DUMBEST VIDEO GAME TWISTS?{SPOILERS}

Pages: first 1234 next last
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Pure and simple question. I was reading this topic randomly on another forum and this user was trying their hardest to rationalize the whole Final Fantasy VIII orphanage/GF twist. It was quite funny to be honest. So here I am now making this thread.

Baten Kaitos.

...Just, Baten Kaitos. This is the tip of the shitberg.
Summon Night 1 GBA where one dude ended awesomely and suddenly comes back later and was all, OOH LOOK AT ME I WAS CONTROLLED BY THE EVIL GUY ALL THIS TIME, ALL THAT NTERESTING TRAITS I HAD WERE JUST THROWN OUT OF THE WATER. Idk, that was just dumb.

In G-String I was so mad that
it wasn't this person who you thought was the main antagonist all this time, and they did a deus ex machina, it was so annoying.
It had so much potential too orz.

I have more but...I will have to recall the exact details first.
ARC RISE FANTASIA, one of my favourite games ever.
Also, home to the stupidest clusterfuck of a plot I have ever seen ever.

HERE, this is the first big cluster of "plot twists", and it pretty much only gets more fucked up and terrible from here on in.
Fuck I love this game <3
...also I counted it off. I think there are 8-9 plot twists in this scene. IB
Isn't the ending in Star Ocean 3 famously stupid?
author=Jude

It's not even so much an ending as it is an incredibly stupid twist that comes halfway through the game, and completely changes the tone of it. Not in a the good Trigun Shift kind of way, either.

It was all a MMO.

SO3 definitely had the worst one I've ever had the misfortune to experience first hand, though Tales of the Abyss had some pretty bad ones in the form of the entire final third of game. Several things happen within it, and they're all bullshit. It's made all the worse by the fact that the game could have very well ended at the 2/3s point with absolutely no changes, and have actually been pretty good. Hell, with the last portion of the game cut out, it's my favorite of the Tales games. It's crushing, really.
author=Jude

It's so bad it has been pretty much retconned in the fourth game. Which doesn't fare any better, as far as plot goes.

Also, the entire plot of Disgaea 3 is a succession of laughably ridiculous twists. The worst game of the series, really.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Star Ocean series is horrible(Though the second one is alright)anyway. Star Ocean 3 & 4.. Hell I'd play Final Fantasy XIII over those games.

Now don't get me wrong I love the Golden Sun games. Well the first two, don't have a DS to play the third one. Anyway as I was saying I love Golden Sun, but..

The Prox clan is just trying to save their village. Ok then how about you don't be murderous, kidnapping assholes and then act like the victims.

Also that new Bionic Commando with the whole "My wife is an arm" thing.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Tau
Pure and simple question. I was reading this topic randomly on another forum and this user was trying their hardest to rationalize the whole Final Fantasy VIII orphanage/GF twist. It was quite funny to be honest. So here I am now making this thread.
Or the fact Squall isn't dead after Disc 1 is a blow to logic. He is impaled in the heart by an ice shards bigger than his torso. Did someone use Raise on him and whatever other healing spell?
Aerith died after one little katana stab.

@Tau : about the commando Arm thing..
That makes me think of a comic. Panel 1: guy walks by door labelled Bionic Commando. Sfx FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP
Panel 2. Guy, "What are you doing in there?" Sfx: FFAPFA---*
Panel 3: bionic commando, "MAKING LOVE TO MY WIFE FUCK OFF!"
MGS2 had ridiculous plot twists; the whole "It's not the Colonel, it's an AI" was stupid and fucked up the game. Furthermore, the "S3 plan is not 'Solid Snake Simulation' but 'Selection for Social Sanity'" things was utter bullshit, twisting a plot twist that was already ludicrous.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=Dudesoft
author=Tau
Or the fact Squall isn't dead after Disc 1 is a blow to logic. He is impaled in the heart by an ice shards bigger than his torso. Did someone use Raise on him and whatever other healing spell?
Aerith died after one little katana stab.

@Tau : about the commando Arm thing..
That makes me think of a comic. Panel 1: guy walks by door labelled Bionic Commando. Sfx FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP
Panel 2. Guy, "What are you doing in there?" Sfx: FFAPFA---*
Panel 3: bionic commando, "MAKING LOVE TO MY WIFE FUCK OFF!"

Haha.. I feel immature for laughing at that now. Oh yeah I completely forgot about that part. Come to think of it, do they actually EXPLAIN how he recovered or even survived such an ordeal?

@Large - Metal Gear Solid 2 also had that whole "My arm is Liquid" thing.
author=ganonfrog
author=Jude
IIt's not even so much an ending as it is an incredibly stupid twist that comes halfway through the game, and completely changes the tone of it. Not in a the good Trigun Shift kind of way, either.

It was all a MMO.

And you know what was the worst part? That said plot twist also ruined Valkyrie Profile, since both games belong to the same 'universe'. =/

author=Large
MGS2 had ridiculous plot twists; the whole "It's not the Colonel, it's an AI" was stupid and fucked up the game. Furthermore, the "S3 plan is not 'Solid Snake Simulation' but 'Selection for Social Sanity'" things was utter bullshit, twisting a plot twist that was already ludicrous.

