DUMBEST VIDEO GAME TWISTS?{SPOILERS}

author=Tau
Star Ocean series is horrible(Though the second one is alright)anyway. Star Ocean 3 & 4.. Hell I'd play Final Fantasy XIII over those games.

Now don't get me wrong I love the Golden Sun games. Well the first two, don't have a DS to play the third one. Anyway as I was saying I love Golden Sun, but..

The Prox clan is just trying to save their village. Ok then how about you don't be murderous, kidnapping assholes and then act like the victims.

Also that new Bionic Commando with the whole "My wife is an arm" thing.

Hey Star Ocean 1 is pretty good.
Soma Bringer...
Granada is a spy?!?! What?!

Then everyone forgets about it. It's like they put in that twist just to have it...
author=physhal
Damn this topic, opening up old wounds. I thought I had gotten over FF8 and MGS2. Anyway, I really despised most of the plot points from the last 5% of Final Fantasy 9. Its a shame because I really liked the game up until then.

Agreed. The end of the game just seemed like a copout. Up until you meet Garland, the game is amazing. If they had done almost anything more with the story, it probably would be my favorite game in the series. I really wish they had developed Vivi's story more.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=physhal
Anyway, I really despised most of the plot points from the last 5% of every Final Fantasy game. Its a shame because I really liked the games up until then.

Fixed this one for you.

I mean, really. Final Fantasy games have a long-standing history of making absolutely no goddamn sense at the end. Sometimes before that. Let's take a poll here:

FF4: The guy you thought was the villain for the entire game is actually a henchman of a guy who is part of alien race that lives on the moon and was put to eternal slumber by his race because he wanted to destroy humans eons ago before they evolved to have intelligence. His brainwaves were so strong he mind controlled people in his sleep. Then after dying he turned into a giant blue eldritch thing made out of hatred.
FF5: The main villain of the game is secretly a tree. He wants to combine two different planets into one planet, because they were originally one planet but it was split in half to seal off the power of void magic. He gets this void magic, and then lives in a castle inside a black hole and sucks pieces of the world into more black holes. He then tries to turn all existance into nothingness.
FF6: Somehow the villains cause an entire continent to float into the sky, and on it are the three goddesses of magic, which are statues, one of which is male. Then for no apparent reason one of the villains pushes the statues around and the fact that they aren't in the same configuration any more inexplicably destroys the world. Then he absorbs their power and becomes the new god of magic, and then you kill him and this time the world gets better because apparently moving a statue of a god a few inches destroys the world but killing a god heals it.
FF7: Everything you thought was true about yourself and the main villain turns out to have been the result of both of you having schizophrenic delusions. The villain was imbued at birth with cells from an alien. So were about fifteen other people and for some reason he can control them. The guy you were chasing for the first half of the game because you thought he was the main villain turned out to just be a puppet of the main villain, being controlled. Also, you were being controlled into chasing him. The main villain was really inside a pocket of slime at the north pole. Now that he's back, the planet itself is going to destroy humanity. Meanwhile the villain wants to destroy the entire planet, and then stand in the center of the earth's core while it happens, so that when the planet tries to heal itself it will heal him instead.
FF8: I can't do this game justice with an explanation. Literally nothing in this game makes sense. There's the part where you find out that you all grew up in the same orphanage but forgot because learning magic gradually causes amnesia. Then there's the part where your thoughts keep getting sent back into the past by a girl with time travel magic and you have partial control over your father's body and he can use all your moves and is as strong as you while you're doing it. Then you defeat the main villain of the game only to find out that another villain from hundreds of years in the future is trying to compress all time into a single point in order to become a god. You wait until after she does this to kill her. In comparison with these plot twists, the thing about the succession of sorceresses actually is relatively sensical; in comparison with anything that actually makes sense, or even with FF5 and FF6, it's still pretty fucking bizarre.
FF9: FF9 didn't actually bother me that much up until after you beat Kuja, and Necron appeared out of thin air and told you it has come to the conclusion that all life exists merely to seek death and so he's gonna destroy the universe. I pretend that part didn't happen and the game is mostly fine. The part about the Genome race that were all emotionless clones controlled by Garland except for Zidane and Kuja was weird but compared to the other FF games it's pretty tame.
FF10: Oh my god someone please explain this game to me. I think the main character was actually a summon spell and the world he lived in before he thought he travelled 1000 years into the future was also a summon spell that existed within the mind of the final boss, and when you killed the final boss you disappeared? I also remember the giant eldritch blimp monster destroying the world was your dad, because he was the last one who killed it, and killing it turns you into it.
FF12: The Occuria are an immortal group of invisible geometric patterns which manipulate human minds and are responsible for shaping every major historical event in the world. Vayne is one of only two people in the world who knows this and wants to destroy them. For some reason your party kills him and stops this. (FF12 is pretty tame, but really this is just a side-effect of barely even having a main plot.)
FF13: The government has two sections, a human branch and a fal'cie branch. (Fal'cie are giant eldritch monsters.) The fal'cie are above the humans. Despite this one of them apparently feels the need to disguise itself as a human and is your world's "human" leader. He intentionally orchestrated your rebellion against his government in order to help destroy the world, including himself and all other fal'cie, which he believes will help bring God back to the world because the "door to the afterlife will be thrown wide open" as the entire population of the world dies at once. All the other fal'cie are totally on board with this. Since just killing them will in fact destroy the world, it makes it kind of hard to refuse. So one of your teammates evacuates the entire population of the world to the wild lower world on his airship in a matter of about half an hour while you kill him and destroy the world. Then two chicks turn into a giant tentacle monster and then turn into crystal to keep the destroyed world from falling down on everyone.

