WHAT ARE THE CONTROLS FOR RMVX GAMES?

Pages: 1
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
I've searched all over the web and can't find the answer to such a simple and basic question. I'm surprised more developers don't include some kind of basic manual and just assumes everyone knows rpgmaker shortcuts. I can only imagine how many potential new players/developers to rpgmaker games may have gotten frustrated and turned away by such a simple bad first impression.

Using arrows to walk and enter to select might seem a little obvious, but not things like the cancel/menu button or full screen. More importantly, how do I EXIT a game, when the creator conveniently took out the default menu and title screen, and didn't bother to put an exit option anywhere? Is going out of fullscreen and closing the window manually the only way?
X/ESC/Spacebar is the menu.
Z/Enter is Confirm.
Full Screen is alt+enter like any other program.

To exit, press alt+f4 or if they included it in their menus, it's quit/system > return to title screen/exit window I think.
F12 will reset to the Title screen.
F1 will bring up options to change things like whether it starts off in full screen or not, music/sound on or off at start up, change the control buttons, etc.
F9 allows you to enter debug mode if you're test playing in the program.

The Number pad 0/insert button can also be used for menu/cancel.
Enter/Z is also used for interaction.

There are actually quite a few games that have in-game tutorials though a lot of developers assume that most people who are playing the games have had experience with RM* programs before. There are also quite a few games with manuals in the form of Read Me text files.

Also, be careful when making topics - you've made three by accident.
author=Dyluck
I've searched all over the web and can't find the answer to such a simple and basic question. I'm surprised more developers don't include some kind of basic manual and just assumes everyone knows rpgmaker shortcuts. I can only imagine how many potential new players/developers to rpgmaker games may have gotten frustrated and turned away by such a simple bad first impression.

They never state the controls because the controls are stated in the official program help tutorials.
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
Thanks for the controls.

author=Liberty
Also, be careful when making topics - you've made three by accident.

That's a bug with this forum's captcha system.

author=eplipswich
They never state the controls because the controls are stated in the official program help tutorials.

That only helps RM developers, not the other people playing their games.
I wouldn't recommend f12 since for VX it can crash the game.
I've never had that issue, Nessy. It might be the version? Or maybe a script issue?
That's an odd one.
It's a script issue, I don't know with which scripts though.
author=Liberty
I've never had that issue, Nessy. It might be the version? Or maybe a script issue?
That's an odd one.

When you press f12 in VX, it doesn't reload all the scripts, so it will disable functionality for some, etc. Something around those lines.
Liberty; exactly as Nessy said. It doesn't reinitialize scripts. Scripts CAN be made to understand this, and either only require initialization once or re-initialize appropriately, but MANY don't. This was an issue in XP, as well as VX and VXA.

The actual controls for VX are in the Input module.
By default, I believe they are:
Input::A, Input::B, Input::C, Input::X, Input::Y, Input::Z, Input::L, Input::R, Input::Up, Input::Down, Input::Left, Input::Right and I think Input::Shift, Input::Space, Input::Esc, and Input::Enter.

However they don't correspond quite like that, respectively they are:
Input::A = Shift
Input::B = X, Esc, and Numpad 0
Input::C = Z, Space, and Enter
Input::X = A
Input::Y = S
Input::Z = D
Input::L = Q
Input::R = W
Input::Up = Up
Input::Down = Down
Input::Left = Left
Input::Right = Right
and if they exist (haven't checked)
Input::Enter = Enter
Input::Shift = Shift
Input::Space = Space
Input::ESC = Esc

In the Game Properties menu (F1 while playing) you can reassign any of these inputs. However the assignable keys are:
Space, Enter, Esc, Numpad 0, Shift, Z, X, C*, V*, B*, A, S, D, Q, W
* C, V, and B are not used by default.

During the XP days I made a habit of replacing the entire menu so that I knew for a fact that when I said "Press Z" in game, the player would have to press Z. I don't actually know if there is an Input script like that for VX or VXA.
The problem is that in german keyboards (I think it was German) their Z keys are too far away, that's why they get mad about this haha. It's better to show the whole controls better as interchangeable in f1 type.
Pages: 1