot of people grew out of it. it's kind of depressing (lol SALT WORLD) but I'm glad the archive was revived so i can relive the ancient texts. Drule's approach to everything was p much a failure, then again who knows if any approach could be better. man this GW discussion just... repeats itself sometimes.
Time can't be rewound but I hope SW can find a new direction- it doesn't deserve to die.
author=Deacon Batista
Drule > Dada

But thanks for the info. One more reason not to pay GW/SW a visit again.
a clear winner in the "likelihood of banning deacon for misogyny" stakes

author=Shinan
It's a mostly insular community that has its own fun times.
i wonder how many people here regularly enter ludum dare / pirate kart hmm *strokes chin*
author=Shinan
It's a mostly insular community that has its own fun times.

i wonder how many people here regularly enter ludum dare / pirate kart hmm *strokes chin*
I think it supports my comment pretty well that I can't find out who/if any are entering ludum dare/pirate kart on SW. I guess that's pretty insular isn't it?

On the other hand I can't at a glance find out who/if any RMNers enter ludum dare or pirate kart either. But my bet would be that's either because no one is or because the ones who are don't want to be associated with an RPG maker community. (completely understandable I suppose :)
I only stopped going to GW/SW because there was no activity. I don't even know these people. But it's probably too late to try to fix anything.
Pages: first 12 next last