FF Tactics isn't part of the main series but deserves an honorable mention for having the (female) leader of the Lucavi demons actually inhabit the body of Jesus, and use it to trick people into creating a religion about him. To revive the leader of the demons, a great amount of blood must be shed, and it is revealed that the war that you were involved in for the middle 70% of the game was fabricated by the demons to achieve this end, and in fact all the major conflicts of the game were caused by them. They control both national governments, the church, and all the major paramilitary and anarchic organizations.
so basically you dont understand/hate the concept of plot twists
I guess Tidus is an Aeon basically?
And then he killed his caster? Though, that doesn't really makes sense since the final Aeons kill their casters but continue to exist.
author=Gourd_Clae
And then he killed his caster? Though, that doesn't really makes sense since the final Aeons kill their casters but continue to exist.

That's not really true either, but admittedly that particular plot twist is a little hard to grasp at first.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Damn, why didn't I help Vayne? But of course, the other Occuria betrayed them. Must be a reason why you had to stop Vayne. Manipulating the characters were the only thing to do help save the world or some shit.
author=LockeZ
author=physhal
Anyway, I really despised most of the plot points from the last 5% of every Final Fantasy game. Its a shame because I really liked the games up until then.
Fixed this one for you.

No, I believe you fixed that one for you.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't mind plot twists. Sometimes they add a lot to a story! But obviously like anything else in stories, there are good ones and bad ones. I feel like the bad ones tend to fall into three categories:
1) Incomprehensible
2) Creates giant gaping plot holes
3) Drastically changes the scope and possibly even genre of the story

I think all the ones I listed for FF games fall into these three. Though what's incomprehensible to me might not be incomprehensible to other people; that one is way more of a matter of opinion than the other two. For example, I find the planet-merging thing in FF5 to be nonsensical but to someone else that probably is totally acceptable.

Also I think type 3 is completely fine if it happens early in the story. The later in the story it happens, the less I like it. Finding out after the first dungeon that the game isn't just about working to win back your official position, it's about fighting against your home country, is totally fine by me. Finding out 85% of the way through the game that the game isn't just about fighting against your home country, it's about stopping a plot by aliens, is comparatively awful.
Chrono Cross has some. Lynx's is actually the interface of Fate, a computer that has been helping humanity for a lot of years. This totally explain the sadistic glee you saw on his face when he stabbed Kid. He needed Serge's body in order to regain control over a time McGuffin, which is why he ran around doing evil stuff after he successfully got the body he needed instead of making a beeline for Fate. The real enemy is the dragons, who are evolved dinosaurs that the world itself summoned from an alternate timeline to fight humans.

There's more, but a lot of it I just didn't fully comprehend.
Brave Story
You're not a Traveler, but you'll get your wish granted anyway, but not before saving your gravely ill friend who's being molested by a toad.
It felt like they added that in the last minute to make the game longer :|
LockeZ
author=Mary 4D
It felt like they added that in the last minute to make the game longer :|

I get this feeling from so many plot twists in so many games
author=Jude
Isn't the ending in Star Ocean 3 famously stupid?

I found entire Star Ocean 3 plot fuckin' retarded the moment you find out OMG YOU'RE IN A VIDEO GAME!
LockeZ
Here is Star Ocean 3's plot in a nutshell:

The worst thing about SO3 was how the creator of the game is a random bishonen with godly powers living in a space magic castle instead of a fat nerd with a neckbeard with negative STR, DEX and CON scores living in a basement.

Unless that part was in the game too, and the final boss was his avatar? But in that case, why couldn't he just create a new one?

Yeah, it's horrible. Luckily, I was too busy enjoing the battles to care.
Even though fighting games are notorious for having weird stories, I've been upset with Tekken's for a few years now.

For the first few Tekken games, we were led to believe that Kazuya had the power of the Devil for some reason (made a deal with him or whatever). That was a really awesome concept, especially how it let him get back at Heihachi... But then Jin had the same powers, as did Jinpachi. We learned in Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 that there is a DEVIL GENE that is passed down through the Mishima family.

Seriously Namco? You took a very cool supernatural plot element like Kazuya making a deal with the Devil and instead turned it into a genetic superpower that every few generations of Mishimas happens to possess?

I don't know anyone who prefers the Devil Gene plot over the previous powers of THE Devil plot. It was a stupid change, especially now that we've had a few of these "demonic" Mishimas running around.
author=J-Man
author=Jude
Isn't the ending in Star Ocean 3 famously stupid?
I found entire Star Ocean 3 plot fuckin' retarded the moment you find out OMG YOU'RE IN A VIDEO GAME!

Hey J-Man, I sent you a PM in case you haven't noticed it yet.

And I haven't played any Final Fantasy games past number 10 (Well, that and X-2), but I thought all the ones I played had nice plot twists.
author=Gourd_Clae

The final Aeons were summoned by the Fayth if I remember correctly. Yu Yevon possessed the Aeons after they defeated Sin because they were in a weakened state from fighting Sin. Thus each successive defeat of sin made Yu Yevon stronger.

The Fayth, who are responsible for all summons, created Tidus' Zanarkand so they could continue to live after the war, because they were unsent. They could not be sent until Yu Yevon was defeated because as long as their summons were alive, they could not be sent. Or something. Yeah, it was an interesting game.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Liberty
... It was a giant tree. Suikoden IV. Yeah. Thankyou and goodnight!

never play final fantasy v