*EDITED* EVENTING TROUBLES AND HELP

Pages: 1
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
I've got a question, about eventing, in RPG Maker 2003.

I'm starting back on production of a mini-game of sorts. A Zombie Survival game.

I had it where each event was just a copy of the other. Same name, everything; the lazy way out. You tun, finding 'ORBS' and collecting them per map, without getting your HP down to 0 along the way. You have 4 characters. You can switch to each one pressing "Shift" and if the HERO dies, it's game over.

I got that working, and their STATS are used for mainly SPEED or how high their HP is.

Now I'm wanting to add into it a bit, by adding in weapons.
How can I event it, so when a Zombie is in your area and you're facing them, and press an attack button, it hurts them, without it effecting the other events? Even if I start over, that is still the same problem. I think I remember how to set a certain number using Variables, for it's HP, so that isn't the problem.

I plan on having a lot of zombies on each map, and it growing each map.
Start by setting up the Hero's radius detection, kentona has a tutorial if you don't know how to do that already.

Next you'd have to grab hero facing, to determine area of attack of the radius. If facing right, only values greater than your current X are used.

I would assume you'd have to track zombies to compare their values to see if they fit in the front half of your own radius. Maybe Kazesui or someone has a more advanced way of doing this.

I can't imagine how you'd have it only attack 1 event and not every event in your radius(if that's what you mean, why do that?). You could probably create some complex targeting system where you select a zombie, and only that zombie is tracked putting its variables into pointers that are used to check against your radius.

I've never tried to do this but I have thought about doing something similar before. I dunno how easy/hard it would be to track tons of zombies. Not impossible but lots of branches/variables.

Theoretically, it shouldn't be TOO difficult(at least in my head).
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I would say what kind of event because if they're independent I don't see how that could happen. Of course they're tied together by a same variable or switch, inside the events, that would be another story.
Edit : well apparently I was beaten to it, and by sone one much more expert than I.
Thiamor
Would anyone be so kind as to, maybe provide some type of an example, visually-based, that I could work with?
I'm sorry, I just work better knowing how it'd actually look.
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/9179/locker/Test.zip

The dark green grass is the radius.

The chicken walks in and out of the radius.

You can only attack the chicken while it's in the radius and you are facing it.

Press accept to attack.

Making this work against 1 enemy is pretty easy, but making this work against a multitude of enemies will be the tricky part.
Thiamor
By example, I mean a general visual that looks like this:

<>
<>
<>
<>

With your idea of how it'd work, added into that format. The common event style.

I'm also reading up on the Tutorial. This way I can use the Tut, and plug and play.

If that isn't too much to ask for. I know sometimes, asking things like this could be crossing a few lines.
If you open up that project you will see the event coding, there isn't much to it. I couldn't have just written out the code because I didn't know how it would work until I actually made it happen.
Thiamor
That download helps a lot.

It's just making it where if I'm facing it, that is giving me problems. With this, it makes it if it's in my radius, no matter where, and no matter where I'm facing, it hits it. Any suggestions?
Did you notice the second page on the radius event? I made page 1 be just the radius and page 2 has extra events at the bottom that check for direction. Guess I should have made that clear. I first had in game instructions but then the coding wasn't working and I scrapped that part.

Inside the radius event, when the enemy is in range you do the following:
You get hero facing.
You get hero X,Y.
Enemy X,Y are still tracked and don't need to be updated(in my example, if yours is different you need to make sure you get an updated copy of enemy X,Y).
Add a branch for each direction to check if the enemy is in front.

Whenever comparing coordinates the same rules always apply:

Up/Down uses Y, Right/Left uses X.
A greater Y is below, a lower Y is above.
A greater X is to the right, a lower X is to the left.

For each direction you use a conditional branch to check one thing.

Left - If enemy X is lower than hero X.
Right - If enemy X is greater than hero X.
Up - If enemy Y is lower than hero Y.
Down - If enemy Y is greater than hero Y.

You put the attacking enabler inside these branches, so it can only activate if all is true.

Make sense?

*btw, in my download I used kentona radius tutorial but I made a significant change. I used the hero as the radius detector instead of a non-hero event. Just wanted to make that clear.
Thiamor
It seems like it makes sense. I just need to have my mind not in goo mode tonight. Tired as fuck, but wanting to get the functions working before doing the actual game.

I'm really looking forward to getting it in it's first demo stages, because the game should fair well here on RMN when in working order.

