DUMBEST VIDEO GAME TWISTS?{SPOILERS}

Pages: first prev 1234 last
Heh; That's the second time that has been brought up on this topic. Seriously, what was the big deal about Exdeath being a tree? There are all kind of creatures in the Final Fantasy games. The bad dude being some kind of magical tree is kind of an inconsequential plot-twist. It's not like he was trying to trick you into believing he was a human or something... I was more surprised to learn that Ghido was a turtle. xP

Oh, and Suikoden 4... You know I love you still.
I got pretty pissed off when playing White Knight Chronicles, creating and leveling up my character to be bad ass, then finding out he's merely a secondary character? Fuck that.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
When Captain Anderson from mass effect 3 had to stay behind on Earth :(
author=Craze
Liberty
... It was a giant tree. Suikoden IV. Yeah. Thankyou and goodnight!
never play final fantasy v

Already have, but at least that made sense in the world. Suikoden is basically like our world, set in medieval, warring times with magical runes. It mostly makes sense. Then from nowhere, with no build-up at all (and there was one or two clues in FFV from what I can remember) - Giant tree as the last boss! >.<;
It didn't even have the excuse of being transformed by a rune, like some of the other last bosses of the games. Just, suddenly tree.
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria had very poorly executed plot twists.

Resonance of Fate layered plot twists onto what was a confusing/underdeveloped plot to begin with.

Heavy Rain had what would have been a good plot twist had the rest of the plot not been ridden with holes.

MGS.... Kojima bit off more than he could chew in MGS2, then had to somehow get it to all make sense in MGS4 while bringing the series to an epic close. The result was forced plot twists and off-the-charts levels of melodrama. MGS3 is the only one that fully worked for me.

I did enjoy all of the above as games.
author=Liberty
Already have, but at least that made sense in the world. Suikoden is basically like our world, set in medieval, warring times with magical runes. It mostly makes sense. Then from nowhere, with no build-up at all (and there was one or two clues in FFV from what I can remember) - Giant tree as the last boss! >.<;
It didn't even have the excuse of being transformed by a rune, like some of the other last bosses of the games. Just, suddenly tree.

I had that same complaint about Suikoden IV. Then when I played Suikoden Tactics I was surprised to find they gave a background for the tree. Apparently it was a creature from another dimension that was also the source of all rune cannon technology. Not a great explanation, but better than nothing. Its also not acceptable to have to play an entirely different game just to have a final boss explained.
The problem with the tree is not that it was a poorly executed plot twist, because it wasn't a plot twist. (at least, it didn't felt like one until Suikoden Tactics) The way I interpreted it, Graham Cray just summoned a monster to fight for him. Something not uncommon to see, really, just not the kind of trick you expect at the end of a game... It felt, irrelevant. Specially when in contrast to all the other Suikoden last bosses, which have been True Rune Reincarnations.

Edit: Yeah, I wasn't remembering that part correctly. But now that I have watched it again, I think is more reasonable to believe that Graham was awakening the slumbering beast behind him, rather than just bringing to life some random tree that was there.
He didn't actually summon it. It was said in Suikoden IV that there was a tree that provided the ammunition for the shells. Okay, fine. That makes some kind of sense, having them be by-products of the tree. Even having the tree as some kind of monster is fine. But to have that as the last boss? There you are with your pimped out team, looking forward to battling against the guy who's been pulling the strings all game when suddenly the tree 'comes to life' and SPOILER kills him and suddenly becomes enough of a threat on its own to rate as THE LAST BOSS, despite perhaps on NPC reference in the whole game.

(Those Angel fluffballs would have made a better last boss. I don't know about you guys, but they pissed me off a lot, the way they got in the way of collecting treasure! >.<; )

Seriously? The tree was never referenced in-game as a living creature. No, just a tree. The fact that they talk more about it in the 'sequel' is inconsequential. As far as anyone playing the game the first time is concerned, the tree suddenly just came to life and stole the last battle slot. It was a definite WTF moment, and not in a good way.

Then again, a lot of people have said that they should have made Tactics and IV one complete game. That probably would have helped flesh out a mediocre (compared to the rest of the series) game a bit lot more.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
When Moonbase Alpha was spammed to hell until the game crashed.
Arcanum did a kind of shitty job using plot twists as a way to deconstruct RPG tropes. For instance for about 90 percent of the game you're led to believe that you're the reincarnation of an old savior, but really he's still alive. It was actually kind of a cool twist but you just kind of found the guy and he anticlimactically told you who he was. The next 10 percent of the game tells you that the rest of what you were led to believe was false in a similar fashion.

And if we're counting unsurprising twists as bad twist, the identity of the masked man in Mother 3. I figured it out as soon as they mistook Lucas for the masked man... which I believe is the first time he's mentioned.
Oops, I pressed the enter button twice... feel free to delete this.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
author=Puppet_Master
Arcanum did a kind of shitty job using plot twists as a way to deconstruct RPG tropes. For instance for about 90 percent of the game you're led to believe that you're the reincarnation of an old savior, but really he's still alive. It was actually kind of a cool twist but you just kind of found the guy and he anticlimactically told you who he was. The next 10 percent of the game tells you that the rest of what you were led to believe was false in a similar fashion.

And if we're counting unsurprising twists as bad twist, the identity of the masked man in Mother 3. I figured it out as soon as they mistook Lucas for the masked man... which I believe is the first time he's mentioned.

First game I brought for my first pc, the game itself was shit to me, and never played it since. Dumbest plot twist for me, lol. Should of gotten a better one.

I played the shit out of that game. I loved the atmosphere and quests and stuff, but the story was kind of eh.
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy
The last bit of the game suddenly introduces some shit about Mayan prophecies or something. There's no buildup or foreshadowing to this, iirc.

Drakengard
The "Watchers" mentioned throughout the game are revealed to be giant flying killer babies. Also, all of ending E.

(I've only read the let's play of Drakengard on SA. I'm glad I didn't play this game, haha)
author=Melkino
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy
The last bit of the game suddenly introduces some shit about Mayan prophecies or something. There's no buildup or foreshadowing to this, iirc.

Drakengard
The "Watchers" mentioned throughout the game are revealed to be giant flying killer babies. Also, all of ending E.

(I've only read the let's play of Drakengard on SA. I'm glad I didn't play this game, haha)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA YES BOTH OF THESE THINGS OTL
oh man these games are sooooo buh XD
Pages: first prev 1234 last