SETTING UP A NEW EVENT

Pages: 1
24 Hour RPG Competition

Hey guys, we here at Everbreakers have been thinking of setting up a monthly event were you guys are given 24 hours to create a short RPG. You can use as many scripts as you like. Each 24 hour game event will have one specification that you’ll have to abide by. For example, one could be that the genre is sci-fi, or that one of the key characters is... a fish. We won’t be announcing these final spec detail s until 10 minutes before that particular competition has started.
You will be given 24 hours to create your game and an hour after to send it to us.
Once that hour is up we will not take any more games so be aware that you will have to get it in on time, once we have compiled your games they will be sent to are 3 game tester who will play them and mark them out of 5 they will write a 1 minute game review and this will be posted on our web site.
We are hoping to have all the games played and reviewed in 2 weeks and the winner will then be announced.

Let me know if your Interested please :D

Lee and Edgar
I think its a good idea, but I think announcing it an hour before it starts is a bad idea. Why not make it so you have a week to submit it?
author=Arandomgamemaker
I think its a good idea, but I think announcing it an hour before it starts is a bad idea. Why not make it so you have a week to submit it?

the problem with giving people a week to submit means they have an extra week to work on it maybe 5 hours max but it would be unfare to those who abide by the rule if others didnt.

Everbreakers is a small RPG company.
I think you can trust the community to abide to such a rule, then again I don't know who you are so....

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1882/ we had a simular contest with a week deadline but a 24hr max dev time and it worked out fine. Idk it's probably better to have a week deadline because most of us can only spend like 2 hours a day on hobbies.
author=Darken
I think you can trust the community to abide to such a rule, then again I don't know who you are so....

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1882/ we had a simular contest with a week deadline but a 24hr max dev time and it worked out fine. Idk it's probably better to have a week deadline because most of us can only spend like 2 hours a day on hobbies.

Correct.
author=Darken

Did it work well tho?
i dont mind extending the deadline but i need to know how well it worked.
"it worked out fine"

From his post. And yes, it worked out great. Were a pretty trustworthy community and stuff. \^.^/
With competitions like these you have to trust that the competitors are going to be honest. That said, yes, the last event worked out well. There's been a few events like this over the years - ranging from 3 hour projects, to weekend projects and 1 hour ones.
They can be a lot of fun, but some people can't spend a straight 24 hours on a project at a time, so giving it over a week allows for them to work out some time throughout the week.

What I'd recommend: Give a week to do and hand in. Set a GMT time at the end of the week that it has to be in by.

It sounds like fun, though, since it's been a while since we last had one of these competitions. Mind you, having them often, you'll end up noticing a drop in competitors after a while as it becomes something people get sick of, so mixing it up a bit is a good idea.
Action 52 worked decently well. You have to be clear in what the 24 hours is for. Some people took it as once you start your project you have 24 hours to submit it while the intention was 24 hours of dev time total trusting the user to keep track of it themselves and being honest. A52 was meant to be a fun event to see what gets made, not some kind of competition (I did have an optional "how long did it take you?" for submissions but that was out of curiosity than anything else and I didn't expect hard values for anything). I think that's the best mindset for these kind of events to try and get participants involved. Let them decide their schedules and trust them to follow the rules and you'll get more participants and improve the mood of the event.

*edit*
For reference I ran and took part in the Action 52 event
We took a similar approach for the recent 3-hour events - you only got 3 hours of development time, but there was a 24 hour window to do it in. It was a full 3 hour block though; once you knew the theme/rules, you had 3 hours to get your submission done.

We trusted the participants to adhere to the rules, and I think everyone did.
Wasn't it 4h? The one about sequels that should never be made?
@Calunio: Yup. It was 4 hours because it was for the 4th birthday of RMN.
Well, considering some of us (me) are still attending school, getting ANYTHING done in a single day is, frankly, impossible.
author=SakiPai
Well, considering some of us (me) are still attending school, getting ANYTHING done in a single day is, frankly, impossible.

You can always get out of the school like me, and as an extra, you future will be harder (just like a game) :D
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
Might be interested.

Also, your avatar is great kainban.
author=SakiPai

Isn't that what weekends are for...?
Pages: 1