Basically it's all a giant ass Custom Battle System. All on 1 screen. Not screen changes other than going to a new map. You shoot your guns, all which have a different set number it takes away from the enemies.

Say you've got a handgun, and it takes off 2 points per shoot, and it can only hold 7 rounds until you need to reload.

Also reloading is like this. You get 7 "Handgun Ammo" items. you also get like 3 sets of 'reload items' in which when you run out you hit a certain button, and it gives you 7 more ammo items until the reload item runs out.

Also there will be a Shotgun weapon in which takes off 5 points per shot.

Also is it possible at all, on RPG maker 2003, to have a program that allows buttons not used on RPG maker 2003, work on it? Say I want like the number keys to change weapons, and it doesn't use them (not sure if it allows it, I got to recheck) and so I install this program, and click for those keys to be used, then to allow the players to do it, I provide an already configured program in with the game file. Possible? If so, how?
author=Thiamor
It seems like it makes sense. I just need to have my mind not in goo mode tonight. Tired as fuck, but wanting to get the functions working before doing the actual game.

I'm really looking forward to getting it in it's first demo stages, because the game should fair well here on RMN when in working order.

Basically it's all a giant ass Custom Battle System. All on 1 screen. Not screen changes other than going to a new map. You shoot your guns, all which have a different set number it takes away from the enemies.

Say you've got a handgun, and it takes off 2 points per shoot, and it can only hold 7 rounds until you need to reload.

Also reloading is like this. You get 7 "Handgun Ammo" items. you also get like 3 sets of 'reload items' in which when you run out you hit a certain button, and it gives you 7 more ammo items until the reload item runs out.

Also there will be a Shotgun weapon in which takes off 5 points per shot.

Also is it possible at all, on RPG maker 2003, to have a program that allows buttons not used on RPG maker 2003, work on it? Say I want like the number keys to change weapons, and it doesn't use them (not sure if it allows it, I got to recheck) and so I install this program, and click for those keys to be used, then to allow the players to do it, I provide an already configured program in with the game file. Possible? If so, how?

Cool, I'll probably check it out.

You can use the number keys. Key Inputting Process numbers 10-19. There are 5 other buttons you can use on the number pad. As far as getting it to use more than that, or other buttons not in Key Inputting Process, ask for it in that DynRPG topic. Someone could probably make a plugin for it, if they didn't already.
Yes, changing default key assignments is possible with DynRPG although there is no plugin yet which "forwards" it to event commands. I'll do that soon.
Thiamor
Question.

How can I use a conditional branch along with a key input, in rpg maker 2003, if the branch doesn't have 'If key is pressed' as an option?
The key inputs store the key's ID in a variable. For instance, Down is 1, Left is 2, etc.
Your condition must check for that variable's value.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
RM2K3 has a "key input processing" event command that detects key input and stores which key is pressed in a variable. You want to make a parallel process that runs that command, and then has a conditional branch to check if that variable is equal to the right key.
Thiamor

I'm looking for a few more sets from whatever game this is from. RPG maker 2003 Sprites. Already, if you can find them, ripped/edited over.

Please, and much thanks.
It might not quite be it but they look like Tales of Phantasia's sprite style:
http://informatique.skytopic.org/1247628441-tales-of-phantasia

Also the game Arcanion hosted here uses similar sprites.
Thiamor
I've got another problem.

I can't seem to get the 'Input Key' Trigger to work as well as I'd want it to work.

I'm wanting it so that when you are touching the event and hit Shift, it takes away 2 points out of the 75 points it has, each time you hit the button.

The event is a moving event that comes towards you, and hurts you each time it hits you.

But when you hit Shift, then touch it, it jumps, automatically, to the second event page, that was made for when it dies.

I don't understand why this is happening.
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<
author=Thiamor
I've got another problem.

I can't seem to get the 'Input Key' Trigger to work as well as I'd want it to work.

I'm wanting it so that when you are touching the event and hit Shift, it takes away 2 points out of the 75 points it has, each time you hit the button.

The event is a moving event that comes towards you, and hurts you each time it hits you.

But when you hit Shift, then touch it, it jumps, automatically, to the second event page, that was made for when it dies.

I don't understand why this is happening.

I don't know much about rpgmaker, but if I had to guess it is because it is checking shift every frame, and if the game is running at 30 fps then it is going to subtract 60 points every second you are holding shift and touching the event.

In other words you want it to subtract only once per shift press.
Pages: 1