BOSS BATTLE DESIGN CONTEST - SACRIFICIAL LAMB

Pages: first 1234 next last
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
A contest approaches! Command?

BOSS BATTLE DESIGN CONTEST
Sacrificial Lamb

Goal
The goal of this contest will be to design a boss encounter. This actually requires designing not only the enemy, but the party members as well! A good boss encounter is designed with the party members' abilities in mind.

Theme
The theme this time is "sacrificial lamb". Try to incorporate this idea heavily into the boss strategy somehow! It can be part of the player's abilities, the boss's abilities, or both.

Rules
- Any engine is fine.
- The battle system should be a primarily menu-based RPG battle system, not an action-driven battle system. ATB, turn-based, and tactical RPG battles are all fine. A full-fledged ABS is not appropriate for this contest.
- Obviously, the boss should not be one you've already made for another game. Nor should the player party. Similarities are fine though.
- However, using battle systems and scripts you have lying around from another game is fine. In fact, it is strongly encouraged. This contest is not about designing a battle system, it's about designing a battle.
- If you want, the game can contain a tiny dungeon with tutorials and warm-up battles. This isn't necessary, but it's allowed if you think it helps teach the player how your game works. Please no 30 minute dungeons, just enough to give the boss some context.

Submission
Unlike a mapping contest, a screenshot is obviously not a viable method of submission here. We're going to need to play it.

You don't need to include RTP if you're using any of the RPG Maker programs. The judges already have the RTP.

Upload the game to your locker or to a file-sharing service like Rapidshare and post it in this topic.

You can submit multiple boss battles, or change boss battles after they're submitted, as long as you meet the deadline.

Judging
Entries will be scored by a panel of experienced, brilliant and charming judges. Craze, Skie Fortress and I will be judging the entries.

If your game is made in RPG Maker XP, Craze won't be able to play it on his computer (unless he fixes it). In that case your score will be an average of just the other two judges, instead of an average of all three.

The criteria for judging will be entirely based on gameplay. Is the boss battle too easy? Too complex? Can it cause cheap kills? How much problem-solving is involved? How much sense does it make? How well does it adhere to the theme? Does it create an exciting and difficult but undoubtedly beatable and fair challenge?

Graphics, animations, sound, music, etc. will not be judged and will not affect your score. Use the RTP or whatever you have lying around.

Deadline
Deadline is four weeks from now, Mar 21, 2012.

Prizes
Like the previous boss battle contest, the first place winner gets to pick my new avatar, which I will keep for a whole month.
We might also get some makerscore up in this bitch, if I can bribe kentona.
By sacrificial lamb...you mean a boss that would make you feel more like you're sacrificing it? Or just a boss...somehow relating to a lamb. If I can incorporate a boss relating to a lamb into a strategy, you'll think I'm retarded XD But really, what is it?
Hmmm, I'll sign up.

EDIT:

Guys, it has nothing to do with sheep.

EDITEDIT:

But it CAN, I suppose.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
A sacrificial lamb is the idea of one person or object (or resource or monster or other thing) being sacrificed in place of another.
author=LockeZ
A sacrificial lamb is the idea of one person or object (or resource or monster or other thing) being sacrificed in place of another.

Oh, so basically, a battle, that turns into ANOTHER battle, because the boss you made, becomes a different boss right?
I think I've got this...I think.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
dibs on final lambtasy VII
author=slashphoenix
dibs on final lambtasy VII

I'm going for Evil Pyro the Hedgehog vs. Pyro the Hedgehog battle.
LockeZ
author=pyrodoom
author=LockeZ
Oh, so basically, a battle, that turns into ANOTHER battle, because the boss you made, becomes a different boss right?
The idea of sacrificing something or someone for the sake of something or someone else is the theme. It can be part of the player's abilities, the boss's abilities, or both.

In the apparently extremely likely case that you do not understand the concept of themes and symbolism, then sure, do what you said.
It can also mean sacrificing monsters on the field. I.E A dinosaur that eats wolves in the same battle, gaining stronger and learning new abilities ect.
LockeZ
Indeed, however you want to interpret it.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
World of lambcraft. Baa

But I have some good ideas for this. Maybe I'll join in if I get a spare weekend.
I was waiting for this but you just had to pick the right time where I'm working hard over something ;_;
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I'm thinking about it. I couldn't use BR's established cast, but I could use a different cast consisting of the non-playables.

OH GOD IDEAS
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
You know what’s funny? I actually have a boss like that in my game. I don’t know if I’ll enter... but you never know.
author=LockeZ
author=pyrodoom
author=LockeZ
The idea of sacrificing something or someone for the sake of something or someone else is the theme. It can be part of the player's abilities, the boss's abilities, or both.

In the apparently extremely likely case that you do not understand the concept of themes and symbolism, then sure, do what you said.

O.K...I've got a feeling that by sacrificing one thing, for another, isn't a boss switch, but instead, more like a save a team member...but then again...
So, I would need a character that would basically need to be sacrificed, Evil Pyro, then have something that needs to be saved, another character that I can't think of right now...or, have it in reverse...you know what, I'll just search this up and see if I get anything XD
LockeZ
Well, you don't need to do it a specific way of course, part of the fun is to see how different people make use of the theme. However you want to translate the idea into game mechanics that you think would be fun is fine.

Telling the other contestants your ideas probably isn't a good plan! Put the battle together and submit it and show us what kind of hopefully awesome stuff you can think up.
author=LockeZ
Well, you don't need to do it a specific way of course, part of the fun is to see how different people make use of the theme. However you want to translate the idea into game mechanics that you think would be fun is fine.

Telling the other contestants your ideas probably isn't a good plan! Put the battle together and submit it and show us what kind of hopefully awesome stuff you can think up.

:3 oh sorry, well your right! I'll just do what you just said -_- time to make a boss battle!
LockeZ
The battle system should be a primarily menu-based RPG battle system, not an action-driven battle system. ATB, turn-based, and tactical RPG battles are all fine. A full-fledged ABS is not appropriate for this contest.

Sorry! I have nothing against Action RPGs, but I think they play too differently from other types of RPGs to be able to be fairly compared to the other entries.
Pages: first 1234 next last