Oh, c'mon! The Metal Gear Solid series is rather whimsical allright, but their 'plot twist' are far from being dumb. For a plot twist to be ludicrous or dumb it should be something completely detached from everything else; But the MGS games do a very good job at hinting and explaining why things ultimately happen the way they do, and it's always within the boundaries of their own mythos and themes.

Edit:
author=Large
Really? Vamp reviving all the time is nanomachines? The Pain's bees are because... why? The Sorrow is in the afterlife and conjures rain and is floating around cause... why?

Because the game never intended to be completely realistic. That kind of 'fantastic' occurrences are possible within the MGS universe; deal with it... But you know, that's not even the real issue here. You're looking at things from a rather shallow perspective. Take a step back and pay attention to the meta-aspects of the story and characters in general.
Really? Vamp reviving all the time is nanomachines? The Pain's bees are because... why? The Sorrow is in the afterlife and conjures rain and is floating around cause... why?

Bro, I love Metal Gear Solid. There's no one more badass that Solid Snake, CNorris has nothing on this guy. But, seriously, if Liquid needed Solid to succeed in activating Metal Gear, why send the FoxHound unit against him in the first place? "Oh, it had to look like Solid was doing it all by himself"; they shot him from a frigging tank! Tortured him!

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
In MGS3 around the time that everyone started turning into computer programs I completely lost track of the plot. As far as I could tell the game was trying to make me realize that absolutely everything in the entire game was fake. I continued this assumption up through the end of the credits. Everything from that point on was no better than a dream sequence as far as I was concerned, especially all the dialogue from AIs imitating my teammates and fiancee and telling me that everyone I'd ever known was actually just an AI over a comm and that my personal relationships, military service, and entire life had been an elaborate hoax by an AI to make me think that I was interacting with real people. So basically nothing mattered, ever. This marks the only time in any video game I have ever stopped trying to understand or pay attention to the plot. It was actually worse than Star Ocean 3. Well, it was essentially the same as Star Ocean 3, except in SO3 they kept going with the normal plot after that, and were all like "If you believe in yourself hard enough you can make your universe exist for real!" and that at least kind of semi-justified the rest of the game. MGS3 made no such reconciliation, or if they did, I didn't catch it because literally every single character in the game was the same AI talking to each-other pretending to have conversations, and so I assumed all dialogue was pure lies.

I may have completely misinterpreted MGS3 it's been a long time guys someone please correct me here I don't really remember much about the game. I would love to learn that it actually is something else and I was just wrong and confused. Well I wouldn't love it because I still had to spend an hour fighting naked with a sword (that I think only worked because the world was an AI simulation) but it would be an improvement at least. Fuck that game was so confusing
You sure are confused, as that was MGS2

But in any case, it seems to be like this:

The game is real. The Colonel is an AI; your fiance is real. Big Shell was really taken by terrorists, and you did go there. However, the Patriots used the whole thing to run an experiment, to see if their latest AI (They have several) could handle interactions with real people and manipulate the information. It is a success.

When Otacon calls you and tells you that the Colonel is an AI, you get a call from your fiance, Rosemary and she seems to also be part of the AI; but turns out that the Patriots captured her just before that, and the last call you get from her IS the AI. After all, you meet her in Manhattan later on.

It gets even more confusing in the aftermath, when Otacon and Snake figure out who the 12 Patriots are, and they turn out to be dead fore over 100 years. MGS3 explained that those 12 were the Philosophers, some sort of Illuminati group that put together an enormous amount of money from China, Russia and USA, to I guess help the world after World War I. Major Zero, that's your commanding officer, steals the American part of the Philosophers Legacy and forms The Patriots, envisioning a world where... I don't remember, but he had a goal. Near the end of his life, he realizes that he won't see that goal reached, so he has 3 AIs created. Those AIs start functioning as The Patriots and they comissin the creation of the 4th AI, the one depicted in MGS2. Then Major Zero dies.

After MGS, it is all a Mindfuck. Kojima was high on something. The game is confusing indeed.
author=Tau
the whole Final Fantasy VIII orphanage/GF twist.

There is nothing else ever even remotely close to how stupid that was.
I actually think that Arc Rise Fantasia scene was great.

Though, the fact that Rastan really wasn't Lightning Leon was the greatest.

Every Metal Gear story after Shadow Moses was terrible. Ruined the greatest spy movie ever.

author=KreadEX
author=Jude
It's so bad it has been pretty much retconned in the fourth game. Which doesn't fare any better, as far as plot goes.

Also, the entire plot of Disgaea 3 is a succession of laughably ridiculous twists. The worst game of the series, really.

You're never really supposed to take Disgaea seriously, so it gets a pass in my book.

I'd have to say what Star Ocean 3 did to its predecessors is what makes it the worst for me.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Wait which one was the one with Raiden, that was the one I played

Yeah okay I meant MGS2

And fuck me, your accurate description of the plot is actually more confusing than my rambling incoherent one
author=LockeZ
Wait which one was the one with Raiden, that was the one I played

Yeah okay I meant MGS2

And fuck me, your accurate description of the plot is actually more confusing than my rambling incoherent one

Argh, you've never played the first MGS? Tragic if MGS2 is your lasting impression of it.
Pages: first 1234 next last